LegacyGT.com

cheap 4pots?

naimouasta

whenever a 2.5i guy asks about putting brembo's on his car, he usually gets flamed for having a car not worthy of brembo's LOL. best upgrade would be just to upgrade to LGT brakes since it will be the most cost effective for performance.

i was looking around and i've found that some of the guys over at nasioc are using nissan z32/r32 calipers. there are two versions, 26mm and 30mm versions. using the 30mm version and custom bracket they were able to utilize the larger LGT rotor, so a decent upgrade plus bling 4pots. plus they are aluminum so you save on weight vs LGT calipers (although some argue that the aluminum ones flex). the calipers also use regular subaru 4pot pads/rebuild kits and our the brake line banjo bolts bolt in once the brass insert in the nissan caliper is removed. only thing i'm not sure is the rear, if you're able to use the LGT rear vented rotors. still trying to figure that out.

these calipers are also fairly cheap too comparing to used LGT calipers or subaru 4 pots. for example here ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Nissan-Z32-Calipers-R32-S13-S14-30mm-Aluminum-300zx-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c1cc0e0fQQitemZ110625558031QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories ) they are going for $349 shipped for aluminum ones front and rear.

just starting this thread to through some info around. maybe those that know or done anything can add to it.

threads of note.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573612

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102184

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573612

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567707

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041334

Put whatever brakes you want on the car.

I was a hairs-breadth of putting my Brembos on my old, lifted, 1998 Forester.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What size rotors goe with the Nissan calipers? The 300z 4-pot calipers were very similar to the FHI 4-pot (06-07 wrx) however, the bigger issue is that the rotors associated with the FHI 4-pots are actually smaller than LGT rotors, so you'd want to go with the LGT rotors over the FHI/300z setup in my opinion.

Also no matter what car you have, you can never have too much brake!

-mike

according to what i read, there are two versions of the caliper. 26mm and 30mm which refers to how thick of a rotor you can use. the 26mm were on the 90'+ nonturbo and 90' turbo. 91'+ turbo 300zx are 30mm versions. the r32 skyline gts also get the 30mm and are all aluminum. the 300zx, some are aluminum some not. the 26mm versions are similar in size with the FHI 4pots. using the 30mm version, you can use the LGT sized rotors. of course you need custom brackets to use either which are avaliable.

like i said these are faily cheap, for $350 you can get a set of 4 calipers shipped. a lot cheaper then FHI 4pots, but you got to factor in the cost of brackets.

as far as rebuilding them, they both use the same rebuild kit as our FHI 4pots. they also use the same pads.

FHI vs nissan 30mm. looks like you are increasing brake torque, but using the same pads, there is not increase in pad area thats biting.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/jago785/CIMG0006.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/jago785/CIMG0283.jpg

also i read somewhere where a racing team is using this setup because you can fit these under 16's whereas you can't with LGT sliding calipers.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn321/rsjeff/DSCN0985.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

you can get the brackets here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041334 .

i had thoughts about this. i think its probably better to just get a set of used brembos. figure with this nissan setup, 350ish for calipers, 310 for brackets, and add more for rotors and pads, your're still looking at 800-1000 bucks. for about the same or a little more i can get brembo's that perform better and look better.

you can get the brackets here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041334 .

i had thoughts about this. i think its probably better to just get a set of used brembos. figure with this nissan setup, 350ish for calipers, 310 for brackets, and add more for rotors and pads, your're still looking at 800-1000 bucks. for about the same or a little more i can get brembo's that perform better and look better.

Sounds like an hassle, I've seen front 5x100 brembo setup (caliper,rotor,pads) sell as low as $500 and on average sell for around $700.

doing brembo+bracket+new pads/rotors. is bout 1500 said and done, not including the wheels that you need to fit them.

I'm also thinking doing wilwood front w/4pot rotors/pads for $999.00

rear: new pads/rotors/lines/WRX 2 pot caliper ( bout $550) said and done, this combo fit under 5spoke stock wheels.

Paying $1500 for a front brembo setup is absurb. The $1500 price range sounds closely similar to what a rear brembo setup would cost. You can pick up new ceramic pads from autozone for $60 with a lifetime warranty/replacement and front rotors will cost you $150 from kns brake (standard centrics). The fronts do not require additional brackets as they are basically bolt ons. Used front calipers will cost $400-600, these can be found at these prices regularly on NASIOC. Throw in a rebuild kit for $50 and you have a new front brembo setup from anwhere to $600-800, sounds a lot cheaper than your $1500 quote.

The only problem that I see are the rims, as you pointed out.

Why pay all that money for a caliper setup that has the same rotor size as a stock LGT?

IIRC 30mm was not aluminum and 26mm had 2 versions one aluminum and one is not

but it could be other way around

26mm was not aluminum and 30mm had 2 versions one aluminum and one is not

and yes R32 rear brakes are the same as Z32 rear brakes, my friend has a Z32 one on one side, and R32 one on the other

Paying $1500 for a front brembo setup is absurb. The $1500 price range sounds closely similar to what a rear brembo setup would cost. You can pick up new ceramic pads from autozone for $60 with a lifetime warranty/replacement and front rotors will cost you $150 from kns brake (standard centrics). The fronts do not require additional brackets as they are basically bolt ons. Used front calipers will cost $400-600, these can be found at these prices regularly on NASIOC. Throw in a rebuild kit for $50 and you have a new front brembo setup from anwhere to $600-800, sounds a lot cheaper than your $1500 quote.

The only problem that I see are the rims, as you pointed out.

Why pay all that money for a caliper setup that has the same rotor size as a stock LGT?

$1500 was base on all 4 corner price.

4 brembo caliper/pads/rotors/lines.

$1200 which needs new pads/new rotors/possibly caliper rebuild kit.

Just cross check autzone web site for 04/STI turbo 2.5.

autozone rotors/$85ea front / $45 ea rear = $260.00

autozone pads /$65Front / $45 rear= $110.00

$1200(plus shipping ($30)+260+110.00 = $1600.00 w/out SS lines & caliper rebuild kit if needed.

$1200 which needs new pads/new rotors/possibly caliper rebuild kit.

Just cross check autzone web site for 04/STI turbo 2.5.

autozone rotors/$85ea front / $45 ea rear = $260.00

autozone pads /$65Front / $45 rear= $110.00

$1200(plus shipping ($30)+260+110.00 = $1600.00 w/out SS lines & caliper rebuild kit if needed.

Why would they include calipers and pads if you need to buy new ones. Your perspective seems to be of the "cup is half empty" type.

All rotors will have surface rust with even minimal amount of moisture, a drive around the block will get rid of it. A rebuild will most likely be unnecessary, just by looking at the paint (brembo paint fade with track use) the seals should still be in good shape. SS lines are unnecessary by the way.

You can stick to your $1550 setup that is marginally smaller than the Brembos and is not even an upgrade compared to a standard LGT setup. $1500 for 4/2pots sure sound great :lol:

BTW OP just go with the Brembos or wait for Stoptech setups for sale on NASIOC. I seen some Stoptech setups go for as low as $700.

Guess that's your opinion... cause in my mind if I'm going to do a bbk job I'll do it right the first time & not 1/2 ass it & put old parts back on the car.

I wouldn't even call your setup a BBK, unless you mean bling brake kit. Switching calipers does not equal a big brake kit.

I wouldn't even call your setup a BBK, unless you mean bling brake kit. Switching calipers does not equal a big brake kit.

Nonetheless, it's most likely an upgrade in terms of reducing stopping distance and reducing unsprung weight. The LGT stock brakes are heavily biased to the front. Reducing piston diameter reduces brake torque in front and moves the bias rearwards allowing the rear brakes to contribute more to stopping the car. The LGT front rotor already has a lot of mass...

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Nonetheless, it's most likely an upgrade in terms of reducing stopping distance and reducing unsprung weight. The LGT stock brakes are heavily biased to the front. Reducing piston diameter reduces brake torque in front and moves the bias rearwards allowing the rear brakes to contribute more to stopping the car. The LGT front rotor already has a lot of mass...

Yes, the LGT stock brakes are heavy so there will some improvement in unsprung weight, but I will disagree in stopping distance. There may be improvement in pedal feel and fade resistance but there has been no proven evidence of improved braking distances with a caliper swap on stock rotor dimensions nor swapping to bigger rear brakes.

The front LGT rotors are large but why shell out close to $1000 for basically the same thing you already have? The stock LGT calipers are fine and often used as BBK for other Subarus. Only real reason to swap them out is for the track and even that can be comprimised. Great thread on the bbk reviews and comparing a upgraded stock brake setup. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-set-up-reviews-including-bbks-71880.html

Brake bias is very hard to determine as slight changes in suspension components disrupt its the basic foundations (springs, swaybars, etc). That is for whole other thread :phttp://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bbk-brake-bias-list-30088p2.html

This got way off topic, I was basically agreeing with the OP that getting a set of front brembos would basically cost around the same price as pairing out front 2 pots that yields no real improvements.

Not to put a damper on things, but unless you are heavily tracking a modified LGT, the stock brakes with Hawk HP+ or similar pads will work very well.

The calipers shown above the FHI 4-pots use the WRX sized rotors which are significantly smaller than the LGT stock rotors. You lose 2 things and gain 1. You have less heat sinking ability of the rotors, and you have less moment arm. You gain less unsprung weight.

Unless you are putting on the FHI 4-pots so that you can run special 16" or 15" rally tires, there is no point in going to that setup.

As for the Brembo front calipers, it will give you better pedal feel but the rotors themselves are only a few mm larger than the stock rotors.

I ran Brembos up front and stock rears with no issue and I HEAVILY track my car.

-mike

I'm looking for a GREAT pedal feel the mushiness really annonys me. if the Brembos fit under stock 5 spoke wheel i would be all over it, on the other hand wilwood do fit under it & gives a better pedal feel, so i was thinking I might as well get those, I did read something bout pads/rotors/lines/dot4 fluid does improves it a little. don't want to spend that kind of money & find out I don't like them. I've driven wilwood on NX2000 & it felt great & NSX calipers on my prelude and that's only 2 piston upgrade w/lines & stock rotors, this felt awesome. IMO swinging for the wilwood kit is the best over all for my taste.

The pedal feel will get better but it will not ever have the same pedal feel as other cars.

For instance I had brembos on my LGT in the front w/SS Lines, ATE Superblue Hawk HP+ pads and flushed the brakes every 2-3 months. The pedal feel was a little better than stock setup w/ss lines, ate, hp+ pads. I now own an STi with Brembos front and rear, it's got 1500 miles on it. Pedal feel is about the same as my LGT was with front brembos. On my 05 CTS-V, it is stock wtih 4-pot Brembos all around and Hawk HP+ pads and SS Lines, weighs in at about 400lbs more than my STi and the pedal feel is 1000x better. So no matter what brakes you put on there I wouldn't look for any miracles.

-mike

• 1 month later...

Ok,I'm seeing a common theme here that the only two links left that make any sense to add the mushy pedal feel is the brake booster or subaru master cylinder.

Why not just go dumb and get a master cylinder from a completely different vehicle and adapt?

What would be the considerations for vacuum level and such, and would the key measurement be total volume pushed?

Just a thought. I know this has been discussed about swapping between subarus, but maybe the solution lies in a whole different manufacturer?

• 1 month later...

Where do you get the brackets for the conversion?

What is the part number?

someone posted the dollar amount (where did this quote come from?)

If anyone is in Northern Arizona that wants to get paid to help and has done this or anyone can walk me through it please help a fellow future owner (buying mid may).

Thanks,

What will I need to swap to 300zx z32/r32 on the following vehicles:

2004 Legacy gt

2000 legacy L

I can get the rotors/calipers and lines.

what about adapters?

will the rear fit? What will I need for this?

this is not easy to find online so any help is much apreciated.

sorry to post a lot but this is something that I have been thinking about for months now.

Thank you,

Archived