LegacyGT.com

Camshaft Swap?

My camshafts are worn and I found a set of heads that have usable cams in them. The issue is my engine is non-interference and the donor engine is interference.

Could I just swap heads? Are the pistons different on the 1997, which could make it "interference"?

Mine---------------------- Donor

1995-----------------------1997

EJ22---------------------- EJ22

2.2L------------------------ 2.2L

Non-interference------- Interference

EGR------------------------Non-EGR

Manual Trans------------Manual Trans

Dual port exh.-----------Single port exhaust

Hydraulic valve adj.----Non-hydaulic (adjustable)

................----------------Phase 1

Can I swap the rocker arms? My rollers are starting to pit.

EGR: I will have to plug the EGR tube inlet on the block or drill and tap the donor head.

I've never swapped parts like this before so I'm a little hesitant to jump in with out some advice.

Thanks, comments very much appreciated.

dmend

You can swap rocker assemblies and supply the EGR with another source of air. I am running non EGR heads (ordered by accident) and I converted to HLA rockers. I ended up using part of the crank case vent system as the supply for the EGR. Also you SHOULD be able to do later model heads on that engine. I've heard you can pick up a couple HP from the dual port exhaust too.

Great suggestion Brighton96. Much easier way to tap into crank case vent system than tapping and drilling the head. Though, I do prefer to keep the dual port exhaust. You say later model heads can be used, I ask how much later????

I've found one post that suggests the camshaft can be swapped. It would be nice to know for sure.

dmend

Great suggestion Brighton96. Much easier way to tap into crank case vent system than tapping and drilling the head. Though, I do prefer to keep the dual port exhaust. You say later model heads can be used, I ask how much later????

I've found one post that suggests the camshaft can be swapped. It would be nice to know for sure.

dmend

If your rollers are pitting it's not worth swapping them over. You'll just destroy the next setup

To add to my thing, I kept my HLAs rockers when I swapped heads but that's because I had also recently replaced the HLAs with new units, if yours have 150k+ on them and you want to keep the HLA rockers then I'd recommend replacing your HLAs too. Someone else might chime in to correct me since I don't remember where I saw the information last, but I think you can put phase 2 heads on a phase 1 engine. Phase 1 being the earlier single port non-interference and phase 2 being the later dual port interference. Which means SHOULD be able to put heads on from up to a 1999 which was the last year for the USDM 2.2

To add to my thing, I kept my HLAs rockers when I swapped heads but that's because I had also recently replaced the HLAs with new units, if yours have 150k+ on them and you want to keep the HLA rockers then I'd recommend replacing your HLAs too. Someone else might chime in to correct me since I don't remember where I saw the information last, but I think you can put phase 2 heads on a phase 1 engine. Phase 1 being the earlier single port non-interference and phase 2 being the later dual port interference. Which means SHOULD be able to put heads on from up to a 1999 which was the last year for the USDM 2.2

Be careful with the 99's if you're junkyard/online picking. Some of them have the newer style engine. You can easily identify this by the coil pack. The engine you need has the coilpack centered and the newers style is offset to the side. Sensors and wiring are different.

Infernofab I think makes single port exhaust parts if you end up switching.