LegacyGT.com

Fuel Pressure Fluctuation

My fuel pressure fluctuation issues have me stumped as well as TWO of the most respected tuners on this forum. Been trying to solve this for a year now...

Pressure has +/- 10psi swings during full throttle within 300 rpm span from 5500 rpm to redline. Pressure swings are monitored with an AEM fuel pressure gauge and verified with an AEM wideband as the swings directly affect the air fuel ratio.

The problems became visible last year when I installed the AEM gauges along with DeatchWerks 850cc injectors and 65C pump at the same time. Below is a list of parts I've replaced trying to solve the problem:

fuel pump

fuel pump sock

all 3 fuel pump housing o-rings and 2 o-rings on fuel pump neck

fuel filter

upgrade to sit fuel pressure regulator

relocated fuel pressure regulator vacuum source

verified voltage and current going to the fuel pump is correct

Car runs great otherwise and boost pressure is solid. VF52 turbo

I truly appreciate any input you might have. Truly at a loss of what to do next.

On your pressure transducer, what's it's output range? If you can get it down to ~1v with a voltage divider, you could capture the pulsation with the audio input of a laptop. With that you could do an FFT on it and get the the frequency of the oscillation to get a better idea what's going on.

That'd work. Most laptops can take a 1Vrms signal in the line in. That comes out to 2.8v ish p-p so a 1/2 divider would be fine. Your profile says you're an ME so I presume you took circuits at some point and can figure this out.

http://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/voltage-divider.png

Vin is from your gauge logging output.

Make R1 and R2 the same value, probably 1K ish.

Add a ~4.7uf capacitor inline with Vout to filter out DC. That will be spliced into a 3.5mm audio cable to ether L or R. Make ground the same for everything.

Record it with audacity or the like and then do a spectrum graph or FFT (depending on what functions the program it has).

• 4 weeks later...
Turkeylord did a complete loom rewire of the electrical feed lines to the fuel pump. Look here and see if it is something that may help:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/upgrading-your-fuel-pump-wiring-4th-gen-213570.html?t=213570

I have the DW hardwire kit on hand. Just haven't installed it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived