LegacyGT.com

Ready to hit the big 100000k.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Ok here it goes, I drive a 2007 legacy 2.5i non turbo. My mileage is at 98500. I have kept up on oil changes, but I skipped the 90000 maintenance due to low funds from replacing the head gaskets. Now I have some funds, but I want to combine the 90000 and the 105000 mile maintenance. My local dealer quoted me at around $800 for the two. Now that doesn't include the timing belt and components, which was quoted at another $1100.

My question is: which should I do myself? For I do not have money for both. I know how to turn a wrench, but I am certainly no mechanic. Changing fluids seems prerty straight forward. I think I could handle the timing, considering I did one in a Honda (I know this is a different beast). I'm just not sure which job would be a better project me:confused:

Thank you, and any input is helpful.

I'm not a mechanic as well, but Knowledge is more powerful than any mechanics out there, especially with the help of this forum everything will be fine. I see that doing the timing belt is more easier than Honda which you have to check it out. I'm going on this route soon as I'm just waiting to warm-up outside to start tearing out the parts. Good Luck!

Why do you need to replace the Head Gasket?

Timing belt is fun, not too hard. You'll need a cam lock tool. I highly recommend the following, some others will say don't bother.

- 1/2" torque wrench

- 3/8" torque wrench

- Company 23 crank pulley wrench

Get the Aisin kit, NOT the Gates. Don't replace the water pump, they never fail.

Why do you need to replace the Head Gasket?

I bought the car out of state, two days later the cel came on, and when I went to get it inspected in Maryland, they told me that the cel was from the header, and the heads were leaking onto components and it wouldn't pass.

I spent the next 2 months fighting with the place I bought it from trying to get it to pass inspection. After about 10 trips, I finally found my warranty information and got it fixed under warranty, I only had 22 miles left on my 3000 mile warranty, so I had it towed to my local dealer for the work.

Everything worked out and i absolutely love my car.

Get the Aisin kit, NOT the Gates. Don't replace the water pump, they never fail.

Thanks for the insight.

What exactly is wrong with the gates? They get all the praise on the interwebs.

Would it be worth it for lightweight pulleys?

I would recommend three things:

1. Definitely have the timing belt done. It's pricey but it's an important one.
  2. Find another shop around that might be good with imports or Subarus but not charge as much as the dealer. If you post your approximate location, or add it into your profile avatar thing on the forum, maybe someone else lives near you and knows of some good resources.
  3. Have the shop you go to do an inspection (in the future you should do this before you buy the car, I also learned this lesson the hard way). This will give you an approximate (but good) idea of what all needs to be done on the car in the future. In a car purchasing scenario this is where you talk them down.

It's a non turbo and the big worry with those is head gaskets so you're probably in good shape. Maybe look into doing the plugs at some point.

How long ago were the headgaskets replaced and how come the t-belt was not replaced when the motor was apart? Replace the water pump while you are in there, it's silly not to. Definitely get the Aisin kit for quality parts. Gates has had a lot of issues with quality so don't risk it.

If water pump fails, you are right back in the TB service again pretty much(and more money if you decided to have a shop do the TB for you). It's 1 less thing to have to change after you thought you was done for a little while. It's like right there when you do the TB swap and at those miles why not?

Your car and your funds, your choice.

How long ago were the headgaskets replaced

The gaskets got replaced in June of last year. I'm not too sure why the subaru dealer did not do the belt, it must have looked good to them, or it was not in the work order.

The gaskets got replaced in June of last year. I'm not too sure why the subaru dealer did not do the belt, it must have looked good to them, or it was not in the work order.

A lot of dealerships are very focused on what's in front of them - the symptom, etc. According to them you're supposed to go right back in and pay them to take the car apart again. They are not likely to advocate for you.

It's a good idea to try some independent shops who know what they're doing. In a situation like that they would recommend you do the timing belt at the same time.

The dealership cost you more money by not telling you that it was due for that service. :/

A lot of dealerships are very focused on what's in front of them - the symptom, etc. According to them you're supposed to go right back in and pay them to take the car apart again. They are not likely to advocate for you.

It's a good idea to try some independent shops who know what they're doing. In a situation like that they would recommend you do the timing belt at the same time.

The dealership cost you more money by not telling you that it was due for that service. :/

Pretty much, I was in #YNANSB mode and they was like "nah you just need spark plugs". Like a idiot I was like these guys get paid to wrench on these cars I'll do this process and hopefully i'm good. They pulled the car around and I swear it was even worse like it was the fix. Like it was barely cranking the 1st time around or stall when you went to (D) and had no power. They was like it was fine to drive but if you want we can tear it down for like 1500 and tell you what we find. Months later I just went to parts and spent $1800 on a 257 block and never really went back.

Archived