LegacyGT.com

Lipstick stain removal

Tried a few searches with some different keywords and couldn't find anything to my liking, so here goes. I've been looking up different ways to get rid of a bright pink lipstick stain on my taupe headliner but none of them seem very satisfactory... some results suggested I use isopropyl alcohol while others suggested very diluted Woolite to lift the stains. I also found a product called "Kiss-Off" that reportedly works quite well on stains of this type... my question is: has anyone had experience with this product? If not, anyone have any suggestions on how I should tackle this? I've tried a bit of isopropyl alcohol but haven't really been able to remove the stain :spin:

1. Scrape off excess lipstick.

2. Using a clean white cloth, sponge (BLOT) the stain with a dry-cleaning solvent.

3. Blot until the solvent is absorbed.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until the stain disappears or is no longer absorbed into the cloth.

5. If the stain remains, mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent (oil loving part) and one tablespoon of white vinegar with two cups of warm water.

6. Sponge the stain with the detergent/vinegar solution.

7. BLOT until the liquid is absorbed.

8. Sponge with COLD water and blot dry.

Haha, there's a perfectly innocent explanation as to how the stain got there :lol:

1. Scrape off excess lipstick.

2. Using a clean white cloth, sponge (BLOT) the stain with a dry-cleaning solvent.

3. Blot until the solvent is absorbed.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until the stain disappears or is no longer absorbed into the cloth.

5. If the stain remains, mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent (oil loving part) and one tablespoon of white vinegar with two cups of warm water.

6. Sponge the stain with the detergent/vinegar solution.

7. BLOT until the liquid is absorbed.

8. Sponge with COLD water and blot dry.

What sort of dry-cleaning solvent would you recommend? I'm just worried that whatever I use to get the stain out will also weaken the glue that holds the cloth to the spongy part. Thanks for the responses so far :)

Its really hard to find dry cleaning solvents in the local stores- your better off buying online[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030UFE8A?ie=UTF8&tag=househmanage1-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0030UFE8A]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030UFE8A?ie=UTF8&tag=househmanage1-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0030UFE8A[/ame] A little dry cleaner solvent goes a LONG way. You might even just call your local place and ask if they will sell you the solvent. If you buy it online, you can end up using the rest of it as a stain remover on all clothes that are dry clean safe.

You can use lighter fluid as a substitute for the solvent. But if you are worried about the glue being effected, I wouldn't try this.

Lipsticks these days are mainly oil. I would just try the dishwashing/vinegar mixture if you are not willing to buy the solvent. Just remember to blot and end with cold water. Rubbing would make it worse and possibly stretch out your headliner.

Hope it works!

Archived