LegacyGT.com

Dead lgt been sitting

Hi all, I am attempting to move a 2005 lgt that has been sitting. The battery was dead and the car was in park, ebrake wasn’t set. I swapped the battery and want to push the car but even with the car in neutral it doesn’t want to move even a bit. Does having the shifter in neutral mean that the transmission has actually shifted out of park? I understand there could be rust on the brakes, and can try to break it loose tomorrow but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything before I started forcing things to turn.

If the shifter is in neutral is means there isn't a drive gear engaged in the transmission. Your transmission is not your problem. The rust on the brake rotors is also a nonissue.

Is it possible you depressed the brake pedal while the car was off. If so, this would mean there is not any vacuum to assist the fluid throughout the lines, and the pistons inside the brake caliper are engaged on your rotor, keeping the wheels from rotating.

If the you can turn the car on with the new battery, but don't want to/can not drive it, follow below instructions:

Start the car (engine running), allow the vacuum to restore by pressing the brakes once or twice (your pressing to make sure the pedal has returned to a normal feel), engage the parking brake, put the car in neutral, then turn off the car. Make sure that you do not press on the brake pedal unless you need to. You should be able to push your car now.

I cannot think of any other quick fixes off of the top of my head, but I'm sure a quick google search, or another forum member with a similar experience could shed some light.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Depending how long it's been sitting, rust on the rotors can/will prevent the car from moving until you break through the initial high spot.

Yep, need to push or pull the car a foot or two to break that rust loose on the rotors.

my Spec sits for weeks at a time, when I first move it you can hear the rusty rotors break free.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here