LegacyGT.com

Comet Gasket Kit?

So as the title states, I'm trying to figure out if anyone has had experience with Comet gaskets or if there are any other decent complete engine gasket kits aside from OEM.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to be doing a ej251 partial rebuild/reseal but Subaru doesn't make a master gasket kit for that motor, so either I go non OEM or I buy all the Subaru gasket separately.

ENG, GSKT&SEAL KIT

10105AA860

That's the one I used from Subaru, don't know if it was ej251 specific but it had everything i needed except for, i think, spark plug tube seals. I forget but it was something pretty major that i was surprised i didn't get. but had everything literally for heads and if you end up splitting the case it has all those seals too.

was like $330 or so, from a dealership.

Just did this work to my 02 Forester EJ251 when I did the HG on it. I went with this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKWEBYM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=boxe0db-20&linkId=ee155bf9694563e92ff3789d12840a35

The head gaskets that come in this are the updated MLS based on the updated Subaru design. I can wholly confirm this as I was skeptical of a kit so "cheap" that I ordered a set of Subaru OE head gaskets for the EJ251. I ended up returning the Subaru gaskets when I found out they were 100% identical. If I had to order this kit again, I would in a heartbeat. My Forester is going great now for the last 1,000 miles since the rebuild with no leaks, so I cannot complain. Anyone who knows me knows I'm frugal but I also don't use crap parts on my car. I don't think this falls in the shit parts category after using the kit and seeing how it was compared to OE.

• 3 weeks later...
I rebuilt mine with the Felpro kit against better judgement and it's holding well at just over 10k on the gaskets. Not sure if that has anything to do with the ARP head studs I did but knock on wood it's held.

Thanks for the input, I think I'll end up going with the cheaper TS2617001SI kit only because both the comet and OEM kits are $200+ and since I'm no longer planning on keeping the car it's for, I'd rather go with a well reviewed cheap set. I still have left over OEM gaskets and OEM RTV sealant so I have a couple back up items if I need it.

Thanks for the input, I think I'll end up going with the cheaper TS2617001SI kit only because both the comet and OEM kits are $200+ and since I'm no longer planning on keeping the car it's for, I'd rather go with a well reviewed cheap set. I still have left over OEM gaskets and OEM RTV sealant so I have a couple back up items if I need it.

Seriously, I daily drive my Forester and this kit is great. If I were building an all new motor for it, I may have sprung for the more expensive Fel-Pro or Cometic kit, but my Forester has 210,000 miles on it and if that kit gets me another 100,000 miles before the motor goes kaboom, it's money well spent.

Just did this work to my 02 Forester EJ251 when I did the HG on it. I went with this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKWEBYM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=boxe0db-20&linkId=ee155bf9694563e92ff3789d12840a35

All those gaskets are cheap as hell. Compare any of those exhaust gaskets or even the throttle body gasket to a OEM one. It's night and day. Those crappy paper gaskets leak after 10,000k.

I've tried aftermarket and they never last. I Use OEM WRX parts where ever I can for my car.

All those gaskets are cheap as hell. Compare any of those exhaust gaskets or even the throttle body gasket to a OEM one. It's night and day. Those crappy paper gaskets leak after 10,000k.

I've tried aftermarket and they never last. I Use OEM WRX parts where ever I can for my car.

Yeah I would definitely prefer OEM if I was going to keep this car and it's definitely something to look it, I already got the kit in the mail and I compared some of the aftermarket cheap cam seals with some OEM ones and they both look and feel very comparable. I haven't measured them with a caliper but I probably won't bother. Also, my shitbox GT has 213k on it and it definitely needs a full rebuild but since I won't be the one doing that, I'd rather get it resealed and running so I can sell it to the next aspiring Subaru person, AND of course, I'll disclose everything.

I don't know what you mean by paper gaskets, but I haven't seen any paper gaskets for the exhaust or intake in that kit. In fact, they looked better than the OE gaskets I pulled from my motor. The motor in my Forester was never opened up, so I know every single gasket was OE on it. I'm going on 6,000 miles and still have no issues with that kit. I didn't use every gasket in the kit, only the head gaskets, intake, and exhaust gaskets, oh, and the tube seals. All of them looked to be virtually identical or better than the OE gasket I replaced.

I don't know, maybe my motor will start leaking from every orifice at 10,001 miles after the rebuild out of karma and spite. Maybe it won't. Who knows.

Archived