LegacyGT.com

I got a blinking CEL under heavy acceleration. Once done accelerating, the light went out completely. I noticed a stumble of sorts above 3k and into boost. I did the self code check sequence and have no codes and no pending ones either.. any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Scotty

A blinking cel is the car misfiring. It could be a number of things, can you monitor all 4 cylinders to see which cyl has the problem?

Spark plugs

Coil pack

Fuel pump or filter

Dirty injectors

Bad tune

Even worse, it could be internal like bad valves. I'd probably start with a compression and leakdown test before you start throwing parts at it.

Another possible answer is bad OCVs. My car either has missed a couple oil changes or otherwise has gotten some gunk in the oil and caused those to clog up, giving me similar misfiring issues. Even after replacing them and repeatedly changing the engine oil early, they still give me some issues, but no CELs. Worth giving it a shot if you see nothing wrong with the suggestions from 08SpecB.

Above 3K does sound a bit like ringland failure, so before you dive into this, do a compression and leakdown test. Don’t want to spend thousands only to find the engine will need replacing.

A blinking cel is the car misfiring. It could be a number of things, can you monitor all 4 cylinders to see which cyl has the problem?

Spark plugs

Coil pack

Fuel pump or filter

Dirty injectors

Bad tune

Even worse, it could be internal like bad valves. I'd probably start with a compression and leakdown test before you start throwing parts at it.

I have a V2 AP, I can't monitor them all at once, but I can watch them individually. From driving tonight, this only happens when warm, and only more than half throttle. The car doesn't run rough at all, only under heavy load. Still, no CEL and no codes.

Pump and filter are new 2 years ago. Plugs were replaced about 2 months and about 4k miles ago. Stock plugs. The coils are aftermarket ones that I bought from a mbr here about 3 years ago and have roughly 80k on them.

Scotty

If the cel blinks, there should be a history of which cylinder(s) is misfiring. If the car is cold, you can gun it with no issues? Maybe you should check fuel pressure cold acceleration and warm acceleration. The pump could be overheating and cutting out.

If the cel blinks, there should be a history of which cylinder(s) is misfiring. If the car is cold, you can gun it with no issues? Maybe you should check fuel pressure cold acceleration and warm acceleration. The pump could be overheating and cutting out.
No history at all. No codes at all, not even pending ones! That's what is killing me. Hopefully it doesn't kill the engine in the process of failure...

It'll be difficult to monitor the AP and drive.. it's gonna suck

Scotty

Similar thing happened to me recently. Turned out to be a combo of plugs,coils, and bad tune. Car was tuned to lean under full wot. In turn overworked cylinder 3 coil and plug.

• 2 weeks later...