LegacyGT.com

Did I make a mistake buying this car?

Last week, I purchased a 2013 Legacy with the 4 cylinder engine and 60,000 miles at a Subaru dealer.

The dealer did the 60,000 mile service according to Carfax. I wasn't sure what that included so asked a service advisor at the dealership. He told me the following:

• Changed oil
  • Replaced brake fluid
  • Replaced spark plugs
  • Replaced differential fluid
  • Replaced wipers
  • Replaced battery
  • Oil leak: He said there was one at the front timing cover, they pulled it off, resealed the whole front of the engine / timing cover. I'm not mechanical so didn't know what follow up questions to ask but that is basically what he said.

He said the car has been regularly maintained since day 1 at the dealership following Subaru's recommended maintenance schedule. Carfax confirms this.

He said the service dept billed the used car department nearly $3,000 for all the work. I doubt they actually pay this much but I'm sure some budget dollars shift around.

The sales person also proactively told me the same thing. That there was an oil leak & what they did. I saw the service slip (exactly like what I'd get as a customer) and it had a long list of parts related to the oil leak work. It showed about $2,700 on the bottom.

I don't see any oil in the engine area or on the garage floor.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying this car?

On the one hand both the service advisor and sales person proactively told me about this. They clearly didn't have to do that as I wouldn't have known. I also feel better that the work was done at a Subaru dealer vs Butch's Auto Garage (apologies to anyone here named Butch!). On the other hand, the car had some issues.

I can return the car within 1 week per the paperwork.

So just curious what people think.

Edited by SubaruForMe

So the dealer found an oil leak and fixed it, I'm not sure what the complication is? Timing cover leaks aren't unheard of and any repair done by a dealer carries a 12month 12k mile warranty all it's own. I wouldn't worry about it, drive it an enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Without seeing the rest of the car, cant really give an opinion if you made a mistake or not.

Going off just the info on hand, if I read correctly there is a record of repairs and you cant see any problems in the areas mentioned? A scheduled service and repaired leak doesnt really look like anything to be worried about.

If you can post up some more history on the car, like some details of the repair you are worried about, our more experienced members can give you an opinion on it.

OP here with a clarification...

The dealer did the oil leak repair after taking the car on trade but before selling to me. Basically they discovered it when checking out the car. They did the oil leak repair, the 60 k maintenance, wipers, battery, detailed it (removed a couple door dings, thoroughly cleaned inside / outside, waxed), etc.

The dealer did the oil leak repair after taking the car on trade but before selling to me. Basically they discovered it when checking out the car. They did the oil leak repair, the 60 k maintenance, wipers, battery, detailed it (removed a couple door dings, thoroughly cleaned inside / outside, waxed), etc.

Sounds like the car is fine. You have the warranty as well...

Yup, basically everything was done before you took it home.

As presented, I dont see a problem, and as pointed out, there is the warranty that should cover the repair you are worried about.

I suggest you post up the details of the repair if you still are worried about it and would like an opinion on it.

If that’s all that was wrong with the car, then having an issue that was fairly minor that was fixed before you got it doesn’t make buying it a mistake. All cars have their quirks and their issues, Subarus included.

What this sounds like to me is that you aren’t sure you bought the right car for you and are looking for reasons to give it back, consciously or otherwise.

This Legacy you bought: was it a good price and does it fit what you need and want in a car? If so, then don’t worry about it. If not, then you might want to unwind your transaction (if you can do it without suffering too many consequences) and go for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're worried about the dealer taking care of the big maintenance and an expensive oil leak, then you have it backwards.

Working at a dealer, I've seen plenty of needed repairs skipped on used cards, let alone preventative maintenance. Sounds like they had a low mileage well taken care of car and bragged about it.

That's, like, what dealers do. I'm not seeing how this is a problem.