LegacyGT.com

The tale of two OBP OBXTs | low vs lifted

KevinEdgar

Been there done that rebuilt my motor completely I did rebuild one of the little knobs that come off on the coil packs with some plastic mender and you can find new coil pack plugs online relatively cheap and they work okay the whole project was a giant complicated bich I wouldn't rebuild the bottom and again I'd buy a bottom in from Subaru

• 4 weeks later...

You have lived the wagon life that I hope to live over the next several years. I somewhat seriously joke about grabbing a second OBXT in GRP to use as the dirt/snow warrior, and to see you embody that with my car is seriously ******* awesome! Both of yours are so sick in their own right, and I especially love how your first one looks on the Volks. Could you give some more insight to that setup? Appx. ride height (hard to tell from most of the angles)? 5x100 +44 or did you use adapters/spacers? Any suspension work beyond the Zeals? Any fender work or rubbing issues? And uh.. tire specs too while we're here I guess.

Damn good work on both of those rides.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Carbon, both of your cars look awesome! Thank you for sharing your detailed build on both your cars. I hope to modify my "one" to the level as yours. Your attention to detail is beyond OCD and I luv it!!! All your choices of wheels match the car so well.

I am a newbie to the XT only having mine for 2 weeks. Is the JDM headlights a direct bolt on and PnP for the USDM? And is the only other feature leveling and the clear turns? Like how you red out the amber in the factory tails, looks like it should have came like that from the factory. The side mirrors look like it has a blue anti-glare tint on it, does it in fact?

Love the look, simple, so clean and effective. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Spoolin06XT

The JDM lights do bolt in . they need to be disassembled and have the projectors switched because their right hand drive and they need to be rewired the lighting setup is a little different

I have a set standing by from a guy that has an import business but you can find them on eBay for a couple hundred dollars I'm letting the importer do the switching work of the projectors and the rewiring it's completely doable but there's a learning curve that I'm not that excited about

Been there done that rebuilt my motor completely I did rebuild one of the little knobs that come off on the coil packs with some plastic mender and you can find new coil pack plugs online relatively cheap and they work okay the whole project was a giant complicated bich I wouldn't rebuild the bottom and again I'd buy a bottom in from Subaru

Yeah I didn't actually build the bottom end myself so it wasn't so bad as I'm just doing the assembly. But it's my first time so it's pretty overwhelming.

You have lived the wagon life that I hope to live over the next several years. I somewhat seriously joke about grabbing a second OBXT in GRP to use as the dirt/snow warrior, and to see you embody that with my car is seriously ******* awesome! Both of yours are so sick in their own right, and I especially love how your first one looks on the Volks. Could you give some more insight to that setup? Appx. ride height (hard to tell from most of the angles)? 5x100 +44 or did you use adapters/spacers? Any suspension work beyond the Zeals? Any fender work or rubbing issues? And uh.. tire specs too while we're here I guess.

Damn good work on both of those rides.

I really appreciate the kind words! People think I am crazy when I tell them I own two identical but different purpose subarus. And they are right, I am crazy but I love it.

As for the specs on the volks, I forget the exact ride height and I am away from the car now but I think it was like 12.5" from top of arch to center hub. That's purely from memory but I removed one front collar on the Zeal coilovers to even out the height. I still think at some point I will get some Fortune Auto coilovers. The wheel specs are 18x9 +45 with a 20mm spacer. I really did NOT want to run spacers BUT the high offset cause the wheels to rub against the coilover without even putting the car on the ground. I haven't done any other suspension work yet although I do want whiteline links and swaybars and new bushings all around. With the volks on 255/35 Federal RSRR I did have a lot of rubbing and so far I have flattened the rear fender lips but haven't got around to rolling/pulling them yet.

Again, thank you for reading and please stay tuned :)

I agree with Carbon, both of your cars look awesome! Thank you for sharing your detailed build on both your cars. I hope to modify my "one" to the level as yours. Your attention to detail is beyond OCD and I luv it!!! All your choices of wheels match the car so well.

I am a newbie to the XT only having mine for 2 weeks. Is the JDM headlights a direct bolt on and PnP for the USDM? And is the only other feature leveling and the clear turns? Like how you red out the amber in the factory tails, looks like it should have came like that from the factory. The side mirrors look like it has a blue anti-glare tint on it, does it in fact?

Love the look, simple, so clean and effective. Thanks for sharing.

Hello, I'm glad you like the builds! I hope it's not too confusing having two cars in one thread like this. My OCD pings so hard on the lifted outback because there are so many things wrong with it, but I try to remind myself that it's just a beater car.

The JDM lights are not 100% pnp but there are some threads on here that show the install process. Besides the leveling and clear turns there is also a running light but mine is not hooked up. The red tail light tint I got from Lamin-x, I love how clean it made the rear look. The JDM mirrors that I bought do have blue glass, I'm not sure if it's anti glare though. I have yet to install those.

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread, please stay tuned for future updates, thank you!

Yeah I didn't actually build the bottom end myself so it wasn't so bad as I'm just doing the assembly. But it's my first time so it's pretty overwhelming.

I really appreciate the kind words! People think I am crazy when I tell them I own two identical but different purpose subarus. And they are right, I am crazy but I love it.

As for the specs on the volks, I forget the exact ride height and I am away from the car now but I think it was like 12.5" from top of arch to center hub. That's purely from memory but I removed one front collar on the Zeal coilovers to even out the height. I still think at some point I will get some Fortune Auto coilovers. The wheel specs are 18x9 +45 with a 20mm spacer. I really did NOT want to run spacers BUT the high offset cause the wheels to rub against the coilover without even putting the car on the ground. I haven't done any other suspension work yet although I do want whiteline links and swaybars and new bushings all around. With the volks on 255/35 Federal RSRR I did have a lot of rubbing and so far I have flattened the rear fender lips but haven't got around to rolling/pulling them yet.

Again, thank you for reading and please stay tuned :)

Hello, I'm glad you like the builds! I hope it's not too confusing having two cars in one thread like this. My OCD pings so hard on the lifted outback because there are so many things wrong with it, but I try to remind myself that it's just a beater car.

The JDM lights are not 100% pnp but there are some threads on here that show the install process. Besides the leveling and clear turns there is also a running light but mine is not hooked up. The red tail light tint I got from Lamin-x, I love how clean it made the rear look. The JDM mirrors that I bought do have blue glass, I'm not sure if it's anti glare though. I have yet to install those.

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread, please stay tuned for future updates, thank you!

Luv the thread bro. You work is great and inspiring. Now you have me looking at STI wheels...lol. I think the mirrors are anti-glare, I had a pair of them on my crotch-rocket and they work great! That clean look with the red tails and the black car was a nice combo. If your importer wants to do another set of headlights with switch and wiring, Im game ;) Subbed and tuned!

Just curious... What Coil Packs did you buy? I just order OEM. I don't need any hi performance packs but there was not a lot of feedback I could find on brands. I paid $150 for packs and plugs. Cheers!

Just curious... What Coil Packs did you buy? I just order OEM. I don't need any hi performance packs but there was not a lot of feedback I could find on brands. I paid $150 for packs and plugs. Cheers!

I haven't ordered them yet, but I will order them via subaru where they are about $85 a piece. Where did you find the deal you got? Brand new oem?

• 4 months later...
I'm still here! Just still overseas and saving a lot of money. My wishlist on rallysportdirect and iagperformance is pretty stacked but I want to have a meeting with my tuner again before I buy anything.

Digging both cars dude, great job. I keep going back and forth whether to raise or lower my current Outback.

Thanks for checking out the thread and I'm glad you like the cars. They are both fun in different ways!

I loved having my lowered one but I didn't like that I cut its capabilities which led me to build the "off road" one.

I also have what I believe is the hot tip replacement for that tiny stock oil filter. it is a wixs 51287 out of a 944 Porsche. it is only slightly larger diameter but its much longer and has a 29 psi bypass. might not be suitable for your lowered car .it works beautiful on my stock height car

added to the ideaweb thread

• 5 weeks later...

Well I'm finally back in the states and after getting my house cleaned up I made it back into the garage. It's super small but it's progress. New oem coilpacks

50077499398_06954f6e01_b.jpg

50077499243_648ed64339_b.jpg

I think next I'll buy my oil pan setup. I saved a bunch of money while deployed and I want to buy parts for my other cars and motorcycle but I gotta keep myself focused on the subaru. It has had no engine for over a year now!

Edited by KevinEdgar

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly but surely, hopefully I can pick up the pace now that my house is all taken care of for now.

Ordered and installed IAG oil baffle and pickup. It's a new item and seems decent so why not. I must say, I was pretty annoyed that I had to elongate one of the baffle holes because it wasn't lining up. I don't like to modify new parts...

50139627786_a29d9d347c_b.jpg

50139863892_9b099ce52f_b.jpg

50139627156_d0dc5f0260_b.jpg

Thinking I might put the oil pan on in the morning.

Edited by KevinEdgar

Got a bit behind on the updates but I did put the oil pan on the following morning, also my little brother suggested we paint the headers.

50145221488_b80e70c473_b.jpg

50146003167_36977f5008_b.jpg

50146002877_fbf23f1c1a_b.jpg

50146002512_6c7ab1cda6_b.jpg

50146002152_57e7589a39_b.jpg

50146001847_439534a62a_b.jpg

50145219498_3409ab5227_b.jpg

50146001322_2f0cd22f92_b.jpg

50145760121_ff4beec55c_b.jpg

It's so weird to see something on the bottom of the engine finally.

This is my new favorite thread. Your living the dream for quite a few ppl including myself.

Thank you so much!

I have a few more goodies to pick up from one dealership and then new plumbing and hardware for the water pump coming in next week. Now that I'm finally home I can't keep my hands or wallet off this thing

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a few things from Rallysportdirect the other day:

- company 23 avcs cam tool

- company 23 exhaust cam tool

- company 23 crankshaft tool

- gates timing belt kit

- 11mm oil pump & seal

- cobb turbo inlet

Today everything but the backordered inlet came in, and I happened to get off work early so despite the 106F temps I was still in the garage. I also got a new lens (sigma 30mm f/1.4) so my pics might look a little different.

Everything unboxed and looking great.

50228075661_4fce327ed6_b.jpg

The company 23 tools have a really nice build quality, I borrowed them from a friend when I took the engine apart but i figured I would buy my own set during the assembly.

50228295827_497c727ce6_b.jpg

STi 11mm oil pump. I thought I ordered the crankshaft seal but I ordered the o ring that goes behind the oil pump. Good thing I accidentally bought that cause I needed it for the install.

50228075336_e53886d904_b.jpg

The gates timing belt kit, kinda bummed I didn't get to install it tonight, the upper pulley bracket insulation is falling off so I wanna order a new piece before putting the bracket back on. Annnd I need the crank seal.

50227432993_501d046c6d_b.jpg

It's kinda tricky using these tools alone cause they don't hold on that well while you are trying to control a torque wrench.

50227432843_000b4ca36f_b.jpg

Oil pump installed

50227432623_5bdc58550e_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I tried installing the timing belt kit, then when it came time to putting the belt on I realized I do NEED the company 23 cam lock tool. I ordered it but it doesn't come until monday, maybe I'll disassemble my brembos this weekend since I can't really work on the engine. I also ordered a new gasket for the center timing cover but didn't realize I needed gaskets for the bottom too. I'm scared to total up this engine build but I think I'm at 7k at this point and it's not even done.