LegacyGT.com

Question for those who have etuned with 5eat

Both are the 2 most reputable tuners mentioned on the forum. I don't have experience with TA but i've heard good things. As far as Cryo, i'm finishing up my etune with them right now and the experience has been fantastic. We've done several revisions to perfectly dial it in and the process has been smooth and simple.

I have the 5EAT, upgraded custom JMP VF52, catless UP, catted DP, and grimmspeed EBCS.

By TCU he's just messing with the calculated and requested torque tables in the ECU.

On a 5EAT, it's best to do an opens source tune because of this. Ask the tuner how they rework the calculated torque table. If they say they dont touch it (or wont touch it) find a diffrent tuner. These tables tell the TCU about the additional torque the tuned motor it putting out so it can react accordingly.

I am trying to get set up with Cryo (Dave), I worry that I am asking him too many questions as I always prefer to be very certain. I have a VF52, catless UP, high flow catted DP, and nameless axleback and will be obtaining a grimmspeed EBCS. Oh, and a mishimoto top mount.

Can someone explain the process and timeline in the process for an e tune with Dave? I just want to make sure if I cannot make a full pull in a day or two (snow is coming in the next few days) he will be able to work with me on revision time.

I assume after he receives payment within 24-48 hours he sends a base map. Then within 72 hours I have to send a data log (directly off accessport, or do I need to do an advanced data log with the accesstuner??). Then Dave revises within 24 hours and sends back, and we repeat up to 10 revisions or thirty days?

If dyno becomes necessary, Tuning Alliance and BrenTuning are good reputable folks.

Both are the 2 most reputable tuners mentioned on the forum. I don't have experience with TA but i've heard good things. As far as Cryo, i'm finishing up my etune with them right now and the experience has been fantastic. We've done several revisions to perfectly dial it in and the process has been smooth and simple.

I have the 5EAT, upgraded custom JMP VF52, catless UP, catted DP, and grimmspeed EBCS.

Sounds like me but toss in a Perrin top mount and GS intake. You using stock fueling? Part of me wants to wait but I rather have it running now and just retune again when I got the parts in hand.

Sounds like me but toss in a Perrin top mount and GS intake. You using stock fueling? Part of me wants to wait but I rather have it running now and just retune again when I got the parts in hand.

I am/was in the same boat about whether or not to upgrade fueling.

For $500 injectors, $150 fuel pump, $200 wideband, $100 extra in tune (some charge more for different fuel systems), that's almost $1000 extra just for 10-30 HP on a conservative tune. I mean I'm sure you can get an extra 40whp and 60 ft lbs of torque if someone really pushed it, but then I start thinking about the transmission longevity and other stuff. I should think about suspension... oh, and my low compression...

Mine is being tuned by TA currently and engine runs so much smoother than the OTS Cobb stage 2 tune.

As far as my 5EAT, I'm not sure what's different but if it shifts earlier because of torque isn't that a gas saver? Plus there is always manual sport mode! :)

By TCU he's just messing with the calculated and requested torque tables in the ECU.

On a 5EAT, it's best to do an opens source tune because of this. Ask the tuner how they rework the calculated torque table. If they say they dont touch it (or wont touch it) find a diffrent tuner. These tables tell the TCU about the additional torque the tuned motor it putting out so it can react accordingly.

So this can only be achieved with an open source tune? Is it possible to use an accessport to switch maps that have been open source created? Meaning if I return my downpipe to oem temporarily can I drop ots stage 1 in and switch back to the open source created map after I put back my Cobb downpipe? I apologize in advance if its a dumb question.

Yeah I’m running stock fueling. I’m at high elevation in Colorado so I can get away with stock fueling pretty easily.

So this can only be achieved with an open source tune? Is it possible to use an accessport to switch maps that have been open source created? Meaning if I return my downpipe to oem temporarily can I drop ots stage 1 in and switch back to the open source created map after I put back my Cobb downpipe? I apologize in advance if its a dumb question.

They don’t have the tables to do this defined in the Cobb tubing software, so unfortunately that’s the only way.

I’ve heard rumors that an accessport will save whatever was on the ECU in the first place if and put it back if you revert to stock, but don’t have any confirmation of this. You can switch maps with a laptop/tablet yourself if you need to put the stock downpipe back on for emissions. Kind of overkill using an accessport for that unless you go a screaming deal on it.

Both of my XT 5EATs are XRT (Extreme Racing Tuning) tuned.

Both car are modified. One mild, one wild. My 5spd slushboxes are my favorite parts of both cars. XRT has the smack doen on the 5EAT.

There is some very interesting info to be read on the XRT website. Didn't realize there could be such a difference with Cobb (pro tune) vs Open source (pro tune)... Especially benefits for 5EAT owners.

http://xtremeracingtuning.com/tuning-services/

I see you are out in Golden. Ha. We are at mile high, so keep in mind we have about 180WHP, maybe. And no 2 cars have the same power curve.

The main thing to realize is that our cars, just like us are individual and unique to a certain level. Meaning no (2) cars are truly the same. Especially a 10 year old LGT/OBXT. Lets face it, this platform is the best the 5EAT was put into. XRT has significant experience with the platform. Not only tuning, but making it healthy for sex to begin with.

I can't remember the lat time I actually grabbed a manual shift. Just about the time I think to...the 5EAT is right ahead of me. Once in a while I want to hold 3rd for variations in throttle for a varied period of time. That is about the only situation my stick ever leaves the auto position in sport mode.

I just don't even think about it anymore.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

I’ve seen XRT’s “magic” calculated torque table... it could seriously be improved upon. Not to mention this forum has sort of ban from talking about him due to advertising and pushing his wares on here without following the rules and donating. He’s also not been very open about what he’s doing. He clams to tune the TCU, but all he’s doing is changing what the ECU sends to the TCU.

Go to the transmission forum and dig through the “5EAT ask your questions” and reverse engineering threads. There were two tuners that were quite helpful when I found and published the calculated torque tables for our cars. Nether are vendors here so i cant directly recommend them, but they did add a lot to the community. I’d recommend looking through the official vendor list on RomRaider.com though.

If you go with one of the vendors on here see if they can/are willing to make the calculated and requested torque tables match the actual estimated engine output. That will get you most of the way there.

I do not seem to directly follow "make the calculated and requested torque tables match the actual estimated engine output." Would this not be a byproduct of just a normal tune done properly or are these parameters that are usually not even dealt with via e tune and dyno tune? Not sure if Cryo and Tuning Alliance are on the same page about this?

It wasn’t understood what they were used for in the context of the automatic transmissions, or even dccd, before relatively recently.

Most tuning is done on manual transmission vehicles, so changing these never did anything noticeable for them. The code in the ECU having to do with this was is also kind of a mess. Thus no one really looked at it. Throttlehappy started looking into it for tuning mainly AT drag cars in Australia, and then got some others in the open source community to start looking at it for corner cases that demanded it for the thing to even work. See Elegua‘s 5th gen wagon that Fahr_side worked on for instance. That thing would have been slipping like hell without the TCU knowing what that motor was actually outputting.

I’ve seen XRT’s “magic” calculated torque table... it could seriously be improved upon. Not to mention this forum has sort of ban from talking about him due to advertising and pushing his wares on here without following the rules and donating.

I was not aware of either. I won't mention my tuner anymore.

I will say this, without the "serious improvement" mentioned here....

My 2005 OBXT has just a tune and a cat-less up-pipe. I consistently beat LGT MT/Autos and stock SpecBs at the drag strip. No boost launching...full AUTO mode. I all cases, the other drivers felt they dove their best, best they could do.

So, I guess I would like to see what I'm missing.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

So, I guess I would like to see what I'm missing.

Let's just say he takes a big complex 3D table that the engineering at Denso and Subaru put a lot of time into for a reason and turns it into a linear 2d table :spin:

Worked with both, preference to Cryo for better back and forth communication.

I'm sure Cryo could tune the CT table in EcuFlash. Just make sure he does, as it wont be in the standard starting point templets he's previously developed. There is a thread over on RomRaider.com with the definition for this table, or one can find it pretty easily with Scoobyrom (it's one of the first big 3D tables in the ROM, and references RPM and injector base pulse width or load depending on the year).

Archived