LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy Aftermarket Catalytic Converter

Hey Guys,

My 2010 Legacy is in need of a catalytic converter but I don't want to go through the dealership. Anyone have any opinions on which aftermarket brand is the best? Just trying to save a bit but keep her goin (235,000 miles and counting). Thanks!

all the wreckers(at least around me...) just recycle cats, don't sell em to the public. i guess liability or something like that.

The metals in the OEM cats maybe worth more money to them then what the public will pay.

Hey Guys,

My 2010 Legacy is in need of a catalytic converter but I don't want to go through the dealership. Anyone have any opinions on which aftermarket brand is the best? Just trying to save a bit but keep her goin (235,000 miles and counting). Thanks!

What engine model do you have?

The metals in the OEM cats maybe worth more money to them then what the public will pay.

The EPA considers it a violation of policies around emissions to install a used cat, so most shops/yards won't take on the liability.

Every yard I've been to has large signs that say they won't sell you a cat and they use big clippers to remove them from vehicles before putting them out in the yard.

You could find one from an individual, buy aftermarket new, or OEM new.

Edited by Infosecdad

The EPA considers it a violation of policies around emissions to install a used cat, so most shops/yards won't take on the liability.

I did not know that. It seems like a stupid law to me. (I am sure someone used it as some loophole, but it punishes the regular owner) The OEM cats are almost always better quality then the aftermarket replacements.

I did not know that. It seems like a stupid law to me. (I am sure someone used it as some loophole, but it punishes the regular owner) The OEM cats are almost always better quality then the aftermarket replacements.

Agreed. But that's why I'm hoping someone got lucky and found a decent aftermarket brand and I can bun some knowledge from them. Lol

Ebay? That is where i got my resonator & muffler for my 2014 Legacy. I had to change the resonator cause at the end of pipe where muffler bolts on was in very bad shape. Muffler went with a Megan Racing SS Muffler, used stock hangers with install.

https://www.nnawg.com/why-cant-auto-recyclers-sell-used-catalytic-converters/

It's not that they can't, its because they don't want to deal with the headache of testing them and guaranteeing them to be legal. It would be considered emissions tampering, to sell them without verifying them to be legal.