LegacyGT.com

2008 Spec B, part out? sell whole? Need some guidance

Hi Everyone,

So, I'm going to try and summarize my situation as quickly as possible with the intent of getting some feedback on what to do moving forward.

Did a rare car to car trade swap on here roughly 10 years ago or so and landed my 2008 Spec B. Drove and loved it for roughly 6 to 7 years and unfortunately got into somewhat significant accident in it 3 years ago. It was a low speed accident BUT... it was into the rear of a big ass suburban and the rear bumper of it went over the crash bar, through the rad support and pushed the rad into the engine. Car died after 45 seconds or so because all the accessory belts were severed. Had car towed back to my house which was literally 4 minutes away.

At the time did not have time/money to get it fixed quickly so went that weekend to lease a cheap care for a few years and give me time to figure the Spec B out.

So here we are. 3 years later, car is still sitting in my driveway, untouched. Part of me wants to spend a couple K getting it back to tip top shape... the other part of me knows I likely dont have the time to do so.

What would be the best course of action here? Should I try and sell off the car as-is, to someone local? Or does it make sense to try and part it out (knowing that it could take me years). How much could I even expect to get for a non-running Spec B (with a rebuilt title from the past). It seems this forum has DEFINITELY dried up, like there is significantly less traffic here than 7-8 years ago when I was active. What does a long block off a spec B even go for anymore? I do have some other performance stuff on car I could part out as well.

Thanks for any guidance you guys / gals give out... I miss this place!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by mmmmspecb

It is one of some 653 made. If the engine is ok and just needs external and body parts...if you enjoy driving the car...keep it and fix it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2007-2009-spec-b-production-numbers-259183.html

Got any pictures ?

http://www.car-part.com for junkyard body parts...https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea, should be mostly superficial stuff. New hood, headlights, front bumper, upper rad support/rad... some accessory belts, then paint fit and finish stuff. I'd thought about it but part of me just wants to offload it. I know the market for this is likely to be super tight, I'm just sorta curious what the valuation might be. If I HAVE to, I could always part it out but that is a time consuming affair of course.

I posted similar on a NE subaru Facebook page as a feeler to see if there is a buyer out there interested in something like this.

A lot of times when subarus get hit in the front, as you are describing, it causes the timing to jump and wreck the motor. I wouldn’t bet on the motor being good in your calculations. You will get more money on a Part out than selling the car while. It will be a lot more work though.

Really? It might not sound like it but it was relatively low speed. 10mph at most. I don't even think the guy's car had a lick of damage (interestingly enough it was a off-duty cop lol). It was one of those deals where you see a light turn green, cars start to go... and then the dude in front of me inexplicably had to slam his brakes. I had like leaned over to grab a granola bar or some shit that fell on the floor and... bam. It just so happened to hit the squishy upper rad bar with zero protection from the crash bar. :redface::redface:

if parting out...ill be interested in your 6speed complete swap/rear diff

Im in the same boat with my leggy. sat for almost 1 year knowing my 5 speed is tired. im running on fumes debating on keeping or selling. I always say there are other project cars that we can look forward to but the leggy is super special and sleeper. Thats what makes it sexy!

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

if parting out...ill be interested in your 6speed complete swap/rear diff

Im in the same boat with my leggy. sat for almost 1 year knowing my 5 speed is tired. im running on fumes debating on keeping or selling. I always say there are other project cars that we can look forward to but the leggy is super special and sleeper. Thats what makes it sexy!

You somewhat local? (NJ) I might consider it but would obviously take a buyer who wants to take the whole thing off my hands first lol. I barely have free time as is let alone to part a car out over a period of months (years likely).

is $3k a reasonable price to ask if someone wanted the whole car? or is that lowballing myself? Here are more details:

2008 Spec B - DGM

approximately 125,000 miles

Mods:

Tien Htech lowering springs

Imfamous Stage 2 open source tune

VBG-1 - vent boost gauge

Tactrix

PLX Wideband Controller w/ A/F sensor

CNT Catted and ceramic coated downpipe

Grimmspeed 3-port boost solenoid

Grimmspeed Turbo heatshield

About 4 years ago had AZP installs do my 90k service, including replacing my clutch with a new STI clutch and the Koyo Rad (RIP).

Entire A/C system was replaced by a subaru dealership about 5 years ago.

Im sure I'm forgetting some stuff... Kids and work have turned my brain into mash potatoes the last few years. So much so that my poor car has been chilling for 3 years with no attention paid to it lol.

no...im in las vegas now. had i been in chicago, i would totally drive/fly out. Dont low ball yourself. that 6 speed alone is worth that 3k easily. Time is definitely something i would like more of so i can wrench on my leggy. I was thinking approx 7500 for my car as it is lol. but we both have different issues lol

and @chefo.soriano

no...im in las vegas now. had i been in chicago, i would totally drive/fly out. Dont low ball yourself. that 6 speed alone is worth that 3k easily. Time is definitely something i would like more of so i can wrench on my leggy. I was thinking approx 7500 for my car as it is lol. but we both have different issues lol

Yea just trying to be realistic about it all. Is the trans alone worth $3k or the entire powertrain? I'm getting some interest but I still hesitate to put a number on it.

Transmission/rear diff/rear axles are worth roughly $3k. Basically all the parts needed for a direct swap if someone wanted to swap in the 6 spd on their GT.

As a reference, I bought a SpecB parts car from another forum member for $3.5k this past summer. He kept the motor/turbo/exhaust, facelift front end, misc suspension items I didn't need.

I'll send you the 3k now plus whatever shipping will be. Most dont want to take it apart or wrench on it and sell whole car as is since its labor. I'd greatly appreciate. I think I got 1st dibs? Lol.

I plan on waiting til this winter is done with and see if any more specb trans or 04sti trans pops up, otherwise I'll sell my car and go back to an acura/honda project lol. No need for AWD in the desert anymore.

Let me know and we can work something out. Maybe I'll finally get lucky on a 6 speed swap after all? #crossesfingers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

and @chefo.soriano

Going rate for trans only on ebay is 1600. I just paid $3600 to get the whole drivetrain, axles, and crossmember mounts from a JDM legacy 3.0R spec B. If I had a whole donor car that would have been a lot better. Sell it to someone who wants to do a 6 speed swap and needs the whole drivetrain.

I know some people right now that would want it for that.

• 2 months later...
Are you the new owner? I was just illustrating what this particular car is up against.

I believe he did buy that one as he had also reached out to me about mine and went with the 07. That is an insane price though, so I dont blame him.

Car is still available, now that its not winter anymore I can more aggressively try to get rid of it. I need to see if I can get someone local interested, but we'll see what happens.