LegacyGT.com

Rear Brake Pad replacement @ 28k

Greetings all,

I just want to a local shop to get my oil change and tire rotation. They said my rear brake pads were low, and need to be replaced and resurface the rotors. They would charge ~$119 to do the job. I was wondering what you guys have done and pricing (local Subaru dealer) or a place like Firestone, and price. On my other cars, I've usually had to replace the front not the rear. I am not a person to do it myself.

Thanks.

Seems like a reasonable price, but the wear seems very premature to me. Volvos are notorious for eating up rear brakes, but still last 45,000 or more. There's some underlying cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend not to trust shops like Goodyear or Firestone. I one took my Crown Victoria at the time to Goodyear for new tires and I had just replaced the front rotors and pads. So once they were done the manager called me and was pointing at the front calipers saying that they were in dire need of replacing. I looked at him and said, my dad has a shop, he'll take care of it. He was pist at my response but that is not unusual for these places to try and sell you services you don't really need. I would have another shop take a look.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

@whitesnake...28K is nothing for brakes on a Suby so I don't really think you need them. Are you experiencing any issues with the driving of the car that would lead you to believe your rotors need resurfacing??? As others have said above, I would take it to your Suby dealer for a free brake inspection and see what they say. Typically, as Willinh stated above, I do believe that you are covered under your factory BTB warranty assuming you car isn't greater than 3 years old.

Brakes including pads are covered by warranty for 3yrs/36,000 miles. It is not uncommon on cars with EBD-Electronic Brake Distribution to wear rear brakes faster than the front. Be careful who you let service them...the electronic rear parking brake can be easily damaged by untrained shops.

I tend not to trust shops like Goodyear or Firestone. I one took my Crown Victoria at the time to Goodyear for new tires and I had just replaced the front rotors and pads. So once they were done the manager called me and was pointing at the front calipers saying that they were in dire need of replacing. I looked at him and said, my dad has a shop, he'll take care of it. He was pist at my response but that is not unusual for these places to try and sell you services you don't really need. I would have another shop take a look.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I second this. My father took his '11 Legacy 3.6R to a Big O tires towards the end of last year and part of the service was having his front brakes done. When I was visiting him in April, I noticed a noise coming from the front end that we couldn't figure out. I bugged him for months to take it in until he finally did a couple of weeks ago to a much more reputable, independent mechanic. It turns out that Big O had the incorrect size pads in the front calipers causing us to hear a clunking noise from the pads themselves shifting in the caliper under braking. I do not trust any shop like Big O, Firestone, Discount Tire, Goodyear, etc to do anything other than sell me tires and possibly swap them if I trust the location. I have any major work or service done at my local Subaru dealer or an independent mechanic, and I always get a second opinion if I'm skeptical of what one place has said or investigate it myself.

Aside from all the good advice above, I'm suspicious of that price. It is actually TOO good in my opinion. The labor for resurfacing two rotors and new pads for 119? What kind of discount pads are they using?

I just replaced my rear pads and rotors at 50k. The pads still had some life left.

That's crazy low mileage for needing brake work. I replaced my rears on my 2010 at roughly 90K and front at about 110K. I did the work myself, and had no issue with the electronic parking brake. Both were just a pad slap since the rotors were in decent shape.

Does anyone have any experience with the Electronic brake force distribution? When I hit the brakes you can feel the pulsation in the seats. I don't think its the rotors as I brought it to the dealer last year and the could not find anything wrong.I'm bringing it in today as it is a lot more frequent and sucks. I have 35,652 miles.

Does anyone have any experience with the Electronic brake force distribution? When I hit the brakes you can feel the pulsation in the seats. I don't think its the rotors as I brought it to the dealer last year and the could not find anything wrong.I'm bringing it in today as it is a lot more frequent and sucks. I have 35,652 miles.
EBD uses the same hardware as the ABS, there are some additional sensors and logic in the control unit. In older days, there was a hydraulic proportioning valve that split the amount of brake force going to the front or rear axles. EBD can sense in real-time when a wheel is slipping more than the others and reduce the brake force on that individual wheel. A wheel does not have to lock up completely to trigger EBD, it just needs to be slipping more than the control unit expects to see.

I thought brakes were covered 3yr - 36,000 miles

I contact the dealer, they said the pads are covered, but not resurfacing the rotors ($202.50) which is not covered. If not under warranty they charge $319.95 for the whole job...

So what is a decent price for a brake job? done by a non dealer??? (Goodyear, STS, Firestone, etc)

I believe that the torque vectoring may be a factor since it applies brakes under certain conditions which would explain the wear. Thoughts?

Active Torque Vectoring only involves the front brakes. Even then, it is applied only under conditions of pronounced understeer or "push" ... when the actual turn rate (i.e. the yaw rate) doesn't reasonably track the steering angle input.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

NTB has done excellent brake work on my Genesis and wife's Volvo. Savings was $150-200 on the Volvo using parts they obtained from Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I contact the dealer, they said the pads are covered, but not resurfacing the rotors ($202.50) which is not covered. If not under warranty they charge $319.95 for the whole job...

So what is a decent price for a brake job? done by a non dealer??? (Goodyear, STS, Firestone, etc)

So today my dealer resurfaced the front and rear rotors the pads were champor I was told all at NO CHARGE. So how much longer will it be before the rotors warp again after being turned???? 25,000 miles? So why not new rotors I asked. They said it as within spec.

So today my dealer resurfaced the front and rear rotors the pads were champor I was told all at NO CHARGE. So how much longer will it be before the rotors warp again after being turned???? 25,000 miles? So why not new rotors I asked. They said it as within spec.
Rotors have a minimum thickness spec, so you won't be under that spec with so few miles. No surprises.

Just so you know, new rotors are pretty inexpensive aftermarket. Centric premium all around on my car cost a little over $100 at the time. Not much more expensive than turning them and easier to just replace when the time came.

Rotors seldom actually warp, that's a misnomer. What usually happens is brake pad material leaves deposits on the rotors that builds up over time and can make the surface uneven. The resurface will just get rid of all the deposits and refresh the surface. Some rotors are poorly made and have softer spots in the metal. This leads to waviness in the surface after the surface has been worn down some. That would be unusual for OEM rotors.

$319.95 sounds right if they are replacing the rotors, pads and the hardware. Brake jobs usually pay 1-1.5 hours per axle so we'll say $150 labor, $60 pads, $100 2 rotors, $9.95 hardware kit.

They are resurfacing the rotors at that price :(

Pads are .. but since you have to have rotors surfaced, they charge for that.

They resurfaced mine yesterday and they did NOT charge me anything, pads were ok: Everything they did was no charge, even the wiper refills and inspection sticker. ALL FREE!!!!!!!! It's your dealer.

Archived