LegacyGT.com

2002 Legacy Head Gasket + Coolant Additive

I've had a 2002 legacy wagon running great, with a small, steady head gasket leak. From about 150k miles to 200k, there's been no change in the leak: I add 1–2 qts of oil between changes (every 3-4k) and top off a cup or so of coolant in the same period.

To my knowledge, there's no Subaru coolant additive in the vehicle.

Curious if folks know:

1. Is this leak likely to keep holding or is it prone to suddenly getting really bad?
  2. Would anyone pay the ~$2k to replace the head gaskets on this age of car? Rest of the vehicle is great other than front struts which need replacing (and lots of rust at rear driver wheel well)
  3. Can I just add the coolant additive the next time I top up coolant (i.e. add a cup of the additive rather than a cup of coolant?) Does Subaru coolant contain the additive? I understand it does not. I've been using generic / prestone.
  4. Anything else worth doing in this situation to prolong life? T-belt (w/ all seals, pumps, t-stat all done at 150k miles).

thanks!

Dave

EDIT: more like 1qt of oil between changes, it can go up to 2 or 3qts if I'm doing lots of driving over mountain passes with heavy loads, or driving 500+ miles in a stretch, but about 1qt oil loss w/ regular driving between oil changes.

Leaks only get worse. Coolant additive won't fix you oil problem. Is it leaking oil or burning it? If it is burning it then I wouldn't regasket the engine.

Rent the Block Leak Tester from Auto zone. You have to buy the fluid. ebay or amazon. If it's mixing exhaust with the coolant you have little time.

I would not drop 2k on that car. I would just sell it and combine whatever you get from the sale with the 2k and get something else.

The new buyer may enjoy a bit of a project could do the head gaskets at home.

The subaru coolant conditioner stop leak probably won't help but it also probably won't hurt given how cheap it is.

If you've got 200k on the car it's up to you whether to have them done. I used the expensive head gasket sealer and it just prolonged the inevitable. It's a $1200 to $1800 job depending on where you have it done. You can diy and they aren't super difficult to change out, just labor intensive and parts and the right tools. I had mine done because it wad miserable driving becauase it leaked oil and coolant on the exhaust and it smelled bad all the time. Plus it was annoying adding oil and antifreeze.

These guys are right. Cut your losses and sell, which is what I did with my 07 Impreza wagon, or do the job yourself.

The leak will get worse and if you do choose to keep the car and rebuild it, I would start saving for the head gasket job now before the leak gets worse. Once coolant and oil starts mixing it is pretty much non drivable. Don't add too much of the stop leak crap, it'll just make more of a mess when you do the head gaskets.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the consensus is to either sell it to someone (who wants to take on that mechanic project themselves), or else drive it into the ground.

It is definitely a head gasket leak, mechanic I trust has confirmed this twice (and it's an '02 legacy at 200k and hasn't had the head gasket changed, so....). Coolant leak is marginal, maybe a cup between oil changes, a pint in summer.

As far as I've been told, I'm good to keep driving until the coolant really starts mixing/leaking when I'll risk a burnout. Would anyone think it's worth the $900 to replace the (very) worn out front struts? If I can't sell it for a decent price, I thought I might do that (and new plugs), push 'er til 250k or so hopefully and sell it for parts / as a project car.

Has anyone had their head hasket leak go from manageable to terrible real quick, or is it always gradual?

If it is not a total rust bucket, I'd get a set of Monroe QuickStruts for the front and call it good. Not a bad DIY or very little labor if you supply the parts to an indy place for install. They're the only quickstrut brand I've seen any luck with.

for the front struts you could go to a junkyard and take off some used ones for a lot cheaper than brand new

Only if they been replaced. Most of the struts in the junkyard are probably just as bad as his. these cars are pushing 20 years old. KYB sells struts for 55$ on ebay.

I haven't heard of them failing catastrophically on non-turbo cars, but they will eventually start leaking into the combustion chambers and then you have to have it done because you can't drive without the car overheating. If you overheat these engines then the heads or the block is damaged from being warped.

• 2 weeks later...
The headgaskets on my wife's 02' forester have been seeping for the last 30k miles. I added a bottle of the coolant conditioner and it did slow down the leak, some. Sounds like your oil consumption/leak may be the bigger of your 2 problems.

Sounds like your oil consumption/leak may be the bigger of your 2 problems.

Good to know!

From 2 inspections, the leak was said to limited to the head gasket (since I had a new oil pan put in 20 or 25k ago and oil leak was cut in 1/2 or 1/3).

What's "normal" consumption on a legacy that old, with head gasket replacement? A cup or 2 between oil changes seems unconcerning, am I off there?

Thinking I'll get a coolant flush and get the long-life coolant + additive put in there (finally), hopefully should keep 'er good another 20-30k and then either keep er as a farm wagon or sell to someone else for the same use.

Our 2003 Outback (same engine as your 2002 Legacy) developed an external HG leak somewhere in the 140,000 mile range or so. FWIW, I ran the Subaru coolant additive in it from purchase at 63,000 miles.

It would leak/burn .5 to .75 of a quart over a 5000ish mile oil change. I'd top up the coolant once or twice a year, maybe a cup worth each time. Sold it to a friend least year at 167,000ish and it's still going along at 175,000+ now.

Sold it to a friend least year at 167,000ish and it's still going along at 175,000+ now.

great! Can't remember if I mentioned above.. currently going on 321km (200k miles) so I guess I'm already in bonus land :lol:

Main thing is whether it's worth the $500 (or $1,000 at the shop) to put new front struts on the thing and keep it as a utility wagon up to 250k miles... hmm!

Archived