LegacyGT.com

Tysparks81 Engine Build

I've been told that boost is addictive. What they don't tell you is that at +300k you should probably turn the boost down not up. But Where's the fun in that right. :rolleyes:

Mis-fires and random CEL's should have been the give away that something wasn't quite right. As a result I am now dealing with a very small headgasket leak. That I have put a Band-Aid on for now.

But..... With 324,000kms on what I believe to be the original motor in the car it just did not make sense to just replace replace the HG, there is a pretty good chance it would need rings at the very least due to the amount of oil I loose between oil changes.

After a lot of back and forth with friends, the wife and you guys I have settled on a good course of action for this engine build.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Picked up a complete EJ257 shortblock and had it delivered to outfront motorsports where it is currently being treated to their V3 setup which includes the following.

- Closed decking

- 1/2" arp headstuds + machining

- pin mains, arp case bolts, Align hone

- King OD main bearings

Current parts collection

- Manley tuff H-beam rods w/arp rod bolts

- CP 99.75 8:1 pistons

- 2017 sti nitrated crank

- sti 11mm oil pump

- complete OEM gasket & seal kit

- OEM thermostat

- 2 OCV

- OEM timing kit w/ waterpump

- PCV with hose

- OEM hoses

- oil cooler

- oil pan

- killer b oil pickup

- killer b baffle

- IAG Wrist pin/cover seal kit

- cylinder 4 cooling mod

- Fidanza lightweight flywheel

- Fluidamper crank pully

- AOS(to be purchased)

Edited by tysparks81
parts added

I have a few options with the heads

- Use existing D25 heads that are currently on my car

- Purchase a set of single avcs heads

- Borrow a set of b25 heads from a friend and give him mine once the new motor is in.

I'm waiting on a qoute for a brand new set of D25 heads so we will see where that goes

Purchased

- GSC valve stems

Still to source

- upgraded cams

- valves, keepers, springs and retainers

Edited by tysparks81

I think your piston choice should depend on which heads you use since the chambers for d25 differ from b25 (d25 compression ratio>b25 compression ratio).

Dom (getadomtune) is very outspoken about people using d25 heads on ej257 shortblock but obviously you're not using stock pistons.

Personally, I'd choose a turbo first to decide boost levels and then pick pistons that suit well for that boost/compression ratio.

I think your piston choice should depend on which heads you use since the chambers for d25 differ from b25 (d25 compression ratio>b25 compression ratio).

Dom (getadomtune) is very outspoken about people using d25 heads on ej257 shortblock but obviously you're not using stock pistons.

Personally, I'd choose a turbo first to decide boost levels and then pick pistons that suit well for that boost/compression ratio.

You are exactly right my Piston is going to depend on which heads I use and they definitely won't be stock. I have a set of spare B25 heads that I have sitting in my kitchen, or I can pull the D25's that are on my car currently and use those. Also I have found a set of EJ20 Heads that have been opened up to match an EJ255/EJ257 block so I do have options.

First two sets of heads are free, and the EJ20 are about $450 which is not bad.

But I am planning on getting the heads built so its going to come down to what which route gets the motor in my car quicker.

For now and the next year, I continue to run JMP's custom VF52 to see what kind of power it makes with a built block. While I collect the upgraded fueling things I will need to run a bigger turbo(ie Dual Pump, Larger injectors, new sending/return lines)

Which ej257 did you buy, can you post the Subaru number ?

I bought a used EJ257 shortblock from a private seller in California, haven't even seen it in person, just the pics he sent me, but he did drop it to outfront for me and they had a look over it, and confirmed it was solid core to use, but I don't have a part number for it.

Put a deposit on some GSC stage 2 cams

Waiting on a two shipping quotes for a fluid dampener & ACT 6 puck clutch

Placed an order for the following parts

Oil Cooler

Oil Pan

and will be ordering all new hoses on my next call to the dealer.

Getting very close to having everything for this engine build.

I keep thinking the same thing about my 06 build... then I realize I forgot something else...

I still don't think I've ordered a timing belt kit yet... ughk...

I know the feeling everyday something new pops up for me, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up ordering some GSC S2 Cams just waiting for them to be delivered.

In the process of ordering the following.

Manley valves, springs w/ titanium retainers, GSC guides and crower keepers.

Decided to go with the B25 heads since I had them on hand.

Here is half of the parts pile, that just got dropped off at the engine builder, but waiting on the cams and other head parts to arrive.

50926471812_5d5fd06ffc_c.jpg

50925660503_3749051be9_c.jpg

50926347441_9da5d23343_c.jpg

All those parts and an engine builder... damn I don't know how you guys foot these bills... I've been cringing at my spending lately and I've been doing all of the work, and not really buying performance parts either. I mean after all the car I'm building is a daily driver still.

I want it drop in ready so I'm spending a little more to have it assembled and timed. I considered assembling it myself but too many things could go wrong, I also didn't want to invest in any specially tools at the moment and since I am on borrowed time with my cars current motor with needing to topping up coolant every second week. I would like everything ready to drop in by April. Which will hopefully give me the time to get the money together for all the head work and assembly.

I have been shopping for deals and buying parts since Sept/Oct of last year.

Outside of the big bill from Outfront for the block, machine work and ARP headstuds/case bolts. I have gotten amazing deals on all of the other parts and with the exception of the Upgraded cams & rods everything else was BNIB but at a discounted price. I got the stock heads for free with the clause that I would be giving my friend my stock heads in return once my old motor was pulled.

I only paid 300 for a used EJ257 block and the seller delivered it to outfront for me. They charge 900 for the V3 service on your own supplied block, but I went with all the upgrades which started to add up very quickly. But I am well below the cost of a built longblock from Outfront, IAG or any of the other builders by thousands right now, for what should be a 700-800whp capable motor.

Edited by tysparks81

I love building stuff myself because then the only person I have to blame is me... I like it better that way... lol :) I'm also quite outfitted with tools and space so I guess that does make it easier. Don't know why since I'm an IT guy... lol

Also an IT guy over here :lol:, but don't have the space yet. Looking at buying a house with a garage in the next couple of months but motor decided it didn't want to wait until then so I had to speed up the timeline, or I would have waited until then and did most of this myself. Also I can't spend what I have so far and have something go wrong because the wife will divorce me. :lol:

Yeah I went from a 2-bay garage/house to a 7-bay garages/house. Still managed to fill every bay and my ass parks outside... lmao

My current 2-bay "Shop" is in this post https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6008123&postcount=4464

3 bay garage has the Wife's car, a Beretta and a Triumph Spitfire.

2 bay under the house has 2 more Beretta's.

Yes I have a car problem.

Yeah I went from a 2-bay garage/house to a 7-bay garages/house. Still managed to fill every bay and my ass parks outside... lmao

My current 2-bay "Shop" is in this post https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6008123&postcount=4464

3 bay garage has the Wife's car, a Beretta and a Triumph Spitfire.

2 bay under the house has 2 more Beretta's.

Yes I have a car problem.

:lol::lol::lol: you aren't the only one with car problems just most won't admit it.

My wife's included with that problem... She owns the Triump Spitfire, an MG Midget that's at her fathers, a lifted 86 Ford Bronco II, and her 04 Forester :lol:

You sir have a good wife, she shares your love and madness!