LegacyGT.com

Increasing range on push button remote start?

I have a 2016 legacy with a push button start, and the remote start feature included in the key/remote. I was wondering if there was a way to increase the range of the remote by adding in the antenna that plugs into the other remote start unit that has a separate fob for starting the engine. That unit uses an antenna that plugs into the control module and is wired along the front pillar of the car and is attached to the top of the front windshield. I haven't had a chance to look at the exact wiring but just wondering and sharing my thoughts.

I was wondering if there was a way to increase the range of the remote by adding in the antenna that plugs into the other remote start unit that has a separate fob for starting the engine.

No.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Hold the fop against your chin. You might get a few more feet.

But seriously, no. I hated the remote start on my Legacy. Primarily because the car would turn off when I opened the door. It detected the key to unlock so leave the car running.

Do you know that for a fact?

oh well, sure. That antenna comes with the long range kit. You could buy the kit and use the antenna to somehow splice it into the factory module; Open up the fob that came with the kit and remove the antenna in there (and hope its not integrated into the PCB) and somehow add it to the factory fob. And then wish it works.

or

Just get the long range kit and use the fob that comes with it!

:cool:

I know the long range antenna plugs into the control module, I was hoping I'd just be able to switch out one antenna for the other (with the logic being since the antenna rests near the top of the windshield, it receives better reception). I know the push start module has the connection for that antenna. Could it be as simple as just switching antennas? I don't know about the internals of the key fob and didn't realize you'd have to switch something in there as well.

I know the long range antenna plugs into the control module, I was hoping I'd just be able to switch out one antenna for the other (with the logic being since the antenna rests near the top of the windshield, it receives better reception). I know the push start module has the connection for that antenna. Could it be as simple as just switching antennas? I don't know about the internals of the key fob and didn't realize you'd have to switch something in there as well.

I would need to see a wiring diagram in order to tell you if it was possible...

in theory if it is the same control module, it should work.

I doubt it is just the antenna. The control modules of the factory and long range may be putting out different power levels to the antenna and using different type of modulation/ codes being sent. No easy way to know, unless you are able to get a hold of Subaru's design documents that detail whats going on in the control modules.

Archived