LegacyGT.com

Things are messed up I’m lost

Yeah I even took the screens out of the banjo bolts on the scavenger pump. Plus the car ran fine for three days. I think , I could be wrong, but things would get ugly sooner than three days if something wasn’t getting oil or backwards? I’m not sure.

My gut tells me that I think something is wrong with the heads or the rings. I know that the compression shows they are all pretty close in psi, but, it smokes right away on start up. That’s not usually a turbo issue, but I could be wrong.

#1 is 119

#2 is 121

#3 is 120

#4 is 119

That's pretty uniform across the cylinders - while the absolute numbers are off from the service manual, if the engine is too cold that could cause that, or if you are at altitude your numbers will be off, depending on how far above sea level (my home is a bit over 6k ft above sea level, so I'd use a correction factor of 0.8359 or so to adjust for altitude) - unless the numbers are really low, uniformity across them is more important, as pointed out already.

I wonder if your scavenge pump system is not functioning properly, the oil could be pumped into the turbo but turbo drain pan is not being pump back in the engine. It seems like you already have the exhaust manifolds down, I would double check to make sure nothing is blocked.

My logic keeps coming back to this. Admitungly, I know little about the oiling system on our turbo... that said it seems to me that either the turbo is getting too much oil (feed line missing a needed restrictor?) or the scavenger pump isn’t working (not priming, air leak in suction line?). Is there a way to test it before pulling the motor?

Leakdown test is all pretty good . I think. Here’s the scavenger pump pictures

2jMAd7c

2jMDLqH

2jMEyXS

This is what my 2012 looks like, I believe that the bolts are in the original positions and have never been apart. It looks like you have a filter bolt on the oil return for the scavenger bolt.

IMG_3258.thumb.jpg.8a53d1863188e7797b467545214989b5.jpg

Ok, well, there was a banjo filter in the oil return line restricting flow, oil was backing up to the sump and over filling the turbo. I thought I got all of the banjo bolts out, but, I guess I didn’t. The shop was not even going to look at the motor, they said they were certain that since I used the head bolts that the reason the car was leaking oil was that. I was frustrated and I asked them if they would look at the pcv system and the scavenger pump system, the angle of the oil lines, I had to have messed up something. They called me back after a few hours and told me I was right. Watch the banjo bolts kids.

I am glad you were able to figure it out. Having done a burnt valve in a 5th Gen GT, I understand how easy it would be to mix up the banjo bolts,

I personally think the banjo bolt filter paranoia is overblown and stems from the turbo banjo filter clogging on the 4th Gen GT owners who used Subaru initial extended oil change intervals recommendations. Our engine have two banjo bolts that have filters on them. The banjo bolts go to the AVCS oil passages. 1st if they do get clogged, it is not a catastrophic failure and it will set a check engine light. 2nd if they do clog you have bigger issues and you might want your check engine light to go on anyways.

Well, thought it was good, fixed for a few days. Now she’s got oil going back into the intake and the exhaust just like before. I can smell it, the exhaust wasn’t smoking at all, woke up today and , back to where I was. Gonna year it down again, I’ll keep everyone up to date

Welp, I was told from the shop today that there is a filter inside the sump and it collapsed, causing oil to back up. I am back on the road today, I swear this thing is going to be the death of me

I looked at the service manual and parts diagram and I didn't see any filters. Does the turbo oil tank have a non serviceable filter inside of it?

At least you fixed that issue.