LegacyGT.com

What did i get myself into????

Hey there everyone,

I found myself in need of a more piratical car, I had a big truck and driving 2k a month and 12 MPG was not working for me lol. I had a 98 outback a long time ago and loved it. Dam car did everything I ever asked of it, other then go up hills above 70. I look it camping took it to the snow, Really other then towing nothing I used it liked a truck.

With that in mind I started shopping. Remembering how much I hated the power of my 98 I found myself looking at 05-09 Outback XTs. I ended up finding a 08 with 67k on "it little old lady car". I wanted the 08 simply for the AUX cord, didn't want to have to do the hole JDM Climate control to fit a double din.

So now I a have a very good running EJ25 turbo with the 5EAT auto. Having been someone who has always been around cars and worked in the aftermarket before. I know how easy it is to make power with these.

I am having to fight the feeling of just going all out and starting from just the block casings. I want to keep it auto, I drive probably 40k a year in town sometimes stop and go. Knowing I don't want to make it fast "by today's standers" I want to make it sound fast.

I have already done a few things, A Resonator delete, and a K&N Drop in. Along with tinted windows cleaning the headlights and LED bulbs, those are really just live with mods.

I am thinking about getting a intake tube "I am not worried about installing it" Do they make the Turbo spool louder? I know odd question.

If I do fall down the rabbit hole of mods " I have been known to do that" how much power have you seen the 5EATs hold.

I have not been able to find answers on these 2 things. Also being in CA I want to keep stock air box I am willing to remove that thing that goes up to the front of the hood.

Get yourself a Cobb AP V3

You can put a 3" catted down pipe on, flash the Cobb to stage 2 and be happy for years.

The intake system is fine leave it alone.

The timing belt kit should be replaced because it is over 10 years old. Aisin timing belt kit is the one to use.

If you want to hear the turbo remove the silencer under the air filter box.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Be careful with tinkering with the intake. The MAF sensor is very sensitive and may not be able to compensate with the amount of air being sucked in (i.e. need a tune). You're better off leaving the oem air intake alone.

From what I've been reading, the 'silencer' below the air filter box may help with low end torque. So you may get a negative performance impact by removing it.

Get yourself a Cobb AP V3

You can put a 3" catted down pipe on, flash the Cobb to stage 2 and be happy for years.

The intake system is fine leave it alone.

The timing belt kit should be replaced because it is over 10 years old. Aisin timing belt kit is the one to use.

If you want to hear the turbo remove the silencer under the air filter box.

What Max said if this is going to be a daily driver. I told my self I was going to just put a stock motor I my car and drive it, but it will not be a daily so I went for the moon in a way lol.

Just keep up the maintenance and the car will run great!

Leave the intake completely stock (other than removing the snorkus housing inside the fender if you want more noise) throw on an aftermarket down pipe and load Cobb stage 2 map. Done. Your auto tranny can handle this power level no prob.

If you want it louder, do the Hogzawst washer mod on the mufflers. It makes the car louder while not droning, and it's free, so if you don't like it just go back to how it was. But it'll make the car louder as per the request. As mentioned, the downpipe will make you hear the turbo more. Intake stuff is a can of worms. But if you want to go there, from what I recall, the SPT cold air intake is a nice piece and really makes the turbo more audible, but it definitely needs to be tuned. And as I recall, they aren't the easiest intakes to tune, so you may run into driveability problems because of it. Btu this is very old info, from back when they were new. I'm sure tuners have figured them out by now.

Thanks for the advise guys. I am waiting for my friends shop to open up so I can do the timing belt. Have not done one in about 7 years and would like to have a someone who does at least one a week there to double check my timing. I already got the aisin kit. I was thinking about going with the gates Racing Blue belt. They are the same Quality as HKS or Greedy but half the price.

I was trying to avoid the buying a down pipe, I know they will give the best performance. I know the internal costs for companies to make stuff like that, I hate paying that mark up. I wonder if I can get the flanges and build my own.

Does anyone have any info on getting "off road parts" sent into CA? I worked for a Diesel company and we would not even send stuff here "even being located in the sate" I am wondering if I do pay the price would they even send it to me? I my memory serves me right my friend got a Catted down pipe on a STI a long time ago and the Cat did not meet CA Specs. If I am going to have to change it every two years, well you can probably guess the path I would go lol.

*** update ***

I did the air box Silencer Removal, I am now happy with the sound of the turbo spool. I just wanted it to sound like it had a turbo.

I am still thinking if I want to go with a COBB access port or not I guess time will tell.