LegacyGT.com

Sunroof - is it worth it?

For those of you who have a 4th gen with a sunroof, is it worth it?

I really want a sunroof again and finally found a '08 GT with a sunroof (40k miles), but also found a cheaper '07 GT Spec B (50k miles), but without a sunroof.

I would like to get the opinions of sunroof owners.

I've own two other cars with sunroofs, but those were brand new car with no problems. I've never purchased a used car with a sunroof. I've read that it's common for the sunroofs on the 4th Gen to stop working. Is this true?

Would you consider your sunroof more of a headache than a pleasure?

Of all the things that can go wrong with a used turbo 4th-gen, the sunroof should be the least of your concerns.

That's not what I'm asking. You're assuming.

Do you have a sunroof on your 4th gen?

Has it been more of a pleasure or a problem to you?

My 09 SPec B has the sunroof, I use it sometimes, but I find it noisy on the highway. My 05 GT wagon does not have a sunroof because the one in my 00"GT wagon would have issues with it drain tubes.

The 09 Spec B has never had any issues with leaks. car sits outside all year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've had three limited wagons now (all with sunroofs), none of them garage kept, and have yet to have had an issue with any of them *knocks on wood* I really only open it on nice days when the car is clean, otherwise it's a nice extra sky-window.

It's nice to have there for when you want to use it. Better to have and be able to use or not use, then not have and not be able to use.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Absolute pleasure to have but I've got a wagon with the big guy and always have it open on nice days, absolutely zero issues with it in the 3 years I've owned it. Bought the car with 144k and it's roughly at 178k now.

Never driven a sedan with sunroof but would imagine they are a bit more noisy than the wagons due to the difference in design. I'm a pro-sunroof guy in general.

Sunroof adds weight and potential problems. However, I've never had an issue with mine (213k miles) and I love being able to drive with it open. I would suspect it's a pretty small percentage of people with issues with their sunroof. For me, there are a lot of other factors that I would give heavier weight than sunroof or not, but everyone is different. If everything else was equal, I would pick sunroof over no-sunroof.

Both outback’s I’ve had have issues with the sunroof. But they are the huge roof. One is part of the mechanism that lifts the front panel. The problem on my current outback is the motor, when I get around to fixing it I’ll use it again

I think it's the same type. Wagon type with the really big sunroof. Not the smaller one in the sedans.

And that's the same thing I kept finding with the forums over here. That's why I wanted to get the opinions of others. Thank you for all the input.

No issues on my ‘08 XT, kinda a personal preference I guess. Glad I bought a base model GT wagon back in the day, now that it’s a full time track car I’m glad it doesn’t have one to save weight.

My 07 has a sunroof and it occasionally makes a popping/gear stripping type noise. I haven't had it looked at since I hate sunroofs and don't use it (and told my wife not to use it anymore). It is significantly louder than my 05 with no sunroof. Haven't had any leaks but the car is in a garage all year.

Today's story, I had to run to the hardware store in town, bright sunny day, 77F, no rain in the forecast until tomorrow evening. Leave the sunroof while I run in the store.

Come out maybe 10 minutes later...yep, it's lightly raining.

Murphy's Law...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I never had a problem with the sun roof. Pretty much had it open any time I drove it. If you have a large dog, they will love it.

It should be noted it will stop before fully open. This setting alleviates most of the wind noise up to about 100mph. Open it fully and the wind noise will be alot at highway speeds.