LegacyGT.com

my 1998 Outback JDM STI motor swap build

I got matching 3900K lights for the corner and turn assist in the JDM fog lights. Also matching 5k led for the projector in the fogs. I don't care about output on these, i just need them to match the 5500k HIDs in the headlights.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu48/eocullins/1998%20Outback/VQM7OXldSzG12Ybr5ylEew.jpg

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu48/eocullins/1998%20Outback/h1MwFGOIQcyitfEbrUo3w.jpg

Hi, where did you buy the relay? was it online (ebay/amazon)? because mine failed some time ago and i had to buy some Hyundai spare, it was almost the same because here -not US- one Subaru was almost 10 time more expensive, and it works almost fine, it flash a little faster. But i want to put some led for the flashers and brake lights.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, where did you buy the relay? was it online (ebay/amazon)? because mine failed some time ago and i had to buy some Hyundai spare, it was almost the same because here -not US- one Subaru was almost 10 time more expensive, and it works almost fine, it flash a little faster. But i want to put some led for the flashers and brake lights.

Here you go https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/cf13jl-02-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/783/837/

By using led bulbs in the brake lights don´t you need anything else? (like the special relay for the signal and flasher) I don´t know if the electrical system will have problems by using led instead of regular bulbs.

The relay needed is posted in the post above yours.

Also, painter fixed a bunch of issues and I’m picking the car up tomorrow! Annnnnndd I ordered some brand new morettes:) it will take a few months because they don’t keep them in stock but I can’t wait. They will be painted to match the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the car is back from paint! Looks a lot better than it did but its still not exactly perfect up close. oh well, its my dd work car.

Next up is wiring up the side markers, and finish putting the car back together. Then its brakes, whiteline parts and muffler.

I think I've decided on dying my carpet and headliner black. I ordered Duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye but I'm still researching what the best solution is for carpet.

aA1XlelyRz6JLqTyjrMXYg.jpg

I might lower the front just a little bit more.

ANj38ZZ6SfihnYMg2w0syA.jpg

L6wuohRKQIinIUgO6LDxw.jpg

uJv6nhRqS9qqDxGN4GVKw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2f9b.jpeg

aigh1U3hSrOGvmvWu9eLOw.jpg

I got the retrofits all wired up and they came out looking perfectly flat!

GJVxWmDSQejo3Oz3NwZQ.jpg

Also new Zero Sports front strut bar! I didn't realize i was buying a brand new part so I'm pretty excited about that

KCh6CMTXKCcMTLjY6w.jpg

today I got the fender liners back on and the front spats mounted along with getting the side markers wired into the turn signals. I ordered amber leds for the turn signals and turn assist bulbs to match the side markers.

88PsV1GkQROqGvWgciFlFQ.jpg

n79R8ySpSQWcYL03TDnMBw.jpg

Car looks great, man. Very clean, definitely unique.

Hey did your new taillights make the car think that a bulb was out? I installed my JDM taillights, and the blinkers worked fine at first, but about a minute later they started blinking faster like a bulb was out. Checked all the bulbs and they were fine. Wondering if you had this same issue.

I haven't checked this thread in a while... the transformation that you've made with this car is fantastic. You've made me realize a few things about my own build that I need to address. Can't wait to see what's coming next!

Car looks great, man. Very clean, definitely unique.

Hey did your new taillights make the car think that a bulb was out? I installed my JDM taillights, and the blinkers worked fine at first, but about a minute later they started blinking faster like a bulb was out. Checked all the bulbs and they were fine. Wondering if you had this same issue.

Thanks!!

The led bulbs use so much less power than the halogens the car was designed for. the computer thinks that bulb is out because of that and causes the hyperflashing. You will need the led blinker relay that i linked a page or two ago.

Wow, that is one of the best looking Legacys (any gen) that I've ever seen. Just amazing work, well done.

Wow thank you!

I haven't checked this thread in a while... the transformation that you've made with this car is fantastic. You've made me realize a few things about my own build that I need to address. Can't wait to see what's coming next!

haha nice! So heres a list of whats up next (I need a list for myself lol)

1. Remove front door trim and realign it.

2. Wire up front door courtesy lights

3. Dye headliner and entire trunk section (duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye should be here monday)

4. Install powerstop brakes and stainless lines

5. INstall whiteline rear swaybar, endlinks and control arms

6. Install Zero Sports muffler

7. Set up appointment with local subaru dealership to get my driver seat belt exchanged under their lifetime warranty

8. Install EUDM shifter assembly with pop up card holder and pocket. (coming in the mail from Switzerland)

9. Install forester leather ebrake handle

10. Do timing belt and fluid change

11. Drive the car! I've only put about 70 miles on it since buying it in September

Heres an update from yesterday. I got a new windshield put in along with new trim, wiper arms, wipers, 3rd gen spray style washers and amber leds for the turn signal and turn assist lights. Not sure how i feel about the turn assist being amber but i like that the both match.

tfD9pReGSCCq5FoLYXRlA.jpg

WDWEomI8TRCBC6mh5VEgmA.jpg

bwiG0aEtS5OiCmRWnlBgg.jpg

99jyAMTOSo274ymLGg9YA.jpg

KUKdOkvPRbujIW0igty4BQ.jpg

Wow! She looks good, man! Nicely done!

Thanks! i got my headliner dyed (6 cans), put a driver side grab handle in (holes were already threaded just needed to modify the headliner), installed the 1999 Infiniti i30 auto dimming mirror(did not wire it up) and received a Weathertech rear floor liner!

FcNRTDvQKiqnLXqFMNILQ.jpg

NzCAu8QMTByLTRIu6AHC8A.jpg

NXmt1OdSlCOLl0UkQ6HQ.jpg

T91LvLfQlKGjDYZkEFFkQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the car back together is slow going. I got a new reverse camera license plate frame. The wire that i tapped into on the passenger kick panel for reverse trigger works but it triggers the camera mode on the radio whenever i hit the brakes as well. I decided to just run a wire directly from the lead coming off the reverse bulb in the hatch all the way to the radio to be sure it works correctly.

Mx5OF4OTaGANZGWqbFFDA.jpg

0SuLCH8QLqJ55Nm0PgBzw.jpg

Painted the side panels and floor of the trunk and cut out the strut tower covers for the Zero Sports strut bar.

EeL9LusYRVuOFSC67yJkLQ.jpg

rroT790R6avfkhEwA0pg.jpg

CN0E4GPGQ8e8Ru3O4zuJcw.jpg

Zero Sports front strut bar installed

Rv4wKJDgRAOvOW85iRdFw.jpg

wheres the short ram intake and MSD coil lol

In the garage!

I have a quick question:

How did you install the rear wing? I picked up one and I want to install it, but I am unsure how to line it up. Any suggestions?

i am not the person to ask. i cut my holes so big trying to get it lined up. I do recommend cutting off the front pieces and using double sided tape. that will make things a lot easier. I found a guide on sli or here that might be helpful to you.

heres some pics of the completed trunk area

suCEr9AxTnOjRZ2PiKXVxQ.jpg

rHxmZImiR6KzfOi2oLjgaw.jpg

m06f8nHbSWWAfUDQdraQ.jpg

UrwWlKYRa2DAHPmi3HA.jpg

3rd gen hood struts. I had to drill some holes and tap them for the lower mounts and it turned out nicely.

IMG_2380.jpg

44QmGsh3TDG8Z2zExWIkA.jpg

f9Tsqgo6SVCF1NsgihAcnA.jpg

And some pics with my truck.

3PQ6MGORNOE4WWnNcoHVQ.jpg

pEHb12dPRYG2XxpzYcsbA.jpg

Where'd you find the brackets for the hood struts? I've been looking for months for ones that would work without much modification.

Everything was included in this kit. I just had to drill and tap a new hole which wasn't a problem.

Very nice, clean wagon man. Looks great!!

Thanks, I'll do some more research on the install. :)

And your wagon is looking sharp, man! So much attention to detail! Love it!

This makes me wet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha Thanks guys!

So, the last of the current mods are finally completed and i lowered the car 1/2"! Car is getting an alignment tomorrow and I'm getting a new driver seatbelt under Subaru's lifetime seatbelt warranty as well.

PowerStop 02-07 WRX front brakes

Powerstop 3rd gen Legacy rear brakes

StopTech SS brake lines for 02-07 WRX

Whiteline Endlinks

Whiteline rear laterals

Whiteline rear sway bar

Whiteline rear sway bar mounts

Zero/Sports muffler

hUTNoMI6Tiy0U0e3HtFHlQ.jpg

r22y89AQJKVRdwENg4w.jpg

PW0m7hY5QsiRvARUXA3BA.jpg

40LfE4JQ5idA9w14m57Zg.jpg