LegacyGT.com

Stock suspension too soft

lakestreet

So I got a GT about two months ago, and the suspension is so incredibly soft, felt like a Cadillac of the 90s or something. When you're in boost the back squats a bunch. Is this just cause my shocks are dead or was it this way from the factory? I figure cause they were trying to position themselves as a luxury model?

So now debating between Tein Basics and Koni Yellows, leaning towards the latter.

Thanks White tiger. Don't want that. Yeah the adjustability of the Koni's sound good to me.

Note - they are adjustable - but it's not something you would do regularly - it requires a little work - but they do make a pretty incredible difference:):wub:

Ohh and bigger Sway Bars also make a big difference as well:p:)

The KYB's (likely originals) I had on when I got my legacy definitely weren't shot but I felt they were likely a bit too old and making the car not feel the way it should.

Put koni's on it and it feels right now. Like a sports sedan. Best decision.

The KYB's (likely originals) I had on when I got my legacy definitely weren't shot but I felt they were likely a bit too old and making the car not feel the way it should.

Put koni's on it and it feels right now. Like a sports sedan. Best decision.

Konis firm things up nicely, especially in the rear. And with 100k miles on them, still working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey looking around for what to get and made my own post to hopefully get some info https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-help-05-lgt-wagon-suspension-276457.html?p=5847182#post5847182

Can anyone here supply links or parts numbers for the koni struts and a set of springs? Prefer stock ride hight but don't Mind being slightly lowered, comfort over performance.

i hate konis....... don't get me wrong, they are good quality, but I don't understand their insert nonsense.... it drives me crazy..... there shouldn't be any fabrication involved when installing a strut... they should offer something easier to install and just charge more......other than that it's an amazing product,

The warranty is kinda shitty for inserts because you have to remove them before sending them to get serviced, and after you install the insert and put it through some serious environments and roads plus driving it several years, those inserts are going to be pretty embedded in the sleeves... I was able to get one out of 2 removed, then I gave up on koni inserts....

yes, koni has been doing that forever. It keeps the cost down so they dont have to have a bunch of different shock bodies engineered for all the cars they offer them for. So you get affordable quality performance shocks but you have to deal with the insert installation hassles.

I don't know what eyear the OP's Legacy was but mine was a 05 LGT. At take off or under braking the nose rose skyward or done into the ground ridiculously. I fixed that with Swift springs, but they made the ride pretty bad. There were no Konis for the car back then, but the springs and shocks were waaaaay too soft for the car's performance.

Do what whitetiger said. Konis, and definitely not Teins And not Swifts. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Can someone identify actual spring rates on the various options so there is a quantitative way to rank the various spring packages out there? For example, factory rates on a regular base wagon are probably in the 150-175 in lb range...and I am guessing that a good ride compromise would be in the 250-275 range. Any thoughts?

I don't know what eyear the OP's Legacy was but mine was a 05 LGT. At take off or under braking the nose rose skyward or done into the ground ridiculously. I fixed that with Swift springs, but they made the ride pretty bad. There were no Konis for the car back then, but the springs and shocks were waaaaay too soft for the car's performance.

Do what whitetiger said. Konis, and definitely not Teins And not Swifts. :lol:

konis insert,oem spring,and a good alignment is the ticket for a better than oem set up.

i hate konis....... don't get me wrong, they are good quality, but I don't understand their insert nonsense.... it drives me crazy..... there shouldn't be any fabrication involved when installing a strut... they should offer something easier to install and just charge more......other than that it's an amazing product,

The warranty is kinda shitty for inserts because you have to remove them before sending them to get serviced, and after you install the insert and put it through some serious environments and roads plus driving it several years, those inserts are going to be pretty embedded in the sleeves... I was able to get one out of 2 removed, then I gave up on koni inserts....

Probably not worth it for this platform. They offer complete front struts for the 08+ WRXs. Also learned something nice regarding their warranty process recently when one of my WRX struts sprung a leak - they'll send you a replacement before you return the defective unit with a deposit, and then refund it once you send in the bad strut.

Archived