LegacyGT.com

Accessport Screen Flicker During WOT

elgin.owens

I asked Cobb what they did to fix my AP, the following was their response...

"To be totally honest, I don't think there is anything wrong with the Accessport. The issue is likely somewhere in the wiring in the car or the OBD2 cable for the AP. I reprogrammed the AP to be like new and transferred all your data back on to it, and I am also sending it out with a new cable. Try it out, and if you're still having the same issues, I'd recommend getting your grounds/wiring around the OBD2 port checked as 9/10 times when experiencing this issue, that's the problem.

As for your friends at lgt.com, I would also recommend the same for them. However, I'm always willing to take a look!"

Let us know what you find out after getting your AP3 back. Now that the ambient temps are back in the 50-60F range where I am, my AP3 has returned to cutting out anytime I'm in boost for more than a couple of seconds. Latest firmware, new OBD cable from Cobb. Don't feel like contorting under the steering wheel to check the wiring around the OBD port :)

• 4 weeks later...

Elgin.Owens:

Just wondering how your AP is doing in regards to the WOT cut out issue after Cobb 'reset' it and returned it to you.

Now that the ambient temps are back to being below 60F my AP has predictably returned to cutting out during almost every WOT pull.

Maybe the flow of data is too much for the cobb to handle. The same applies if there are too many parameters picked. I usually just log with Access tuner cause its easier for me.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

That's what i thought and had read before elsewhere but the problem persists even when just logging a couple of parameters w/only 2 or 3 gauges displayed. Maybe I'll try logging w/ ATR to see if it works more reliably, but it would be nice to be able to just log w/ the AP since it's already in the car & connected.

I've had this issue with my V3 for a long time now. Sent it back for a repair and cobb said nothing was wrong, I basically just have to deal with it now as mine is out of warranty now :( It is basically impossible to log at WOT on the street, however my pro-tuner had no issues with it on the dyno.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Ugh. Well at least that seems to indicate it may not be a grounding issue at the OBD port. When I had the original protune there were also no issues w/ logging, but the tuner was logging through ATR on a laptop.

Ugh. Well at least that seems to indicate it may not be a grounding issue at the OBD port. When I had the original protune there were also no issues w/ logging, but the tuner was logging through ATR on a laptop.

I highly doubt its a grounding issue. If that's the case it would happen all the time an even with a Bluetooth obd tool or such. The cobb is a good tool but like how others have said, it was poorly designed.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I haven't re-married my AP since it came back from Cobb. I have noticed that just driving around with it hooked up and displaying the instructions/welcome screen it does not flicker at all. I will try to get it married again and tested out sometime this week. I'm expecting that nothing has been fixed, but we'll see...

Success! Well at least I think that Cobb has managed to fix the issue with my Accessport! I haven't had any issue with the screen flicker have had it installed for 6 days now, been pushing it hard too, going WOT at every opportunity possible! The only thing that has changed, besides the reset or whatever that Cobb did, was that I installed the latest firmware update just before I re-installed it.

Oh and I also changed my spark plugs. When I took out the old plugs I realized that I've had the SOHC/NA spark plugs installed in my DOHC/Turbo LGT for over a year now! Needless to say it's running much better now that I've got the new/correct plugs installed!

Good to hear! I'll have to ping Cobb to see if the reset they performed on yours is the same as restoring to default settings via the AP's menu. You mentioned that you hadn't remarried it after it came back from Cobb. When you sent your AP to Cobb, you had to unmarry it? I won't be able to do that too easily.

I did not un-marry my accessport before shipping it off to Cobb. I simply pulled it from my vehicle, performed a backup of all my custom maps (just in case), then boxed it up and shipped it off to Cobb. Cobb told me that they did a backup of all my maps and then did the reset which resulted in it becoming un-married, then when finished they re-loaded all the maps.

Understood. I'll touch base w/ Cobb and see if they might be able to do similar for my AP. It's a little clumsy doing partial pulls from ~2k-4.5k (cuts out) then another pull from ~4k+ just to get the RPM coverage I need.

@elgin.owens: One more question... have you tried running the AP w/ your original OBD cable? I'm getting back in touch w/ Cobb about my AP3 cutout but was curious if your AP3 remains stable w/ the old cable or not (basically trying to see if the cable was the issue, or if the 'reset' that Cobb performed was the fix). Cobb sent me a new cable this past spring but it appears to not have changed the cut out behavior at all in my case.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I finally figured out the accessport issue for the Subaru legacy’s. Been trying to figure it out for almost 2 years. The issue is the spark plugs as weird as it sounds. I was back and forth with my tuner, Cobb, and NGK spark plugs. In the stock ngk Subaru plugs there’s a 5k ohm resister and it causes a noise interference with the accessport at WOT which makes the accessport reboot. You have to get NGK 4212 ILFR6G-E. they have a 10K ohm resistor instead of the 5k ohm. They don’t cause an interference and work better. I’ve been running my car wot and zero issues the past week. They come pre gapped for our cars and everything. You can get them on rock auto or any of those sitesIMG_0337.thumb.jpg.2fbe40941c0b0366cc164c5e051e7e4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Any more experiences on this issue? Is the spark plug model discussed here the way to go? Searches showed discussion about a capacitor placed between two pins on the OBD?

I haven't tried logging for awhile, and just tried after making an air filter change. My Accesport V2 cuts out under any significant boost. My regular mechanic had changed my plugs recently and a coil pack to address some stumbling a few months ago. I imagine he picked the plugs indicated by Subaru OEM and not these new ones suggested here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the other experiences.

I'm in the midst of a E-Tune and after upgrading the Firmware on the Accessport and replacing spark plugs from NGK lfr6aix-11 to NGK silfr6a my Accessport started showing the same problems as mentioned on this posts.

Thanks!

Well Switched to the NGK 4212 ILFR6G-E from the SILFR6a and my Accessport is back to normal after logging my last 4 power pulls on wot with out flickering or logs split in two.

I did not have any problems logging when running on the 6aix-11, installed 6a's plugs an my accessport started flickering, replaced 6a with 6g-e and I'm back to logging without issues. Hmmm...

This is on a 08 Outback XT.