LegacyGT.com

Upgrade fog light bulbs or the housing?

2010 Lgt Lt. Looking to Led the fogs. Found a posting in Lgt that the Ford oem fog lights (# FR3Z-15200-A) bolt right in to the 5th gen Legacy (they are plug and play with our wiring). They give much more and better light. They are about $203/pr. There are aftermarket copies claiming to be identical to the Ford oem ones. They are about $135/pr. Reel electric seems to be the dominant after market variety. Are they as good and long lasting as the Ford product?

The TYC lights he's referring to are clones of the OEM Ford ones you mentioned. They're sealed LED housings, no bulbs involved, They have a really nice, bright, wide throwing beam. I have the same TYC one's he mentioned for about the same amount of time and they've performed excellently. I have two layers of vinyl for protection and color on mine: Lamin-X yellow + JDMFV Golden Yellow.

I'll see if I can find my output pictures and the before install pictures of the housings for you.

• 1 year later...

Can i ask a random question that relates to the fog lights? Where on earth is the harness to plug in the switch to control the lights. I found the plug that goes into the fog light itself but i cant find the harness that actually goes to the switch. Is there not one on the 5th gen? Is it a hardwiring thing i have to do? Anyone have links to find this info. I have looked through all the aftermarket fog light install threads and none of them tell you the location of a harness even if it exists. Im lost

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Can i ask a random question that relates to the fog lights? Where on earth is the harness to plug in the switch to control the lights. I found the plug that goes into the fog light itself but i cant find the harness that actually goes to the switch. Is there not one on the 5th gen? Is it a hardwiring thing i have to do? Anyone have links to find this info. I have looked through all the aftermarket fog light install threads and none of them tell you the location of a harness even if it exists. Im lost

It's same connector as the side mirror adjustment switch. You have to swap the switch assembly out if you want factory fogs. The switch is kind of pricey...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322035615838

There's also a relay you need to install if your car didn't come with fogs.

Search my thread I posted a DIY with pics years ago.

The foglight wiring is part of the harness that plugs into the side mirror and parking brake button.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FWIW.... I put in Morimoto LED fogs just over 7 years ago and they have been trouble free ever since....really bright with great top line cut off. BTW I also went to independent fog light operation at the same time....if you search my posts you'll find my thread on how to do it.

Cheers

zZujZYt.jpg

eVnFC8a.jpg

EWcvjN8.jpg

1SznDhY.jpg

Qm6WInq.jpg

bgny0tQ.jpg

TnHNsyb.jpg

0QUR3p7.jpg

Note that the pics with the lights on were taken before I installed the LED fog ;)

Is all that fuss of messing with extra wiring really worth saving $60 on an OEM switch?

IMO is was well worth it. I still need to install my new bumper with the fogs, but I already have the switch and relay installed.

Is it worth it?? Yeah it is....if you want to run your fogs in DRL, low beam and high beam modes....it costs about $5 worth of wire and connectors, not to mention the whopping 20 minutes of your time.

This is NOT a way to avoid using the OEM wiring and switches ....It is a way to have full control over your fog lights in conjunction with the OEM set up.

Up to you ;)