LegacyGT.com

OEM Muffler Interchange?

Curious if anyone has any knowledge on this, are there any other OEM Subaru mufflers that bolt up/fit (like 08-14 WRX etc)?

Currently running a 3" Nameless catback with resonator/5" mufflers and it's near deafening with ELH and 3" downpipe. Seems like most OEM LGT mufflers were tossed or rotted out years ago, so was curious if there are other newer options that would work with minimal fabrication. Otherwise open to quieter catback suggestions for wagon fitment, such as the Q300 (and if anyone in the New England area has quiet catbacks for sale, send me a PM)

Edited by Imprezzive2.5

Curious if anyone has any knowledge on this, are there any other OEM Subaru mufflers that bolt up/fit (like 08-14 WRX etc)?

Currently running a 3" Nameless catback with resonator/5" mufflers and it's near deafening with ELH and 3" downpipe. Seems like most OEM LGT mufflers were tossed or rotted out years ago, so was curious if there are other newer options that would work with minimal fabrication. Otherwise open to quieter catback suggestions for wagon fitment, such as the Q300 (and if anyone in the New England area has quiet catbacks for sale, send me a PM)

I have very clean good shape OEM mufflers I just pulled....they are sedan though, not sure on fitment

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have both sets of mufflers for my cars in the shed. The flanges on the wagons are a little thin but still there. One of the bolts for the longer tip has rusted. The Spec's mufflers are in great shape as they only have around 80,000 miles on them.

The Spec has the Q300 on it. It's getting louder over time. So it's not quiet by any means.

The wagon has a custom set up from the Spec's mid and Y pipe, to the magna-flow "knock off" mufflers and Dyna Max tips I bought back in 2013.

The Q300 on the wagon was way too loud and had drone.

DSCN7685.thumb.JPG.e9c1d590b5c81554b4949704c149fbde.JPG

DSCN8351.thumb.JPG.a150237d4839ef5cfcc2601e57987cac.JPG

DSCN5307.thumb.JPG.3b533ba98d5a75a00b5d4ac90efa2449.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Check this guy out-he’s got 2015-2019 STi mufflers on his. You’ll need the STi mid-pipe and change the hangers on the mid-pipe but apparently it’ll bolt on. Stock STi mufflers need to have flanges rotated 90* to bolt to our puny stock y-pipe. Is it quieter than most aftermarket? Idk. Maybe. From what I’ve heard driving with stock STis the rumble is subtle but there. I like it quieter, I’ve got kids. I’ve got a set of STi mufflers I got off of EBay for around $150 shipped. STi catback from local dealer is around $250 ordered online and picked up, figure in another $100-150 for install and you’ve got a complete catback for less than $600. Will probably complete the swap in the spring after tax time.

Thanks for the insights Max, interesting to hear the Q300 still drones on the wagon as that's what I saw recommended most. If you were open to selling either set of mufflers, I might be interested in buying them off you (or at least giving them a try) to see how much the exhaust quiets down. The OEM mufflers I had have surface rust/missing tip bolts, and had the rusted flanges replaced with slip joints years ago.

Thanks for the link SoobyDoobyDoo, that's exactly what I was wondering about. I see a number of 15+ WRX/STI mufflers floating around for sale, but it seems like they'd work with some minor fab. OEM mufflers would certainly help with quieting the sound down. Trying to keep the wagon discrete and the neighbors happy :)

I may let the wagon's mufflers go, just know you may have to pick up some tips to bolt on. Most auto parts stores or on line will have some style tips that will bolt on or clamp on.

I'll go get some pictures of them...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

DSCN9534.thumb.JPG.c80bc35d5f695a3363b00066d1b109aa.JPG

DSCN9535.thumb.JPG.570074f366e8434e60f4f0abcaa291d4.JPG

DSCN9536.thumb.JPG.dac3837eefd51df03ea6d7965beafe61.JPG

DSCN9537.thumb.JPG.01efc0468287624291b870fff85ca03a.JPG

Getting ready to watch F1 race. I'll check back in later.

Not sure what the mufflers are worth. I don't figure too much...may be $50 for both...?

Thanks for the link SoobyDoobyDoo, that's exactly what I was wondering about. I see a number of 15+ WRX/STI mufflers floating around for sale, but it seems like they'd work with some minor fab. OEM mufflers would certainly help with quieting the sound down. Trying to keep the wagon discrete and the neighbors happy :)

No problem I hear ya. One thing that made me decide on the STi exhaust was the dual tips-I’d like to keep an OEM/STi look. After finding some dual tips I liked and magnaflows it was about the same price for the entire catback from an STi, plus it’d be a little quieter. I know Max had good luck with his custom setup but I’d want a new y that’s 2.25”.

No problem I hear ya. One thing that made me decide on the STi exhaust was the dual tips-I’d like to keep an OEM/STi look. After finding some dual tips I liked and magnaflows it was about the same price for the entire catback from an STi, plus it’d be a little quieter. I know Max had good luck with his custom setup but I’d want a new y that’s 2.25”.

For sure! I'd be more keen to the dual-tip look if the bumper cutouts were a hair wider, they look a bit cramped imo. Definitely a good deal otherwise given the price. My hope is to reuse my Nameless midpipe (I think they designed their axlebacks to work with the factory y-pipe, so I'd imagine it should work the other way around) so that the factory y-pipe isn't restricting

[ATTACH]293784[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]293785[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]293786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]293787[/ATTACH]

Getting ready to watch F1 race. I'll check back in later.

Not sure what the mufflers are worth. I don't figure too much...may be $50 for both...?

That should work for me, they look in pretty good shape for the age. My wagon is at a local shop getting a few things checked over, including a sanity-check for an exhaust leak. If it's not leaking and just loud, I'll probably send you a PM in a couple days to work out the details

Check this guy out-he’s got 2015-2019 STi mufflers on his. You’ll need the STi mid-pipe and change the hangers on the mid-pipe but apparently it’ll bolt on. Stock STi mufflers need to have flanges rotated 90* to bolt to our puny stock y-pipe. Is it quieter than most aftermarket? Idk. Maybe. From what I’ve heard driving with stock STis the rumble is subtle but there. I like it quieter, I’ve got kids. I’ve got a set of STi mufflers I got off of EBay for around $150 shipped. STi catback from local dealer is around $250 ordered online and picked up, figure in another $100-150 for install and you’ve got a complete catback for less than $600. Will probably complete the swap in the spring after tax time.

That video is from Shogun506 on here if you feel the need to ask him any questions about that fit.

Just polished the tips and drilled out the rusty old bolt. Picture shows the difference between wagon tips and sedan tips.

IMG_1763.JPG.17e28acbf7705e37a68eea95a1444e7d.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG.a0d5ad8b9f0b1c40e5249a9525d3d3c8.JPG

I have both wagon mufflers loaded in the wagon, ready for a drive on Sunday.

Interesting to see how much longer the tip is on the wagon mufflers. The sedan ones seem similar in length to the OBXT turn-down tips I have on now, which might be contributing to the exhaust smells in the cabin at stop lights. Hoping the longer tips will help with the sound and smell.

[attach]293921[/attach]

Thanks for taking care of the broken bolt and polishing the tips, they clean up nicely. I'd take my wagon if it weren't still at the shop, I think we both have the same spec (black 5mt unltd), haven't seen another one of them around here. See you tomorrow!

Yes, see you tomorrow.

I did find it interesting, notice the distance from the muffler to the sedan tips, is a greater distance than on the wagon mufflers...post 13.

I wonder if something like these,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-5-16-in-Black-Phosphate-Standard-SAE-Long-U-Nut/3043617?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-hdw-_-ggl-_-LIA_HDW_126_Fastening-_-3043617-_-0-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOLBhBPEiwAjEeK9g8WUOW_BggDrcMWQR4GVOPzi4fTnJ4aexoOyKeh-d4jLcxBnbS_2RoCmcsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would work to slip onto the muffler and bolt the tip back on. Reference the third picture in post 8,

Edited by Max Capacity