LegacyGT.com

Tire Cupping on H&R Lowering Springs

I'm having and issue with the tired cupping on the inside rear. Put the car up on the lift and nothing seemed out of place suspension wise. I am running the factory shocks and struts. Has anyone had this issue? What might be causing it? Any recommendation for struts to go with lowering springs?

Well, I am not a suspension guru, but I would think that if you lowered the car with springs, it would change the lateral link geometry. I think you may need Camber adjustment in the rear and front to correct this issue. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

I'm having and issue with the tired cupping on the inside rear. Put the car up on the lift and nothing seemed out of place suspension wise. I am running the factory shocks and struts. Has anyone had this issue? What might be causing it? Any recommendation for struts to go with lowering springs?
Yes if you lower the car you might or should have to adjust the camber and since our cars have no rear camber adjustment you can try camber bolts or get Rear Lower Control Arms with Toe Links since they should be adjusted together..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yes if you lower the car you might or should have to adjust the camber and since our cars have no rear camber adjustment you can try camber bolts or get Rear Lower Control Arms with Toe Links since they should be adjusted together..

Bigger question is did you align the car after doing the springs? As others have commented it’s a camber issue so I would check the alignment specs. I would not go stock on the alignment setup. Personally find a good shop that deals in performance cars and they can dial you in.

Bad alignments cause tire feathering, not cupping. Cupping is from bad shocks causing the tire to micro-bounce as its rolling down the road.

A good example of cupping with a perfect alignment is my daily drive Eighth gen Civic. The rear has no camber adjustment so the insides of the tires cup. The only way to correct this issue it to buy adjustable control arms or a camber bolt kit(which is a waste of money I think). This car also has has all four shocks/struts replaced. However this is a different case as it’s a very well known issue with the Eighth gen Civics that are not K20 based(this is a non Si car)

In my case the tires being rotated every 5,000 stops any major cupping issues. In this case I think we are both in agreement that the replacement of the stock springs with performance ones as well as having the stock suspension may be the issue. It also could do with brand of tire etc. I have seen hard as rocks Michelin Defenders have no issues with cupping on a blown out suspension while Conti DWSs cup within 2,000 miles or less.

I took the car for tires and an alignment right after installing the springs. I was told everything was in spec when I left but did not get the printout. I guess I will look into some shocks and replace the rear tires since they are the worst.

Loke I said earlier.. The Rear Camber can't be adjusted on the Gen 6 unless you buy LCA ...

Exactly. Same issue with pretty much any Eighth Gen Civic as well.

OP,

The issue is not anything else. You are literally going to spend a grand or more to chase down an issue and then come back to some shop saying RCA's and that being the culprit. If you start with replacing random parts great they are all nice and new but still will not solve your issue at all.

Just a quick look adjustable RCA's for a 6th gen Leggay will run you between $200 and $320 plust cost of install and alignment(I would recommend a pro install to dial in the alignment)

Good luck.

Little update. New shocks are here KYB is really the only decent thing I could find that was direct fit. Car does have 100k on it so they were probably due a change anyway. Plan is to install those and get the car aligned with a printout of the spec to see how bad everything is and go from there. More than likely I will change to adjustable rear control arms but I want to see the alignment specs first.

Little update. New shocks are here KYB is really the only decent thing I could find that was direct fit. Car does have 100k on it so they were probably due a change anyway. Plan is to install those and get the car aligned with a printout of the spec to see how bad everything is and go from there. More than likely I will change to adjustable rear control arms but I want to see the alignment specs first.

Not a fan of KYB at all. Have had more then one blow on me and the only saving grace is that they are easy to get but they are NOT OEM and you will feel stiffer then normal(which some people like) but this is not going to cause any issues at all.

Your issue is the rear control arms plain and simple. Your tires are cupping so putting the KYB's on and getting the alignment is a start which you would need to do anyway. However it will show the same issue with the rear being out of Spec a few degrees. So the bottom line is you will probably be in it for another alignment if you need put new rear arms on.

Would I take the gamble doing it the way you are? Yes. 85 bucks after the fact is something I could live with. But why not do everything at once and save a little money?