LegacyGT.com

Stupid Downpipe Question

I have a stupid question...

When installing a cobb downpipe should I use some kind of gasket/washer or anything else to seal the unused wideband 02 bung in addition to the included plug? I installed a crush washer with it at time of install since just the threaded plug itself seemed inadequate to seal the exhaust but the excessive "swooooshh" turbine noise leads me to believe there could be a leak... and that would be the most likely culprit imo.

Thanks in advance everyone

I just removed the crush washer before the drive home and most of my issues are now gone. I might be displaying my ignorance but I don't understand how just the steel bolt seals the threaded bung, but clearly the washer was inhibiting the seal.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Air in the exhaust will flow to the direction of the least resistance and there isn’t any pressure being built up in a free flowing exhaust to encourage air to leak out the bolt. It’s not like an oil drain plug where the pressure of the oil in the pan helps the oil seep out. Oil also has a tendency to want to flow out of tight spaces under any pressure since it cannot compress onto itself as a liquid.

Archived