LegacyGT.com

what is that part?

I wonder, what is this part and what is its mission? I see some tar and dirty dust in the inlet pipe and I dont understand, what is the reason of sending dirty air or some kind dirty things into main air intake system that it needs fresh and clean air and while already have such a complex air filter system system....

http://i.hizliresim.com/7AkqvL.jpg

I wonder, what is this part and what is its mission? I see some tar and dirty dust in the inlet pipe and I dont understand, what is the reason of sending dirty air or some kind dirty things into main air intake system that it needs fresh and clean air and while already have such a complex air filter system system....

http://i.hizliresim.com/7AkqvL.jpg

That's the crank case vent, if you follow the hose from the intake to where it goes, it'll lead you to the valve covers. You have a vent on each of the valve covers and it vents oily air into the intake. If you don't want to put that oily crap into your engine you can remove the hose and let it vent to atmosphere/engine bay (which will make your engine bay oily) or you can re-route the hose and install a catch can.

Under throttle that hose comes under vacuum. One of the benefits of this is creating a vacuum in the valve covers. With too much pressure in the valve covers you will pop the valve cover gaskets. I "tested" this in my corvette thinking that cleaner air in the intake would make more power. I replaced the pcv system with breather filters. On a particularly hard fun day I blew the oil pan gasket out because the breathers I had installed were not capable of venting the pressure created by the crankcase. Note this was on a 400+ crank hp sbc running into 8k rpm. But I wouldn't mess with it without some kind of substitutionary vacuum pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Archived