LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

Went junkyard hoping yesterday, found a 2011 2.5i that had been there only 5 days. Engine bay was completely empty, full front bottom end was sitting on the ground (didn't bother with it only being a 2011), but everything looked in pretty good shape all around. Scored both tails, both trunk lights, dash bezel, and paddles for $84 (accidentally stole the paddles, they were in my bag lmao), sadly the silver dash trim was not in good shape. Considering the going price for a single tail-only assembly is around $64, I'd say I got a pretty decent deal. :) Was a lot of fun to just poke around, and a good feeling knowing how to disassemble most everything I wanted.

GsiL0Qe.jpg

Amd36Fe.jpg

Went junkyard hoping yesterday, found a 2011 2.5i that had been there only 5 days. Engine bay was completely empty, full front bottom end was sitting on the ground (didn't bother with it only being a 2011), but everything looked in pretty good shape all around. Scored both tails, both trunk lights, dash bezel, and paddles for $84 (accidentally stole the paddles, they were in my bag lmao), sadly the silver dash trim was not in good shape. Considering the going price for a single tail-only assembly is around $64, I'd say I got a pretty decent deal. :) Was a lot of fun to just poke around, and a good feeling knowing how to disassemble most everything I wanted.

wrecked?

did it have a listing on it for miles,...or a vin # that you could look up?

I wonder how many good lookers will land in the pick and pulls / junk yards from a CVT that has gone terminal.

and no one wanted to fix it,...like it already had a rebuilt title.

= and therefore no quick cheap factory fix.

such maybe a typical sight after July 31, 2018.

Hmm....I'm going to be needing a driver's side window switch in the near future. Keeping my eye out for cars on Craigslist.

Hmm....I'm going to be needing a driver's side window switch in the near future. Keeping my eye out for cars on Craigslist.

I've been hitting a yard near Austin, TX recently. They have two legacy's and three outbacks. I've gotten a hoard of great parts already.

If anybody needs anything, feel free to hit me up. Only problem is that its 3 hours away so I can't go every weekend. I currently have a spare working sun sensor if anyone needs one.

Finally scored a nice set of 2008+ STI Brembos!

Had a few sets to choose from and this one was the furthest away but in the best condition with original finish and only 5500 miles. We worked out a deal on shipping and I went for it. My shoulder bursitis flared up loading it to the car though but it was totally worth it!

He even threw in the dust shields, though per GTEASER I'll probably only be able to use the front shields.

Only one of the 4 calipers had mounting bolts though so I just checked with the local dealer and lucky he has these in stock. Fronts come out to about $4 each and $3-something each for the rears.

I just need to get the rotors drilled to 5x100 so I can get them on!

Do not locktite the caliper bolts. The calipers are aluminum so you'll want to use anti-seize.

Noted, thanks for the tips!

I cant get over how light the calipers are! I hand carried a pair of 4-pots home with me from Japan a few months ago and they were a lot heavier than these Brembo fronts.

Took advantage of the eBay 20% off coupon and bought this 5 piece DAMD clone side skirt and rear bumper extension combo I've been eyeing forever. :) Really crazy good deal, especially coming color-code painted and free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/391724637965

This will leave me with two of the center pieces, one in black and one in ICM, which I'll eventually sell off. Plan to run the DAMD rear corner pieces until I can gather up enough money to get the Gialla lip painted and mounted (and figure out wtf to do about the rear reflectors), then dismount them and remount them with the Gialla. Honestly, I may just pick up a new rear bumper cover to mount the Gialla on, might make the process easier and cleaner, but that's future stuff.

Finally picked up a downstream oxygen sensor for my P0420 code. I just ordered it on Amazon for $53 shipped and the cheapest I could find the same exact sensor in town at a shop was $90... damn.

I will install it this weekend and see if it gets rid of my P0420 issue. The check engine light is coming on a little more often with the warmer weather, so it's time to deal with it.

I also picked up a new clay bar, some polish, sealer and wax. I need to give the Forester and Legacy some exterior paint attention... two black Subaru's need a lot of attention to look good/great!

stewdogg - that's a good price for a rear O2 sensor. Denso?

An alternative approach is to have a t00ner disable the AF#3 Learn/Correct fueling contributions and the DTC. An elegant permanent and safe solution to this on all Subaru's,

especially those that are running catless or with high-flow cats, or have had their O2 sensors moved from stock location.

Thanks Perscitus! Yes, it's a Denso.

Thanks for the heads up too! I will be going that route eventually. I'm slowly working my way towards that. I'm going to do the struts/shocks first, then on to the engine stuff with a tune.

I didn't even know I needed LED fog lights... :)

I ordered a set of the 2015-2017 Mustang fog lights and some tint colored lens covers from Lamin-x.

My car looks a little goofy with only one fog light.

I picked up a drive belt and put it in today because the old one was all cracked to hell. The auto adjuster makes the job so much easier than the belts in my Forester and the old WRX. The Legacy is the easiest swap of a drive belt I have done, ever!

I didn't buy this, but touched up a couple rock chips with a touch up pen. They never look great, just better than white spots on a black car.

This thread is making me realize how much pampering money I'm spending on the GT...:)

I just put in my order for the Koni inserts, top hats and Eibach Springs. I'm stoked to get these installed!

This thread is making me realize how much pampering money I'm spending on the GT...:)

I just put in my order for the Koni inserts, top hats and Eibach Springs. I'm stoked to get these installed!

I have not done the research myself, but what is the difference between going Koni/Eibach and 13-14 struts/coils? The 13-14 will be much better than the earlier setup and Koni/Eibach seem to be the pinnacle at this point. But price-wise and bang for your buck, which is the better way to go?

I have not done the research myself, but what is the difference between going Koni/Eibach and 13-14 struts/coils? The 13-14 will be much better than the earlier setup and Koni/Eibach seem to be the pinnacle at this point. But price-wise and bang for your buck, which is the better way to go?

The better way to go seems to be dependent on how much drop you want from the springs.

From what I have read:

The 13-14 coils are a bit firmer and the same height as the stock 2010-11 Legacy's.

The Eibachs's drop the car 1" all around and have a slightly firmer ride than the 13-14 coils, but when coupled with the Koni's it's supposed to be a nice combo between ride and handling.

I wanted to get a little drop on the car to get the look and take away the floating feeling around sweeping turns, so I got the Eibach's.:)

If I end up having too much issues with clearance in the snow this winter I will be getting the stock 13-14 coils and going with that.

Not planning on dropping the ride height on my car. I regularly have a load of people and I don't need it dragging on speed bumps or driveway curbs. Love the look though.
Let me explain the physics of drop springs, they are stiffer, with higher spring rates and therefore resist the sag that stock springs exhibit when carrying a load, be it people or bags of potting soil. You may lower the car, but with the stiffer springs and better shocks, I guarantee you won't scrape or bottom out in driveways or over speed bumps.....ever!

Let me explain the physics of drop springs, they are stiffer, with higher spring rates and therefore resist the sag that stock springs exhibit when carrying a load, be it people or bags of potting soil. You may lower the car, but with the stiffer springs and better shocks, I guarantee you won't scrape or bottom out in driveways or over speed bumps.....ever!

You are making a lot of assumptions on the height of driveways, and speed bumps there. I was scraping at stock height on a few, so now I just avoid those ones. I know with any kind of drop I would scrape on a few more I can't easily avoid.

You are making a lot of assumptions on the height of driveways, and speed bumps there. I was scraping at stock height on a few, so now I just avoid those ones. I know with any kind of drop I would scrape on a few more I can't easily avoid.

I had that issue on normal-ish driveways with my 2010 springs. the 2013 springs that I installed fixed that.

IMO the 2010 springs were just too soft.

Realized I never posted these in here. Got a neat little thing the other day: Wangan SPL Pocket Rubber Mats. I love branding my car with anything related to Wangan (the Japanese Bayshore Highway Route, which I'm a huge fanboy of) like my grille badge, the kanji on my drivers door mirror, and various stickers around my car, so these are just more goodness related to that. The red nicely matches my interior too.

These are specific to the 5th gen Legacy and fit 100% the same JDM to USDM, save for the front cup holder (which you can use if you've done the JDM cup holder mod). They come with mats for the following:

-Front cup holder (JDM only)

-Middle Dash cubby

-Lower Dash open cubby

-Armrest interior compartment

-All 4 doors upper pocket

-All 4 doors lower pocket

-2x rear armrest cupholders

They're so goofy, but they're actually really nicely made and fit perfectly. There was thought and effort put into their design, even so much as where they have a length of blank rubber on the rear door pockets to account for the height drop into the cup holder. I honestly love them. :lol:

They're available directly from Wangan SPL's site, but you'll need to use a Japanese purchaser like MyJapanBrand or Buyee to order them. They're about $33 for the item and roughly the same to ship. The Wangan branded ones come in red and blue only, but there's a third color named "Hotaru" (green normally, turns white in sunlight) that you can find unbranded if you poke around.

Blue: https://www.wangan-spl.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=521

Red: https://www.wangan-spl.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=522

8Ho50Ak.thumb.jpg.d0b0e3c6626542afecdc62786ab4a6b9.jpg

PpMenlO.thumb.jpg.1d17a130b6c5df8595b93aba7ea53fe8.jpg

uXCsn6B.thumb.jpg.cd3cec4f038c75dbbc237c7bbc511de5.jpg

8PunLOH.thumb.jpg.3360d362f0edca8bc2e88e01cd4ab0fb.jpg

MdqW8VW.thumb.jpg.b7477758e0c3fbb85a35f555b0ffe88e.jpg

Id26Tf9.thumb.jpg.e823c273e236cc8bc18dacf300e5f15e.jpg

A0k4kAB.thumb.jpg.97043bf2cec3d99ff9bcf1075f758db7.jpg

Edited by Humble Rumble