LegacyGT.com

Blemish removal

Ok so here's the deal. The previous owner of my car had a bug defector on my hood for god knows how long. It appears it was never removed and cleaned up under neath. There is now two squares on the hood where the center clips attached. It appears the dirt has been "ground" into the paint..

So other than having my body shop re-spray the hood/front of the car, what are my options?

I clayed it this spring and it helped a little bit.

After claying I hit the car with klasse AIO & SG topped with natty's red.

I've just been living with the squares showing or leave the unibrow.. I mean deflector on. But I'd ideally like to get rid of the blemishes.

Below is a pic you can see what I'm talking about.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/Nrw7/LGT/DSCN0026.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips/words of wisdom.

Anybody you know have a random orbital buffer and some compound you could borrow ? Meguiar's M105 or similar would be a good place to start. If that doesn't diminish the defects you may have to go to a body shop. If it does diminish but not eliminate it, could go with a more aggressive polish or even wet sand and then polish back up.

I had one of these on my car too. They supply two pieces of clear 'tape' so the clips don't damage the paint. What you could have is just adhesive residue from that which has attracted a bunch of dirt. Try some WD-40 on it to see if that helps.

If this is obviously not residue (hard to tell from the picture) then there are a couple options. I don't know that respraying the entire hood is necessary, but that particular area may need to be touched up. If the paint is gone then there isn't any amount of polishing which will bring it back. But the area is so small that you could probably get some level of result by hand. Just get some rubbing compound or something like Meguiar's ScratchX (pretty abrasive stuff) and rub away. That could get the dirt out of the scratches in the paint, but nothing will really help the missing paint except for more paint.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Anybody you know have a random orbital buffer and some compound you could borrow ? Meguiar's M105 or similar would be a good place to start. If that doesn't diminish the defects you may have to go to a body shop. If it does diminish but not eliminate it, could go with a more aggressive polish or even wet sand and then polish back up.

That was one of my thoughts. I've been meaning to buy a PC for a few years now, I just keep spending my money elsewhere :lol:.

I had one of these on my car too. They supply two pieces of clear 'tape' so the clips don't damage the paint. What you could have is just adhesive residue from that which has attracted a bunch of dirt. Try some WD-40 on it to see if that helps.

If this is obviously not residue (hard to tell from the picture) then there are a couple options. I don't know that respraying the entire hood is necessary, but that particular area may need to be touched up. If the paint is gone then there isn't any amount of polishing which will bring it back. But the area is so small that you could probably get some level of result by hand. Just get some rubbing compound or something like Meguiar's ScratchX (pretty abrasive stuff) and rub away. That could get the dirt out of the scratches in the paint, but nothing will really help the missing paint except for more paint.

The surface is pretty smooth so I don't think the tape is on there. I would have thought the dawn pre-wash and clay bar would have gotten the residue off.

I think I have a thing of ScatchX in my house somewhere. Some reason I didn't try that the first time I attacked this. :iam:

The body shop comment was just because deep down inside I'd like to get the front re-sprayed after 104k and counting miles she has accumulated some chips.

I can try and get some better pics when I get home from work later today.

I didn't forget about the extra pics! Been busy and the rain didn't help haha. I'm going to attempt hitting it with the scratchx I have here if I can find where I put it..

But anyways heres close up pics of the nastyness. I tried showing how it was smooth with the paint probably didn't turn out too well haha.

Drivers side: The not so bad side

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/Nrw7/LGT/DSCN0037.jpg

Passenger :eek:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/Nrw7/LGT/DSCN0039.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/Nrw7/LGT/DSCN0040.jpg

Archived