LegacyGT.com

Toggle ABS motor for bleeding brakes

Is there a way to toggle ON the ABS motor when bleeding brakes. I heard it can be done with SSM but is there a way to do it with Tactrix or anything like that?

I recently did a brake fluid change with a Motive Power Bleeder and I feel like I still have air in the system. I bleed it out twice and in between drove the car to trigger the ABS but it seems like it's not perfect.

Yes I have a Tactrix. I tried using FreeSSM before but was not able to find anything related to the VDC Control Module or ABS. After doing some research looking at other forums, people also mention FreeSSM would do it but never say where that option shows up. I also heard that you need to connect the green diagnostic connector but I don't think that applies for 5th-gen Legacys.

After doing some research looking at other forums, people also mention FreeSSM would do it but never say where that option shows up.

Yeah, I assumed it would show under system tests. Just went out and used FreeSSM for the first time actually... no bueno. Cascade emulator doesn't have the option either (misremembered, it did for my old Hyundai).

I have a Launch X431 Pro tool, so that's what I used when I bled mine. I bet the HT200 from Walmart has the option. I have one here but it hasn't been activated so I can't know for sure. Don't want to activate it because it's just a backup device in case something happens to my Launch tool. You could get one from walmart and "test" it. They have a great return policy. ;)

Edited by Plastixx

Yeah, I assumed it would show under system tests. Just went out and used FreeSSM for the first time actually... no bueno. Cascade emulator doesn't have the option either (misremembered, it did for my old Hyundai).

I have a Launch X431 Pro tool, so that's what I used when I bled mine. I bet the HT200 from Walmart has the option. I have one here but it hasn't been activated so I can't know for sure. Don't want to activate it because it's just a backup device in case something happens to my Launch tool. You could get one from walmart and "test" it. They have a great return policy. ;)

Ah that sucks. Launch X431 Pro is pretty pricey for me. You think the HT200 has an option for ABS bleeding? It seemed like it's just another one of those OBDII Bluetooth adapters for a phone.

Ah that sucks. Launch X431 Pro is pretty pricey for me.

I got really lucky some years ago and bought a Launch EasyDiag 2.0 on Amazon for $50. I just call it an X431 Pro because it has the same capabilities with the *modded* software I have. After Launch caught wind of how popular the device got with people pirating the software modules, they discontinued it and later came out with the 3.0 version with a $300 price tag.

The AP200/HT200 is pretty similar but lacks the bi-directional capabilities of the X431 Pro. It's far more advanced that the cheap ELM327 devices you're thinking of though. It does for sure have ABS bleeding function for some makes/models, I'm just not 100% sure it does for Subaru.

Fair warning about the HT200 though; it binds to the phone that you activate it on. If you ever want to use it with a different phone, you have to contact customer support, and that can be a bit of a PITA. You can pick one vehicle make with lifetime updates. For any additional make you have to pay like $25 each and only get updates for a year, but you can still use it on that make after the year is up, you just won't get updates. It can do generic OBD code reading on any make without additional purchase.

Edited by Plastixx

Hey @ssulb, I went ahead and activated my HT200 to save you the trouble. No ABS bleeding. :/

It's still a very advanced tool for the money, but like I said, I already have something better.

Another option since you already have a Tactrix is SSM 3/4, but there are certain hoops to jump through, if you know what I mean. I know the places to look into such things.

Hey @ssulb, I went ahead and activated my HT200 to save you the trouble. No ABS bleeding. :/

It's still a very advanced tool for the money, but like I said, I already have something better.

Another option since you already have a Tactrix is SSM 3/4, but there are certain hoops to jump through, if you know what I mean. I know the places to look into such things.

Oh thank you very very much for trying it first and reporting your results. I appreciate it. Would SSM work with the Tactrix like "as-is"?

• 2 weeks later...
I tried using a Tactrix cable and unfortunately it won't work with SSM3 (which is the version of SSM for the 5th gens). It does however seem to work with SSM4.

Damn, that sucks. I should have looked into it more first before making the suggestion. Now I see that the SSM4/Tactrix combo will only work with 2016+ models. Looks like you need something like a VXDIAG VCX NANO PRO for SSM3, but they sell for around $220.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32827708018

Damn, that sucks. I should have looked into it more first before making the suggestion. Now I see that the SSM4/Tactrix combo will only work with 2016+ models. Looks like you need something like a VXDIAG VCX NANO PRO for SSM3, but they sell for around $220.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32827708018

Oh no problem at all. You enlightened me about even using SSM with Tactrix. I didn't even know it was possible. Thank you for that. Yeah I saw a couple websites sell that VXDiag tool. I might buy one soon and check it out.

Oh no problem at all. You enlightened me about even using SSM with Tactrix. I didn't even know it was possible. Thank you for that. Yeah I saw a couple websites sell that VXDiag tool. I might buy one soon and check it out.

I have another tool that I forgot about because I haven't used it in a long time. I just went out and test it, and it does have an ABS activation function that works.

Activating the software requires a hoop jump or two, but I can help you with it. You're welcome to have it for the cost of shipping. It's one of these but with bluetooth...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000351633343.html?

Edited by Plastixx

I have another tool that I forgot about because I haven't used it in a long time. I just went out and test it, and it does have an ABS activation function that works.

Activating the software requires a hoop jump or two, but I can help you with it. You're welcome to have it for the cost of shipping. It's one of these but with bluetooth...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000351633343.html?

Oh sure. Thank you very much for checking that quickly. Yes I am interested in it if you are willing to sell it. I can PM you details.

Edited by ssulb