LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

no i haven't, could it be losing that much oil through the PCV? i figured most of it would end up back in the engine, all though i guess its goes to the intake. I'll pull the hose off of it tonight. i guess if it's full of oil I'll just replace it and see what happens.

I was thinking more like a clogged unit which could cause more oil to be pushed past the rings etc.

Sad to hear of these issues since ours uses about a pencil width on the dip stick after 5K with almost 95K miles on her.

so...here's some videos of that link (part no. 20157AJ040) being installed in case anyone's curious where exactly it goes. it's just 2 bolts, so the install isn't hard, but i was having a hard time visualizing exactly what it bolted on to, thought this might help others.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLwrORMiF3rj_f2SVKAYgw

I was thinking more like a clogged unit which could cause more oil to be pushed past the rings etc.

Sad to hear of these issues since ours uses about a pencil width on the dip stick after 5K with almost 95K miles on her.

how could i check that? if I take it out should i be able to blow thru it in one direction but not the other?

Humble, how is NVH with these so far?

I am looking into bracing and love the concept of the STI tS stuff with flex joints to minimize NVH.

EDIT: about the front member, IIRC there is already a factory support that bolts on to that location? IIRC it is a lot thinner and only held on by a bolt on each end though, unlike the 3 bolts the Cusco uses.

Will look for pics, I have them I think.

EDIT: Pics of OE braces. Attached with three bolts but the third in a different spot:

8hWThGl.jpg

My car has a brace in that area already, do the US cars have these too?

If you have the OE braces, is the Cusco installed in conjunction with the OE braces or does it replace them?

No increase in NVH whatsoever. The US cars have those two-bolt brackets as well. The Cusco plates replace these brackets and tie in to the nut on the outside of each of them as well.

Looks like for JDM there are spots to add bolts to the 2 middle holes.

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/700184/car/596618/3563612/note.aspx

p2.jpg?ct=41e788f6fe70

As for this rear brace that you and cww are talking about, this was an exclusive piece for the Sport trim 13-14 cars in the US. Only the Sport cars have the two middle extra mounting holes, but the factory brace can still be added to any other model without the outside mount points. The rear Cusco bar mounts to the same points this factory rear brace would mount to minus the middle two spots.

I do believe some JDM models got this rear brace too, but that is one of the few things I'm actually unsure on.

No increase in NVH whatsoever. The US cars have those two-bolt brackets as well. The Cusco plates replace these brackets and tie in to the nut on the outside of each of them as well.

As for this rear brace that you and cww are talking about, this was an exclusive piece for the Sport trim 13-14 cars in the US. Only the Sport cars have the two middle extra mounting holes, but the factory brace can still be added to any other model without the outside mount points. The rear Cusco bar mounts to the same points this factory rear brace would mount to minus the middle two spots.

I do believe some JDM models got this rear brace too, but that is one of the few things I'm actually unsure on.

Are there any other NA Sport trim specific undercarriage parts besides this brace?

That's the only one that I'm aware of. I found the part number for it at one point, it was a pain in the ass to track down. It isn't shown on any factory parts diagram, but every Sport I've inspected in person has the brace.

That's the only one that I'm aware of. I found the part number for it at one point, it was a pain in the ass to track down. It isn't shown on any factory parts diagram, but every Sport I've inspected in person has the brace.

Part number is 20157AJ040 It was about $100 Cdn.

Removed the perrin axlebacks off my car this week. I really don't know if I want to put them back on or wait for some other planned upgrades and get a custom catback made up. I would love something just a touch mellower. But they do sound so good!

Maybe I will add some sound deadening to the speaker shelf and then put them back in...I am also probably going to drop her down off the spacers, they are cracked in the mounting holes and I am really hoping to get to the bottom of this suspension creak/pop. The driver side strut has never really sat right in the strut tower.

Air in all (4) and also in the other vehicle.

I have no ideal how I ended up dropping a trans from a Pontiac GXP. I suppose to work on my vehicle. What a pain in the rear. I had to drop the engine cradle.

Edited by amusa

got my car back from getting head gaskets done on friday.

and yesterday she left on a tow truck again. ran okay on the way home until about 20 minutes in where it died on me a couple times as i went to neutral during the last 10 minutes of the drive. once it got home i was sitting not touching anything, but if i blipped the throttle the engine would surge a few times, drop real low on revs and then eventually die. so, that's nice.

Wheel alignment after the height adjust. Had to do it at a local gas station, they were the only one open on a Sunday.

EaRv5BV.jpg

I had to redo it today though, it didnt feel right.

At my go-to alignment place they discovered toe way off on one wheel, plus a bad front wheel bearing, so had to get that taken cared of before alignment.

Good thing the nearest dealer had them in stock. I decided to do both fronts even if only the right side was bad.

499allX.jpg

Kjkejqc.jpg

jxbF7S1.jpg

Dropped the car off at the shop with all these goodies. Can't wait to get it back later this week and feel the difference. The endlinks and braces I added last week already made a huge improvement, the car is going to feel completely brand new after this. Can't wait to see the height with the H&R springs as well. Super excited.

ySKhjCD.jpg

got my car back from getting head gaskets done on friday.

and yesterday she left on a tow truck again. ran okay on the way home until about 20 minutes in where it died on me a couple times as i went to neutral during the last 10 minutes of the drive. once it got home i was sitting not touching anything, but if i blipped the throttle the engine would surge a few times, drop real low on revs and then eventually die. so, that's nice.

got my car back yesterday, again. a couple vacuum lines popped out, one that was in line with the map sensor, so that's what was causing the rough idle and dying. car drove great, shop put about 100 miles on it before giving it back to me and i put about 50 last night, no problems thus far...need to clean the engine bay this weekend.

got my car back yesterday, again. a couple vacuum lines popped out, one that was in line with the map sensor, so that's what was causing the rough idle and dying. car drove great, shop put about 100 miles on it before giving it back to me and i put about 50 last night, no problems thus far...need to clean the engine bay this weekend.

I'm more confused by the "5th door" does he mean the trunk?