LegacyGT.com

What trans temp gauge do you use

.blackgt.

Hey lgt'ers.

I am looking into finally monitoring the temps of my 5EAT and was looking into a few options.

Just trying to get some feedback from other people on what gauge brands they use and some pros and/or cons for their install.

A walkthrough type of post would be awesome as well since I have no clue where to install a sensor for the trans or what type of adapter is needed if any at all.

My main idea is to use the AEM transmission temp gauge with provided sensor.

Hopefully someone is running that with some good luck. Thanks guys & girls.

Ok. Ill attempt to explain.

First way aka the easiest.

-Use FREESSM and a vagcom cable. Vagcoms can be had for ~$15 shipped on ebay. FREESSM can be found in the Transmissions sub forum which if you are reading this you are currently in. This method is how I monitor my trans temps, all you have to do it plug the vagcom into the obd2 and the usb to a laptop. Boom. Done. (vagcoms only work with 2005 and 2006 model years).

Second way.

-Go to Home Depot. Pick up a 3/8ths brass barb T (refer to first pic), also pick up a 3/8ths to drilled 1/8th fitting (refer to second pic). Now drive to autozone or advance auto and buy 1 foot of 3/8th ID fuel line hose, etc. Now, jack up the car and on the drivers side (right behind the rad) you will see two trans lines (third pic). Pull the line towards the rear of the car off and insert the "T". Now you will need to cut a few inches of new line to reconnect to the hard OEM line. So you should now have just one nipple of the "T' showing, once again, cut a few more inches and now attach the 3/8 to 1/8 drilled fitting (you can secure all these connections with worm clamps). Lastly install the gauge and run the temp sender to the 1/8th fitting (use some teflon tape for added security on the threads). Button everything up and done. This will also monitor the temps of the fluid BEFORE it goes into the trans, not the fluid coming out.

I have never actually done the second way so install at own risk, this just always made sense to me.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/mwm5094/8brs-barb-tee-p542-cross-linked-polyethylene-pex-fittings.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/mwm5094/51M3IPe9YbL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/mwm5094/ScreenShot2012-11-06at93737AM.png

Thanks for the thorough post.

I've got an 08 so I am limited to the second procedure which I am fine with.

I just didn't know if I would have to plumb in a sensor like you explained, or if there was some sort of unused gally plug whatever right on the trans that I could utilize.

Just keep in mind that the 2 ends are prob going to be a little small for the exisiting lines. You will prob need to go to HD to find a 3/8's end to 1/8th NPT. Another factor that I may be concerned with is the size of the hole going through the fitting. Restricted flow? Idk. Although not by much if its 8mm the whole way through.... 3/8 = .375 and 8mm = .315... Try it out. I may go this route in the spring....its a lot easier than carring around the laptop.

I have a quote for the exact setup as prosport except it isn't 8mm, it is 3/8" with a female 1/8" npt fitting for the temp sensor to fit into.

It is about $8.00 picked up from a place right next to my house so after I give some feedback and it definitely works out well, I will help out as many people as I can with providing a cheaper product than the prosport version which is $15.00 without s&h.

I will not be making any profit, just want to keep peoples wallets happy.

Like I said though, I want to see if it fits perfectly and there are no problems.

I was gonna but i'm not really looking to make any profit here, so the idea of me fronting my own money for absolutely no reason would be dumb.

I am sure I can get more when people need them and it should be around $8.00 when using my work account. Just have to pay them in cash. I will help you out when it comes time.

I'm gonna go with the 3/8" barb fitting on each end, but do you happen to have a measurement on those barbs? I'm not sure if you would notice a difference in flow rate/pressure, but I just don't want to mess with too small of a hole for flow purposes.

• Moderators
I'm gonna go with the 3/8" barb fitting on each end, but do you happen to have a measurement on those barbs? I'm not sure if you would notice a difference in flow rate/pressure, but I just don't want to mess with too small of a hole for flow purposes.

I just bought one of these at carquest on Wednesday. I can measure it when I get home if you want, but it will just be with a tape measure since I don't have a caliper measuring tool.

I picked it up to use in installing my derale thermostat, hopefully this weekend.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived