LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the 3.6 in yours is better, but our tribeca on the highway at least is pretty laggy with throttle. I press and for a bit nothing then push a little more and it feels like it drops two gears and starts screaming like a banshee but doesn't really go like one. Lol in sport it reacts like it should in normal mode. For the size and weight it still handles very well definitely no complaints there after changing the old shocks/struts for kyb replacements.

Maybe the 3.6 in yours is better, but our tribeca on the highway at least is pretty laggy with throttle. I press and for a bit nothing then push a little more and it feels like it drops two gears and starts screaming like a banshee but doesn't really go like one. Lol in sport it reacts like it should in normal mode. For the size and weight it still handles very well definitely no complaints there after changing the old shocks/struts for kyb replacements.

Since you might know what side has cylinders 2, 4 & 6?

2014 36K, no CVT issues.

2015 20K, no CVT issues.

Neighbors 12 or 13, over 200K, no cvt issues.

Do you know if your neighbors have done any fluid changes on the cvt?

That's what I was looking for. I haven't been able to find a CVT that hit 150,000 miles. If the one mentioned above hit 200,000 then I may have some faith in these things after all.

I called 5 private sellers in my area selling higher mileage Subarus with CVT's and three had them replaced. Two were replaced within the warranty period and the third was at approx. 100,000 miles.The highest mileage one that was still going has 135,000 miles. None of them had more than 135,000 miles and all claimed they never changed the fluid.

Do you know if your neighbors have done any fluid changes on the cvt?

LOL, The answer is a positive NO. They do all highway and never check anything. They had 100K before they checked brakes, LOL...:eek:

They check or add oil when the light comes on!! Not car people, I guess they have a guardian angel.

Edit/ It gets funnier. The wife hammers the heck out of the car and the husband said she refuses to gas it up till the light comes on.... I can only laugh.

Edited by cerbomark

Its funny the way things work out sometimes, but you have to keep in mind cars are made to run they aren't made to sit around. Which sadly is what many do. My dad is very old school and thinks the world of low-mileage cars. I tell him and tell him that low miles isn't always a good thing, but in one ear and out the other. Of course he still lives in the times of burning oil was expected and hoses and belts needed replacement on a biannual basis.

Our tribeca is an 07 and still has the original hoses on the cooling system, that would be unheard of in the old days. I have replacements just need time to get it done.

LOL, The answer is a positive NO. They do all highway and never check anything. They had 100K before they checked brakes, LOL...:eek:

They check or add oil when the light comes on!! Not car people, I guess they have a guardian angel.

Edit/ It gets funnier. The wife hammers the heck out of the car and the husband said she refuses to gas it up till the light comes on.... I can only laugh.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's best not to change the fluid in these things.

Update: 92k miles, getting progressively more jerky, mainly in stop/go traffic and coasting/breaking. Haven't really noticed any issues when accelerating. I baby this car, 90% highway miles. I will probably get the ECU/TCU program updates and see if that helps. CVT fluid was drained/filled at about 70k.

Update: 92k miles, getting progressively more jerky, mainly in stop/go traffic and coasting/breaking. Haven't really noticed any issues when accelerating. I baby this car, 90% highway miles. I will probably get the ECU/TCU program updates and see if that helps. CVT fluid was drained/filled at about 70k.

Was there any jerkiness before you had the CVT drained and filled?