LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest: DIY 5EAT built rebuild kits

ClimberDHexMods

Would you spend $1000 on a DIY 5EAT race rebuild kit?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend $1000 on a DIY 5EAT race rebuild kit?

• Yes, and I would do all the wrenching myself
    • Yes, but I would have my mechanic do the work
    • No, I'll leave this to my transmission shop

Gauging Interest: Hexagram Modiciations 5EAT Race Clutch Packs.

So it looks like I'm going to be getting into the transmission rebuild business, as a lot of my customers are trying to figure out what to eventually do, as NO automatic transmission can last forever.

I've arrived at the idea of selling the 3 main clutch pack drums in bolt-on format. They would be machined to hold more steels and frictions than stock, and would be precisely toleranced (the most important thing). They would arrive at your door still wet with fresh pre-soak ATF.

1) Unbolt and remove the transmission from the car yourself (saving you a huge heap of money), or have your mechanic / shop remove it.

2) Unbolt and remove front differential housing from main transmission case.

3) Pull off front main transmission case plate. From there, ALL the main 5EAT clutch pack drums can be pulled right out.

4) Place the new prepared / "built" drums in your case in reverse order. They literally stack one on top of the other.

5) Confirm the transmission lid tolerance, then bolt it back on and reverse order reinstall.

6) Add back ATF and Diff fluid.

7) Enjoy.

Of course it's more complicated than that, but this is the best--and only--way I have found that solves the major problem almost every rebuild come-back is due to: clutch pack tolerances.

This could save the DIY'er thousands of dollars, and the clutch packs would be a superior product to stock (for those modified engine folks who like the idea of more layers of clutch pack).

The key to this would be the installer having an accute attention to detail, as all instructions would be included, and would need to be followed to the letter. Trust me, you do NOT want to cowboy this kind of work.

That said, this is a new opportunity, and I would like to see who would be interested in doing this.

(No this is not going to distract from the 08 VB development). It would be a parallel, as a VB is no use without good clutch packs, and many have expressed concern (05-09) that their 5EATs are closer to the end than the beginning. And vise versa, clutch packs are useless without a proper valve body to clamp them tight.

EDIT: ACME Penultimate and Pinnacle 5EAT Rebuild Kits now will this need. Please PM me or KoukiS14 for details.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be a parallel, as a VB is no use without good clutch packs, and many have expressed concern (05-09) that their 5EATs are closer to the end than the beginning. And vise versa, clutch packs are useless without a proper valve body to clamp them tight.

This is me. LOL. ~150k on the baby!

So if we got this rebuild kit and your VB, it would basically make my trans like new? Not sure if you remember, but we've talked about my trans before via PM, and my 3-4 gear isn't doing too good. So will your rebuild kit fix that or only clutch packs?

This is me. LOL. ~150k on the baby!

So if we got this rebuild kit and your VB, it would basically make my trans like new? Not sure if you remember, but we've talked about my trans before via PM, and my 3-4 gear isn't doing too good. So will your rebuild kit fix that or only clutch packs?

1) Pretty much, yes.

2) Your issue IS a clutch pack, which would be replaced/upgraded with this proposed kit.

In summary, this is designed with you as a target customer.

All these threads make me realize I need to write up a basic summary of how the 5eat works. But that would take hours I don't have... but will have later on.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'm in but 1000 is a tad steep for a poor college student if you actually get this going is there a possibility of price drop?

I have no idea what price would be, nor will I until I make a pre-production set.

I have no idea what price would be, nor will I until I make a pre-production set.

Just throwing this out there, but the IPT Rebuild Kit is $829 so potential buyers would have to be educated as to the benefits of your product vs. theirs.

We already know your valve body modification is in a totally different league than IPT's, so I am confident your rebuild kit will be another huge bargain as well.

Just throwing this out there, but the IPT Rebuild Kit is $829 so potential buyers would have to be educated as to the benefits of your product vs. theirs.

We already know your valve body modification is in a totally different league than IPT's, so I am confident your rebuild kit will be another huge bargain as well.

Good idea.

Their rebuild kit is like any other rebuild kit, except has more layers, and costs quite a lot. You would need to open up the clutch pack drums and make sure your tolerances are spot on. You would also need a lathe to precisely machine your drum pistons, if I'm reading theirs right.

What I'm proposing here is totally different, that you don't need a feeler gauge or a lathe or to pack your own drums. You literally open up the front of the transmission, pull out the old drums, place in the new drums, and done. Race build without a race shop to build it for you. There's more to it that that, but so far just testing the waters.

My experience with rebuilds is that they can cost $2500 and up. Even if you have your mechanic help you drop the tranny that should cost about $500-600 (well i made friends with my mechanics and they let me use their lifts if they are dead, which is almsot never) you could save alot of money with this proposed kit.

BTW climber the you might be even able to sell this over seas since one of the JDM STi uses a 5EAT.

PS i dont need this since i am manual but this is a great idea.

If offered in the future I would be interested and would do this myself (I have some experience w/ autos), but I do have a hook up if I am lazy and would pay someone:lol:

I do not have the need/funds to do this anytime soon. I know this is just for gauging interest but just letting you guys know

This would be a great alternative if someone who is hesitant about the 'harsher' high rpm shifting from the Hex VB Mod. Increasing clutch packs should not have a major effect on shifting harshness, but should increase holding capabilities.

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

This is a pretty good idea.

Fix the center diff, do the Valve Body, and beef up the clutches. Then what could go wrong? Torque converter? Then the rear diff?

I wouldn't mind having a 5EAT with all of those goodies (plus, the JDM paddles).

It's not cheap, but it would turn the 5EAT into a transmission suitable for a fun sports sedan. $1000 for the clutches is a perfectly fine price.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My transmission is what scares me the most when I drive my car. I would love to install all 3 of your upgrades at once then get on the the bigger engine upgrades. Get that 08 VB done and I will throw my money at you!

Are the HexMods Center Differential Bulletproof Bushings still up for sale? After a quick scan in the thread I couldn't find an answer.

Archived