LegacyGT.com

Can't get key out

My battery light has been going on for the past few weeks when I start the car but it goes off when I rev the engine.

I bought a new alternator but didn't install it yet.

Today I was driving and it was off but went back on and then the car went into limp mode and the transmission felt jerky even though it's a CVT. Then the car just shut off as I pulled into a parking lot.

It only goes in drive or neutral. I can't put it in park and can't get the key out of the ignition. How do I put it in park and get the key out of the ignition?

Check your manual for the exact process, but there's usually a little trap door near the shifter to put a pen in that releases the lock out on the shifter. Normally its only used to get the shifter out of park (i.e. if the car needs towed) so I'm not sure if it'll work to go the other way.

Sounds like you desperately need that alternator and probably a new battery too.

Looks like the battery is fully drained, otherwise even just putting the key in position 2 should allow you to shift to park and get the key.

A jump pack or hooking your car's battery to another battery with jumper cables should give you enough power to do whats needed to get the key out.

Sounds like you might want to look at getting a new battery as well, or at least get yours tested. It's not overly uncommon for dead batteries to find a little extra juice after sitting for a while like you described, but being run that low (especially repeatedly) is really bad for them. That definitely sounds like the alternator is the root cause, though.

Bad alternators kill batteries for sure. You should plan on getting a new one, especially with winter coming. Further, bad batteries put an unnecessary strain on alternators. It’s lose-lose if you ignore one or the other.

Unless you enjoy sitting in the cold waiting for a jump or a tow, but whatever makes you happy! [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk