LegacyGT.com

lets talk stage 1 remap

so im looking at going stage 1 remap.

I really like the way the jdm br9 makes its power its very linear,i don't want to lose the linear power band.

my worry is asking for 16psi will give me all or nothing power wise and masses of torque only in the middle of the rev range and will I notice the torque drop off past 5500 rpm?(like throwing out an anchor)

on the stock map I feel no let off in power @ 6500 rpm and I want to keep that.

any issues arise asking 16psi? stock jdm boost is 10psi.

how is it to daily drive?

so who has stage 1 and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

mine is MT

thanks

Edited by JDMBR9

I ran the stage 1 tune for over a year, any dropoff you might feel is due to the small turbo, it can keep the pressure up at high rpm, but you are getting a whole bunch of heat with it at the cost of efficiency and power. Probably some pre-detonation thrown in as well. I honestly can't recall being on stock power now, what I can recall was the first time I nailed the throttle with the stage 1 tune, that was a definite hit of power compared to stock. The power comes on the same as the turbo is the same, but if you want to keep the smooth swell of push rather than getting a shove you should get a pro-tune. I don't know if cobb supports jdm ecus or not, but I am sure there are some tuners who will open source tune it. Really most of what you are looking for is subjective feeling vs measurable metrics.

What I can tell you is the stock programming keeps the throttle plate partially closed in order to keep the intake pressure consistent and give you the smooth power delivery you have noticed. This isn't the most effective way to make power as the throttle is being restricted in order to mask the shortcomings of the stock turbo. It's a series of compromises as most cars are. If you are happy where you are then I would leave well enough and alone and live in ignorance, lol. Your bank account will thank you.

As for driveability I never noticed much difference in day to day driving, not even on stage 2 tune, most tuning comes into play at WOT. Even gas mileage is basically unchanged, as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle...if you can.

Edited by FLlegacy

thanks for the reply's and useful info

ive spoken to xrt tuning and looked at his simulated dyno graphs for his stage1 and I think the cars start to drop off at 5500rpm,which im going to feel.

he also offered a full custom tune offering a small boost increase which I think will be a good idea, so I get to keep the linear power delivery and an increase in power and improved throttle map

The br9 is lacking in responsiveness

thanks for the reply's and useful info

ive spoken to xrt tuning and looked at his simulated dyno graphs for his stage1 and I think the cars start to drop off at 5500rpm,which im going to feel.

he also offered a full custom tune offering a small boost increase which I think will be a good idea, so I get to keep the linear power delivery and an increase in power and improved throttle map

The br9 is lacking in responsiveness

The turbo drops off above 5500 rpm, because its limited by exhaust flow. No matter who tunes it this will be the case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

true but if you don't ask so much of the turbo to make lots of torque in the middle you wont feel it fall on its face so much higher up the revs

stage 1 dynos look like they are losing nearly 1000 rpm of useful high revs to gain lower down torque, coming from a mapped bpe I prefer to have the extra revs

The small exhaust cams also have something to do with the power band.

It may feeling like it falling off at higher RPM, but it will still be faster than stock was at the high RPM's. Their really is not much of benefit of spinning the motor to 6500rpm with the stock parts. Just shift it at 6000. The difference between stock and Cobb stage I map is a dramatic difference, I wouldn't get too caught up on a linear power delivery. It is a turbo powered vehicle, it isn't going to be linear.

true but if you don't ask so much of the turbo to make lots of torque in the middle you wont feel it fall on its face so much higher up the revs

stage 1 dynos look like they are losing nearly 1000 rpm of useful high revs to gain lower down torque, coming from a mapped bpe I prefer to have the extra revs

My car only falls on its face when I push in the clutch otherwise it pulls pretty hard, regardless of what the graph says. Take a ride in a tuned Subaru.

As I said earlier if you are happy now, then stay ignorant and happy, better than broke and broke down and unhappy.

The tune is not robbing high RPM's power for middle range power. It is attempting to optimize the power at all rpm points, it just so happened that middle range where the stock parts make their power.

Yup, pretty much this.

As fahr_side put it, the turbo is about the size they needed to reach rated power, and not much larger. Not much headroom to make big power safely on its own.

Stock, it makes power early, peaks in the middle, and tapers down to noise at redline. A stage one will follow this.

Want to extend this all the way to redline? You will need to change the turbo. And generally speaking, it will shift the power band further up the range.

A stage 1 curve can be disappointing to look at, but what are the actual numbers? The taper to redline will still be there with a stage one, but it should still more than stock, and can still be plenty fun as mentioned.

As I said earlier if you are happy now, then stay ignorant and happy, better than broke and broke down and unhappy.

I think you might be right.

The jdm map only asks for 10psi to make 280bhp so probably feels slightly more NA than the usa legacy asking for 13psi to make the same power.

i will probably just go stage 0 and improve the throttle response and slight increase in boost. unless I can find a stage 1 map try before you buy lol

thanks everyone

There aren't many tunes available for the jdm ecu afaik. I would try to get ahold of Fahr-side and see what he can tell you he was pretty familiar with that side of things.

I do think you are looking at this the wrong way, a good tune will give you a really nice swell of power and the rpms climb fast enough you would be more worried about shifting than feeling any kind of drop in power. But you may also want to take the opportunity to make some improvements in the intercooling as that will help keep the power graph consistent.

I have also heard great things about XRTs ability to smooth out the power band vs most tuners giving a pretty hard climb. He will be my next tuner barring anything catastrophic with my car, lol.

Good luck making your choice.

i will stay with Edward he has mapped my other 2 Subaru's ive had.

I sent him my rom he will have to make a definition for it.

edward has also said if im happy with how it drives now. go stage 0 and fix the laggy throttle maps and just add small amount of boost while still making it feel linear

i realy like how the car drives but the si drive is horrible i also hate every time i start the car it goes into slow mode lol

• 3 years later...

Hello mate, sorry to hijack your thread, its probably an old topic now but it was the first thing i stumbled upon on google about remaps for these cars! I take it you got your Japanese import remapped? if so, what's it like? wanting to get one done soon after i do a few other supporting modifications done. intercooler, avo charge pipe, some custom boost pipes to remove any resonated sections, exhaust system and a few other mods....

Funny how you said about the SI-Drive System having a slow mode, see if your accelerating and you put it into sport# mode whilst accelerating, does your car pull harder or is it just my mind playing tricks on me??? 

I had a local Subaru tuner look over the car and were meant to remap it, but didn't manage for some reason or another, I was meant to call them as they were to get in touch with a few different Subaru tuners in the US to see if they have a solution for my problems but with being back at work I just keep forgetting, will phone them back next week and find out, but as you know these cars are more powerful than the US spec cars. A guy I know said they can be remapped and respond very well and should be around 330-340bhp when done. being honest with you everytime I've driven the car hard, it feels like its got around 300 bhp, has a good few modifications now so maybe that helps :)

let me know how you got on though any help is much appreciated! All the best when the new year comes!!! Paul