LegacyGT.com

Older 5eat AT in 08 to allow for valve body upgrade.

As title reads. Will an older 5eat that can use the valve body upgrades be a strait swap into the 08s? I am weighing my opinions. I bought the 5eat due to an hour of stop and go traffic to and from work and now I sort of regret it. Have even thought about a MT swap.

As far as I know, No. I recently purchased a VB for my 05 GT and if I remember correctly they go as follows, '05-'06 are the same, then '07-'09 are the same and do not work together but I am not 100% on that.

@WhiteXC, What makes you dissapointed in it? When it comes to Automatic transmissions I find this one quite decent with the button/paddle shift. My other car is a '05 Monte Carlo Supercharged w/4T65E-HD, It is Bomb Proof strong but has super long gears and is not exactly fast shifting either.

Quick and simple no it will not work.

Sad Dave seems to have quit the Hexmod option for a rebuild, bums me out.

Go read through his valve body upgrade or the 5EAT pride thread.

There is a lot of information available.

Was looking forward to working with him on a full rebuild when needed. But still running at 219K.

Next option is an experienced transmission tech willing to rebuild, install TransGo and center diff mods.

@WhiteXC, What makes you dissapointed in it? When it comes to Automatic transmissions I find this one quite decent with the button/paddle shift. My other car is a '05 Monte Carlo Supercharged w/4T65E-HD, It is Bomb Proof strong but has super long gears and is not exactly fast shifting either.

So, maybe a bit harsh in the words I chose to describe what I would think Subaru should have gotten right after years of being in service (era 2002?) But not really....it is exactly that. I love the car for what it is with only mufflers and a stage 1 tune. I drive this thing. Not looking to squeeze every last bit out of it. Could the shifts be more crisp IMHO? Absolutely.

This is where it gets frustrating. I have done the TCU memory clear 4 times now and have only owned the car since late October. It is my understanding that I may have a failing Turbine Speed Sensor. I have done a fair amount of reading and with others chiming in have possibly narrowed down my sloppy sliiiide-bang 2-3 shift that comes and goes to that failing sensor. After I do a reset the car shifts great for weeks. In the morning when fluid is cold the car shifts great. I have done 3 drain and fills with Idemitsu HP. Next is dropping the pan/valve body and changing the sensor along with the fender filter and new fluid....again. All this on a car that only has 57k.

Yes I bought it used, yes it is an older model and yes all cars have issues. We come to places like this to learn and make right things that we encounter. It seems there is enough chatter about the 5EAT that it just makes me wish I had found the car with a MT instead. Rant over and thanks for everyone's input. I do appreciate all the great info here.

I might end up biting the bullet and doing the 6mt swap then. Most people would say sell it but I have 100s of hours now into this car with the motor swap, brake line replacements, etc... So it has officially become a keeper so planning for the future is what I will need to be doing. It works for now. I ordered a cable to do a reset on the TCU since I think there might be some issues after the motor swap. Hard shifting, feels like little hiccups only in 5th gear at highway speed, so other weird feelings. Appreciate the info it is too bad Hex is no longer working on these.

Yeah but look at the loss and return angle. I've been quoted a general 4K for drive in transmission rebuild. This is in contrast to a 6MT upgrade that can cost 10 to 12K.

I never suspected this one would last over 180K. Probably living on barrowed time...

But still dive it in sport/manual keep up on your pan drops and it's not a really bad option.

So, maybe a bit harsh in the words I chose to describe what I would think Subaru should have gotten right after years of being in service (era 2002?) But not really....it is exactly that. I love the car for what it is with only mufflers and a stage 1 tune. I drive this thing. Not looking to squeeze every last bit out of it. Could the shifts be more crisp IMHO? Absolutely.

This is where it gets frustrating. I have done the TCU memory clear 4 times now and have only owned the car since late October. It is my understanding that I may have a failing Turbine Speed Sensor. I have done a fair amount of reading and with others chiming in have possibly narrowed down my sloppy sliiiide-bang 2-3 shift that comes and goes to that failing sensor. After I do a reset the car shifts great for weeks. In the morning when fluid is cold the car shifts great. I have done 3 drain and fills with Idemitsu HP. Next is dropping the pan/valve body and changing the sensor along with the fender filter and new fluid....again. All this on a car that only has 57k.

Yes I bought it used, yes it is an older model and yes all cars have issues. We come to places like this to learn and make right things that we encounter. It seems there is enough chatter about the 5EAT that it just makes me wish I had found the car with a MT instead. Rant over and thanks for everyone's input. I do appreciate all the great info here.

Not Harsh at all, I was just curious. Always nice to know others feedback or opinions. Compared to my other car's transmission this thing feels much tighter (2005 Monte Carlo Supercharged @364whp, 4T65E-HD, w/2.91:1 final drive when stock). I put a shift kit, granted its not extreme. I also changed final drive to 3.29:1. Honestly it still shifts fairly slow but alot firmer but the Gear Ratio change was incredible. I have not driven it since I purchased the Subaru but If I remember correctly in Sport Mode, the 5EAT is not far behind shift speed wise.

I am new to Subaru's and since I am not the only one driving the car I had to go with an Automatic which I think sucks. Honestly though, I find this transmission to be a fair compromise between the two and much better than I thought it was going to be. It does not shift super fast or hard or anything but that can be "fixed" or at least improved greatly with some mods like a Valve Body from what I have read and seen in videos. I have yet to install mine but will do this summer when I put on the rest of the the parts I have waiting to be put on.

Main thing running in sport mode or manual is higher line pressure. This is not going to help with the change reaction time much but help with getting the clutch packs engaged. I opted not to go with a VB upgrade back in 2016 and regret it now. So in stock form your best bet is to run it in sport according to Dave.

Main thing running in sport mode or manual is higher line pressure. This is not going to help with the change reaction time much but help with getting the clutch packs engaged. I opted not to go with a VB upgrade back in 2016 and regret it now. So in stock form your best bet is to run it in sport according to Dave.

Sport not S# right?

There is a IPT built 5eat from a 2008 on Pittsburgh craigslist for $4k.

Strongly considering picking this up - turns out it's Plattsburg, NY -_-

Might still inquire because that's a steal

Archived