LegacyGT.com

OEM spoiler install, sans drill?

Hey folks, I want to install an OEM spoiler (replica) but do not want to drill the holes per factory install procedure. I'd prefer to use lots o 3M tape to secure it, but I don't have any idea of what the underside of the spoiler looks like to make that determination. Can anyone provide some guidance on this? Thanks!

Since you're specifically talking about a replica and not actually OEM, I'm not sure that info on the OEM piece would be of any use to you.

I would contact the seller of the replica and ask for pictures of the mating surface.

Yeaa I'm trying that route.. been having a difficult time but I'll keep at it. If anyone has installed a replica w/o drilling please chime in!

I was thinking that since these are flush type, there wouldn't be as much force trying to rip it off.

3m tape is not the answer for any oem sized spoiler, drill or go with the lip spoiler, although that has fallen from a few cars as well. There is always the option of buying a trunk with a spoiler already mounted, win win.

You could see if someone wants to swap trunks with you too.

Honestly, I know it is a bit unnerving to take a drill to your car but... measure 3 times, drill once... it works. I take a drill to all my new cars for this very reason. Put masking tape down, mark holes on it, drill through it (helps get a bite), start with a very small drill bit.

Thanks for the responses, everybody. I was initially hoping that if it was enough surface area contact, high strength tape could provide a few hundred pounds of grip. But if no contact no grip.

I'm perfectly comfortable drilling into the car, but what I wanted to avoid was any possible introduction of rust points on the metal work. The OEM design of the trunk already seems to promote rust as it is. I'm trying to think 10 years and another 100,000+ miles down the road.

I'll decide if I want to pursue a trunk swap post in classifieds, but I think I am going to get a lip spoiler. Thanks again, folks.

Thanks for the responses, everybody. I was initially hoping that if it was enough surface area contact, high strength tape could provide a few hundred pounds of grip. But if no contact no grip.

I'm perfectly comfortable drilling into the car, but what I wanted to avoid was any possible introduction of rust points on the metal work. The OEM design of the trunk already seems to promote rust as it is. I'm trying to think 10 years and another 100,000+ miles down the road.

I'll decide if I want to pursue a trunk swap post in classifieds, but I think I am going to get a lip spoiler. Thanks again, folks.

Sorry but instead of worrying about rust you need to worry about that thing coming off on the highway and causing an accident.

Archived