LegacyGT.com

Replacing Ignition Coils, plugs, Anything else?

Hello,

Going to be doing some work on the 05 Legacy GT (Stock EJ255 w/VF40 w/118mi) in the next few weeks hopefully but before I do I wanted to double check and see if there is anything else I should consider doing since it is being opened up. Replacing all 4 Coils and all 4 Spark Plugs along with the Banjo Bolt.

The engine still runs excellent, but I do notice the smell of burning oil intermittently. It does not smoke on cold starts at all. I can drive for 15-20minutes with no smell at all then it shows up for a few minutes and goes away, its strong enough I can smell inside the car while driving. Should I consider opening up the valve covers and replace the gaskets along with anything else underneath? And since its opened up, what else should I consider replacing?

Anybody have a possible culprit for the oil leak? Thanks a tonne.

Get under and look.

I just bought the car, I am sorta going by what a friend (formerly worked as subaru mechanic) told me would be a good idea along with the banjo bolt.

I do not see any noticeable leak, I swapped all the fluids the other day and could not see an easily noticeable leak, just wondering if someone knows of a common culprit for it.

First thing I would do is check all your front inner CV boots in the front of the car.

If they split they chuck grease all over the place including onto the hot exhaust pipe and Cat converter heatshelds and you can smell it inside the car.

Clean the MAF sensor.

Don't replace the banjo bolts just remove the two filters and replace those crush washers.

FWIW, my coils have 268,000 mile on them. Still work fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So late last night I did some looking around. I am fairly sure its a clogged line to the turbo. This car is not my daily driver yet so I ordered new Oil/Coolant feed lines to the turbo. Going to do everything attached to the turbo I think.

@MaxCapacity. I noticed in the repair history the guy had 1 coil and plug replaced recently. I just want to be prudent and replace the rest of them along with the plugs. Just gives me peace of mind so to speak. Minus the oil line it runs and drives excellent.

@Devobuzz, I am not 100% on the feed line to the turbo but it is coming from that general area. I have read its quite common for the valve covers to leak so I will check that out as well. I am just about to order some parts for it so I will add some gaskets to the list. Does this specific engine have the seals on the spark plugs? If so is that something I should order just in case as well?

Appreciate all the help guys. Sorry if they are noobie questions. This is my first Subaru so this is a bit of a learning curve compared to my other cars(05 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged and 2010 Impala 3.5).

I would think the banjo filter is the issue not a plugged oil feed line.

You could blow the line out with air to make sure its clear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

@ Max

I was thinking the same thing but just in case I ordered a new coolant/oil line and all associated parts. I was going to tackle the banjo bolt right away and do the rest when it shows up in the mail.

On a side note, I notice from your sig you have a vf52. From what I have read on here that is basically a bolt on with a re-tune, everything else can remain factory, correct? Thinking about either putting a ball bearing into the vf40 or getting the vf52 depending on how much work it is. Thanks for the help.

Yes, the vf52 is a direct bolt on with a tune. There are other turbos made for these cars too, but some require a fuel pump and larger injectors.

I find the vf52 to be a great DD. The catless up pipe from a STI and a 3" catted downpipe will wake up the engine and keep it safe. My vf52 has 126,000 miles on it on stock fueling.

I did put a AEM320 fuel pump in the fuel pump seal under the back seat began to leak. But still have stock injectors that came in the car.

My Tuner is tuningalliance@gmail.com you can tell Mike I recommended him to you. Cobb AP is a nice tool for tuning, Mike can get that for you too.

That may be the exact route I may go. I am not looking for a big power increase, just a stronger turbo. Do the VF52 have journal bearings or ball bearings? I have debated doing the vf52 swap or just putting in upgraded internals like ball bearing into the vf40. Basically I just want a stronger overall turbo and I want it to have it last.

Do you know which specific years of Up-Pipe I would have to get? I have the 5eat transmission in it.

vf52 is a journal bearing.

Any STI up pipe will work as they still have the same ej25 engine as we do.

With a e-tune the car can be tuned over the internet. The Cobb AP makes that easy.

Turbo life has a lot to do with oil. use a good oil and filter, it should last a long time. When I checked mine last Oct it still has zero shaft play in any direction.

I may end up going the e-tune route then. I was thinking about getting an up-pipe, downpipe and finish it off with Genome mufflers if I can track them down for the Wagon.

When you say any STI do you mean OEM or can I use something like Grimmspeed, HKS ect ect?

Did you use an OEM STI one? Sorry for the dumb/noob questions, you have been extremely helpful.

@Devobuzz, I am not 100% on the feed line to the turbo but it is coming from that general area. I have read its quite common for the valve covers to leak so I will check that out as well. I am just about to order some parts for it so I will add some gaskets to the list. Does this specific engine have the seals on the spark plugs? If so is that something I should order just in case ).

Yes there are gaskets around the spark plug holes. I ordered the felpro gasket kit. It includes valve cover and spark plug gaskets.

Last night I tackled the Banjo Bolt. It was not in good shape. I think I am going to get a Turbo for it in the next 2 or 3 weeks and shelve the current so I have a backup. I am still not sure if I want to get an upgraded vf40 or go with a vf52. This is going to be my daily driver so I am not 100% sure what direction to go.

While I was working on the Banjo Bolt I found the leak, It is the Passenger side Valve Cover Gaskets. I ordered a set of Felpro gaskets and will hopefully get them changed soon. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

It was not fun for the most part. I had to make a quick run to the store to get a few tools, my knuckles were not happy at all. First time doing it so I expected to not have a good time.

Valve Gaskets are going to be done in the next few days hopefully.

Archived