LegacyGT.com

Wet carpet after rain...

Left my car outside for 1.5 weeks and it's been raining tons in the Bay Area.

Came back from the airport and car was super humid on the inside and I found that carpet was wet on all sides - front/rear & passenger/driver side.

Took a look at the moonroof drains and there was some small debris but didn't seem like enough to clog them - nevertheless cleaned them out and made sure they're draining to the bottom.

Question is - do I need to completely remove the carpets now? Seems like a total PITA. Floors aren't super soaked but definitely can hear/feel a squish when I press on them. Car is currently airing out but I'm not sure if they'll ever air out completely. :mad:

I know its a tough time of the year, but leaving the windows down a inch all day while your at work with the car parked out in the sunlight will do fine.

I normally leave my windows down a bit if its not going to rain during the nice weather, keeps the car smelling fresh.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It sure is a good thing that you pulled the carpets and found that.

The 2 more important things at this point, are 1) killing the mold and 2) finding the source of the water leak.

I would inspect every inch of the sunroof gasket, drain pan around the sunroof, and verify each drain is draining properly.

If nothing found, inspect all door gaskets both on the door and the car.

Something changed recently to cause the leak. It's a matter of finding what changed.

I had something similar on my 5th gen. I had a premium model, no sunroof. After torrential downpour one day I got in the car and it was super humid. After a bit I noticed a large puddle of water on the passenger front floor liner (s/o weathertech for catching it all lol). It was late at night, so I dumped it out and shined my flashlight around and couldn't figure anything out. It was passenger front floorboard only.

Went to my parents house that weekend, my dad has a much larger collection of tools and knickknacks and I removed the glove box assembly, the blower motor, basically everything I could get to under the dashboard, I removed and inspected. Could not find anything at all. Inspected the A-pillar, inspected the windshield seal, everything. Could not find anything. I even got the pressure washer out and soaked allllll the way around the car at every angle just trying to figure something out...with no luck.

3 months went by and I had chalked it up as a freak but worrisome one-time incident. I was going through the automatic carwash when I heard water, looked at the passenger floor liner, and water was pooling in. It was coming from back behind the glove box, straight down, almost dripping. It was so weird. Sopped it all up and went back the next day, but I took out the glove box and under dash assembly so I could see. Same thing, waterfall from behind the blower motor assembly. I was baffled. Again, went to parents house and ripped everything out, soaked everything with the pressure washer, and came up empty.

I have absolutely no idea how it was getting in, but I was worried about going through winter with water getting in up under the dash board. The last thing I wanted was water freezing up back there and messing things up electronically or with the airbag. That, along with the fact that I was within 2 years of needing a new clutch and new tires, I cut my losses, disclosed the water issue, sold it, and bought a 6th gen.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as informative as possible. My issue was water ONLY on the passenger front floor, nowhere else. Hope this helps.

I had something similar on my 5th gen. I had a premium model, no sunroof. After torrential downpour one day I got in the car and it was super humid. After a bit I noticed a large puddle of water on the passenger front floor liner (s/o weathertech for catching it all lol). It was late at night, so I dumped it out and shined my flashlight around and couldn't figure anything out. It was passenger front floorboard only.

Went to my parents house that weekend, my dad has a much larger collection of tools and knickknacks and I removed the glove box assembly, the blower motor, basically everything I could get to under the dashboard, I removed and inspected. Could not find anything at all. Inspected the A-pillar, inspected the windshield seal, everything. Could not find anything. I even got the pressure washer out and soaked allllll the way around the car at every angle just trying to figure something out...with no luck.

3 months went by and I had chalked it up as a freak but worrisome one-time incident. I was going through the automatic carwash when I heard water, looked at the passenger floor liner, and water was pooling in. It was coming from back behind the glove box, straight down, almost dripping. It was so weird. Sopped it all up and went back the next day, but I took out the glove box and under dash assembly so I could see. Same thing, waterfall from behind the blower motor assembly. I was baffled. Again, went to parents house and ripped everything out, soaked everything with the pressure washer, and came up empty.

I have absolutely no idea how it was getting in, but I was worried about going through winter with water getting in up under the dash board. The last thing I wanted was water freezing up back there and messing things up electronically or with the airbag. That, along with the fact that I was within 2 years of needing a new clutch and new tires, I cut my losses, disclosed the water issue, sold it, and bought a 6th gen.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as informative as possible. My issue was water ONLY on the passenger front floor, nowhere else. Hope this helps.

Super helpful thanks! I've got water on both sides but concerning that you weren't able to find it blowing it with the washer as that's my plan now that I have all of the carpet out. Time for a new car I guess :p

[ATTACH]281395[/ATTACH]

Not a happy camper.

Take that out and either replace it or douse it in mold killer. That cannot be good for your health. I would also contact SOA and have them ispect the car to find out where the water is coning from. They might be willing to assist you in getting it repaired.

I've got a theory on why this happened. A few years back I got hit with some hail and it cracked the cowl panel on the passenger side.

I suspect this is RIGHT ABOVE the air intake for the HVAC. It has probably been going on for a while but exacerbated by the recent heavy rain.

Going to take apart the cowl tonight and confirm.

I bet that is your issue. I had a windshield replace in the fall replaced on another car and they forgot to bolt the cowl back down. In the spring 6month later, it smelled musty. I pull the carpet out and dried them. I was able to get rid of the moldy smell. If you dry it and kill the mold, one will likely never know it ever had mold.

• 1 year later...