LegacyGT.com

s402/STI upgrade question

didn't use the foam floor panel that came with the strut bar. it exposed the bar and i use my wagon a lot. so i modified the current floor panel to "conceal" the bar.

Did your rear strut bar come black like that or did you add your own touch to it? Curious because the one I have and all the ones I've seen on the auctions are silver with the STI logo engraved.

2.1.thumb.jpg.cb87770b8c7ab15c4cd5efe05188ab6d.jpg

Also glad that you posted the pics of the fender liners. The ones that came with my fenders were cracked & broken so I tossed them and ordered new ones. I was smart enough to pull off the extensions but dumb enough to not take pic's before so to remember exact placement.

1.1.thumb.jpg.9f31b05e8f51b78815d613051af10dbf.jpg

Did your rear strut bar come black like that or did you add your own touch to it? Curious because the one I have and all the ones I've seen on the auctions are silver with the STI logo engraved.

[ATTACH]289254[/ATTACH][ATTACH]289255[/ATTACH]

Also glad that you posted the pics of the fender liners. The ones that came with my fenders were cracked & broken so I tossed them and ordered new ones. I was smart enough to pull off the extensions but dumb enough to not take pic's before so to remember exact placement.

yes powder coated the bar and painted the sti engraving silver. i have no idea why I did that honestly. it was like 3 yrs ago. maybe it was more subdued as black? as it was, with it exposed in the cutout foam, it stood out too much for me even though it was oem. plus it would get hit a lot with the stuff i pack in the boot. i carrying around a lot of my daughter's horse gear in the summers.

can take photos of mine if that helps you with placement. these liners do crack easily with age. have another set of s402 liners, fenders w/vents, vents and post facelift fenders just in case. planning for the long term i guess.

Edited by 05MNLGT

bought an s402 roof spoiler. again no difference between it and other jdm bp5 models. posting because it shows the roof line of the jdm non-airbag and usdm airbag roof line. i'll probably fill it in before painting.

the spoiler itself is about 5-7mm longer than the usdm ones. very slight. did notice that the jdm underside has a black plastic support bracing in the middle. make the spoiler solid in feel. haven't seen that on any usdm models.

IMG_3925.thumb.jpg.993374bbd7bdfb13e9d7c233197a975a.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg.0b227d600fe3268ed8c52a6884d7334e.jpg

spoiler_compare.thumb.jpg.071e177eafc313ac88f0a23db3bc64d8.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

here is the usdm bp5 spoiler. i spent many long hours welding the holes up from the stupid roof rails. couldn't do the low profile rails so dam it, no rails period. honestly would NEVER put rails of any kind on this. so much cleaner and sporty without.

since i was doing a full paint job, sunroof removed, glass and headliner removed, it wasn't that much more to removed the curtain airbags and cover interior with welding blanket.

IMG_2740.thumb.jpg.5c51525b1e3ac36d83ffdfd3bfd441f0.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

one thing i discovered when doing to the post edm interior was the usdm 05 glove box didn't work with the edm trim. the 08 box works, but not 100%. it's close, but the alignment is off slightly.

after knuckling around with friends across the pond, i finally found the edm post facelift glove box, dash and knee panel in german, BUT had to ship to finland to a friend because the german seller wouldn't ship to the states. this was by far the hardest parts to source thus far. more of these lgt are being scraped at the junkers in jpn and edm land at a record pace. making it impossible to find them.

the glove box has a tab on the left side that connects to the radio right side trim. the filter space is slightly larger for the jdm oem s402 filter too.

usdm_glovebox.thumb.jpg.80feebf19e04a70b76ae505827babf16.jpg

edm_gloebox.jpg.f76afcb987dd381cf319ce95a5098463.jpg

194292670_ScreenShot2019-03-10at4_57_54PM.png.ea71051b459fea74c0afffd0784885e2.png

Edited by 05MNLGT

had to bring the post facelift interior over in pieces as i found them. was able to buy a full washer tank with the second pump for the headlamp washer and oem hoses. the tank had the relay unit on it with wire harness. so it works in conjunction with the windshield wiper squirters.

37153972_1305668442903677_1341264354636464128_n.jpg.bf494bb626f8e395e689325ba7878bef.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

yes powder coated the bar and painted the sti engraving silver. i have no idea why I did that honestly. it was like 3 yrs ago. maybe it was more subdued as black? as it was, with it exposed in the cutout foam, it stood out too much for me even though it was oem. plus it would get hit a lot with the stuff i pack in the boot. i carrying around a lot of my daughter's horse gear in the summers.

can take photos of mine if that helps you with placement. these liners do crack easily with age. have another set of s402 liners, fenders w/vents, vents and post facelift fenders just in case. planning for the long term i guess.

Gotcha, I usually have the all weather mat in the back that covers the strut bar from taking to much abuse. That would be awesome if you could take a few pic's that would be awesome. If you could show just one side with all the extensions that would be enough for me to figure it out for both.

Gotcha, I usually have the all weather mat in the back that covers the strut bar from taking to much abuse. That would be awesome if you could take a few pic's that would be awesome. If you could show just one side with all the extensions that would be enough for me to figure it out for both.

lol. so you cover it up too.

I'll take pics and use a ruler in the pic for visual distance references to the peg holes and what not.

- looked into the jdm roof swap. not impossible, but super expensive to ship and fab in. jdm didn't have curtain airbags so roof doesn't have humps.

current as of 12/29/20

Fascinating. I never knew the humps had a purpose other than to look ugly. Thought it was cheap move on SIA part to share the body with Outback.

• 3 weeks later...
Fascinating. I never knew the humps had a purpose other than to look ugly. Thought it was cheap move on SIA part to share the body with Outback.

Ah, never knew this. That's good to know.

With the front fenders, what did the backside of them look like? Is the mesh functional and goes into the wheel well/engine bay or are they just for show?

IIRC the backside is not functional.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Front fenders vents were purely for show and not functional. It has the same filled in mesh design as the fog surrounds on the JDM facelift spec b bumper. I drilled mine out to try and do some custom work to make them partially-functional at engine bay heat extraction.

I think I posted pic's of the before and after of my dremel work in the WDYDTY thread sometime ago.

so when i started my build, before I paint it, studied making the vents functional. near impossible as the there is a bay wall that has the strut tower behind it. you'd have to go through the fire wall and by then, I quit the thought. even if the fake vent holes are opened, it wouldn't relieve any heat and not too mention you destroy a rare oem part. did a heat temp test to see what heat what getting to the vent area and it nothing. dave, i have a spare s402 fender set, untouched if your interested.

IMG_0844_Original.thumb.jpg.5e0a3344c855995602a5a86b93cb0c74.jpg

I'm good with the set I've got and yes, I've had the fenders off and analyzed everything. I know how tight it is back there. We have a plan of attack and we'll see how it turns out.

Even if my idea for heat extraction doesn't work I would still bet good money that dremeling out the vents adds functionality, even if just by a smidge. The real purpose of fender vents, at least those that are in the upper portion of a fender, is to relieve pressure in the wheel arch when at speed to reduce lift.

Found the pic I posted in the other thread. Modified, yes, but I wouldn't consider them anywhere near destroyed.

1.thumb.jpg.ab069979b1683cf1062e2f235172d4ed.jpg

another s402 item is the 13:1 steering rack vs the oem 16:1. since the s402 rack is a RHD, you have to use the LHD 15' sti rack, with slight modification. Also upgraded the u-joint to the 15' sti u-joint, cusco steering brace and whiteline bushing. i did this install 3 years ago and have had no issues. Very solid steering feel.

IMG_4869_Original.jpg.7d0bc6d9daf927f384a605f89227f46b.jpg

IMG_4825_Original.thumb.jpg.5871fcc4e6ece712c5be2a71db101d98.jpg

install the edm post glove box. what a nice upgrade over the 2008 usdm box. the 2008 box works, but it's off in a couple areas that bothered me. this edm post box is a direct flip of the jdm post box used on all the jdm/aud, including the s402.

The door is lined with an ultra suede (cheap). It latches to the sides vs the top and hinges at the bottom. It has a tab to the left which mates to the edm post trim. It's 2lbs vs the 5lbs usdm door. Has so much more room in it, which I'll never use, but it's nice to have. It was about a $300 investment and took 2 months of searching and a 1-1/2 months to ship ($130 from finland)

IMG_4793.jpg.15c3764d208e82f2779146f0462587db.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg.3a2fd9a55dce477393ce38aa32612aa2.jpg

IMG_4739.thumb.jpg.8f9623ad71a3668efcbf84cb5cce76ed.jpg

IMG_4794.thumb.jpg.c804697e008bc454bf08e2c0d739266c.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

Even if my idea for heat extraction doesn't work I would still bet good money that dremeling out the vents adds functionality, even if just by a smidge. The real purpose of fender vents, at least those that are in the upper portion of a fender, is to relieve pressure in the wheel arch when at speed to reduce lift.

[ATTACH]289757[/ATTACH]

sounds fun.

Edited by 05MNLGT