LegacyGT.com

09 Lifted Spec B. Details

Hi all,

Here it is my lifted 2009 Legacy Gt spec B. Please read the thread before asking questions. :)

IMG_0145.JPG.2e8325f8560b8c7c58975a20a622d3fd.JPG

Front Suspension:

Stock Bilstein strut

Rallitek raised springs (higher spring rate)

Whiteline camber adjustable upper strut mount

Pros: Stiffer ride better handling and more clearance.

Cons: The spec B. spring seats are a different height than the stock Legacy GT spring seats. So these springs aren't really designed for the struts which is why I ended up with about 3" lift up front. Also the Whiteline upper strut mounts weren't a direct fit either. I had to put a spacer washer on top of the strut post to prevent the bearing from binding when everything was tightened down. When I hit a large bump and the suspension compresses it has the capability of rebounding so hard the strut extends fully and hits the stop.... BANG. It sounds horrible, but happens rather infrequently, and hasn't caused any leaks yet.

Rear suspension:

Stock Bilstein strut

Rallitek raised springs (higher spring rate)

New stock upper mounts

Two 1/2" spacers stacked between the strut mount and the chassis

Pros: Significantly less over steer than stock and no more saggy butt. The rears fit much better than the fronts. I'm not aware of any differences in the spring seats on these struts. Because of this I don't have the problem where the strut tops out on the rebound.

Cons: The rear control arm touches my exhaust because it extends so far down, but camber isn't really an issue.

Please note: I bought this car to drive and enjoy. It's not a garage queen it's a tool.. and I use it.

Wheels:

IMAG0381.thumb.jpg.c21d2cb6c9cb3460cfb6d52285c7a142.jpg

Summer:

Powder coated stock spec B. alloys dark bronze metallic

Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/50/18 ET 35

20mm spacers front and rear

Not rolled or pulled, yes they rub in the front when I turn the wheel more that 180 degrees and when they dip into the fender in the rear they rub.

20180210_114724.thumb.jpg.dd67e4f03d468dc8502f818b3c288451.jpg

Winter:

Bronze Method Rally Wheels

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 215/50/17 ET 35

No rubbing.

By now you're probably wondering what I tow..

Towing:

All suspension modifications started with starting a small lawn mowing service to kill some time and get that side hustle.

Things I've towed:

Max weight ~2500 lbs (not often or with pleasure)

5x10 wood deck Tractor Supply trailer ~1000lbs as equipped

Jetski

Snowmobile

Dirtbike

20160317_181915.thumb.jpg.f8484d136a7399d83e210a215696b9fe.jpg

Now I realize its not a truck, so I bought a TDI Jetta... which is much more of a truck and my daily beater / tow rig.

20170602_175417.thumb.jpg.c2fdcb34d704e35558371443a7b01d0c.jpg

Other mods:

FMS catback

Megan 3" Catless DP

Open source

That's all for now.. thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my thread.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on anything.. I'm just a dummy with a wrench. Cheers!!

Love it!

The one thing I worried I would miss from my first gen was ground clearance. Didn't have to lift it at all for an oil change, worked under it in a parking lot and never had to worry about snowbanks or driveways. I only ever beached it once when I was having some fun in deep snow and well the snow was much higher then the ground clearance. And only really got stuck because I had to slow down, a bit of digging and some rocking and drove right out. Really enjoyed snowy days and unplowed parking lots. We'll see if I stick with stock ride height or not. Unfortunately there is a lot less reason for the higher ride height in the summer.

Anywhere there is a good amount of snow, all wheel drive and decent ground height is a great way to feel nothing will give you any trouble.

Edited by nevets27

Not too often you see something like this! Any interest in RallyX?

Yes and no.. I've participated in a few winter road rallys and I've done some ice time trials. I feel like those types of driving aren't so harsh on the car like RallyX. There is an Ice time trial Gymkhana style event this weekend I'm entering... so that's probably as close as I will get with this car.

Love it!

We'll see if I stick with stock ride height or not. Unfortunately there is a lot less reason for the higher ride height in the summer.

You find ways to enjoy it in the summer. I really enjoy the setup, but I would also like the flexibility of lowering the car for a track day. I think it's safe to say there will be some future development here.

From Vermont as well, I just recently picked up a 2005 Legacy GT sedan 5sp Manual in good condition.

I was looking for something cheap I can finish learning Manual on and then down the road possible convert it into a Rally car, but I found this accidentally shopping and just had to get it and to be honest it's way too nice and good condition to turn into a novice Rally car.

But back on topic, I was curious about doing something like this, for clearance during the winter time. I still have my normal boring Automatic 2015 Impreza hatch, so maybe I'll leave this a fun Summer vehicle.

Edited by TrashyMG
typo

Does it provide much flex/articulation? Seems it might be too stiff for a lot.

Plenty. Stock was way too soft for my liking. Being taller and wider it puts more force on the springs when you send it into a corner. There's more of a moment acting on them, so they go through their travel. Driving into a corner really hard I can make the front tire touch the fender. Still need to get a video of this.

• 1 year later...
It's your car and I'm glad you're enjoying it, but I always get confused when people lift a Legacy or lower an Outback. If you want a higher ride height, why not just buy an Outback sedan? Basically an identical car and it already comes with extra ground clearance. Or same thing when people lower an Outback, they already make the Legacy for that. Kind of a waste of a Spec B IMO. Not trying to hate on your car or anything, like I said I'm glad you enjoy it and I can appreciate that a lot of work went into this, I just don't get it...

It's your car and I'm glad you're enjoying it, but I always get confused when people lift a Legacy or lower an Outback. If you want a higher ride height, why not just buy an Outback sedan? Basically an identical car and it already comes with extra ground clearance. Or same thing when people lower an Outback, they already make the Legacy for that. Kind of a waste of a Spec B IMO. Not trying to hate on your car or anything, like I said I'm glad you enjoy it and I can appreciate that a lot of work went into this, I just don't get it...
Well they don't make an outback with a 6mt. And from what I'm aware the stock suspension on an outback it pretty spoft and pretty crap so the the work here gets a better end result. I'm pretty sure the Outback sedans are pretty rare so might not be easy to find one. And they also have completely different styling. I get where you're coming from and yeah buying a Outback would be a quick and easy way for more ground clearance but this is a much better end result.

How the car treating you 09specb_vt?

Well they don't make an outback with a 6mt. And from what I'm aware the stock suspension on an outback it pretty spoft and pretty crap so the the work here gets a better end result. I'm pretty sure the Outback sedans are pretty rare so might not be easy to find one. And they also have completely different styling. I get where you're coming from and yeah buying a Outback would be a quick and easy way for more ground clearance but this is a much better end result.

How the car treating you 09specb_vt?

Idk about in ontario but there's a lot of legacy sedans around here. Also, the "totally different styling" is the exact same car with slightly different bumpers and door cladding which is designed to look better with a taller car and not leave it so naked looking while so high off the ground. The 6mt swap is probably a much easier swap then completely lifting the car. And the handling benefits of a spec B probably go out the window when you lift the car, I highly doubt it's using the same struts or control arms, and if it is the different geometry changes things, at the very least the higher center of gravity would make it handle worse. If it really was still all stiff and tight handling like a spec B then it will have trouble going off road so it kind of defeats the purpose besided maybe avoiding some rocks in your dirt driveway.

I'm really not trying to hate on the car, I'm happy he's happy, it just doesn't make sense. I would LOVE a spec B, but if I wanted a tall offroad car I would just buy a car that looks identical but was just already designed for it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posted to spec b club fb group in yet another lift my B post :p

Awesome work!

Great feedback.

Btw 2-4” complete lift kits are available from subieliftoz and can be installed in a day on either stock springs or lifted springs: camber, caster and wheel centre corrected :)

Great value too!