LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

I think I've solved it.

The EU HU (pre face lift) has to be equipped with LAN module, which in case of

USDM stereo was already installed within.

Unfortunately the LAN module used to be installed only on H6 or GT (which was not sold

in Europe).

So, it is possible, but there has to be the module between stereo and steering wheel. Subaru has still got it in their offer but the price is like 220 dollars for actually small

insignificant piece of electronic... Damn.

The other option is to get the face lift stereo (GX-204) which has got the module inside.

That's all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 07 spec b,

My steering wheel is kinda trashed and I would like to replace it.

Is there a mod to add more buttons to the wheel than the 3 buttons it came with on each side in 2007?

maybe the 08 left buttons plus the 07 right buttons?

eventually I plan to get an aftermarket stereo and would love to have more controls.

• 10 months later...

Trying to do this on a 2006 2.5i.

The base Outbacks have a different radio than the other models, and it looks like this mod can't be done.

I plugged in fine to the clock spring and the buttons illuminate with lights on, but the buttons themselves do nothing.

I went to the wrecking yard, and came across a 2006 LL Bean (P-201UE) radio, with MPO3, 6 desc CD player, etc.

The face plate from the base P-201UN will not fit fit the UE, but the base plate is needed for the manual climate control.

To top it off, there are only two connectors near steering column on base model vs three on other models.

I am trying something new, I Frankensteined both radios together, and am going back to the wrecking yard again for some wiring looms.

I will let you know how it turns out.

• 3 months later...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ypT3pBnqUf73dqxB7gzoU4xnALwa9vgL/view?usp=sharing

I made a pdf based on previous members experiences and the fsm. Took time to research pin outs and trace wire pathways from the wheel to the bulkhead

Will you upload the pdf directly? Something about a Google drive link from a new member with 3 posts screams phishing. Thanks.

Will you upload the pdf directly? Something about a Google drive link from a new member with 3 posts screams phishing. Thanks.

It’s a 12 page pdf and growing. I’m not sure it would be beneficial to upload the entire thing on here. I’m also a new member because although I’ve done everything from an engine build to upgrading the interior with paddle shifters and sti audio control, I find forums to be rather clumsy and “early 2000-ish in their format so I haven’t bothered. If you’d like, you can join outback xteam on Facebook and find my same pdf there with no complaints of phishing in any of the comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a 12 page pdf and growing. I’m not sure it would be beneficial to upload the entire thing on here. I’m also a new member because although I’ve done everything from an engine build to upgrading the interior with paddle shifters and sti audio control, I find forums to be rather clumsy and “early 2000-ish in their format so I haven’t bothered. If you’d like, you can join outback xteam on Facebook and find my same pdf there with no complaints of phishing in any of the comments

Thanks for the reply. Just the fact that you replied here is pretty much proof that you're not a bot, haha. I checked out the FB group. Good stuff there.

The pdf you made is great. If anyone has a 5EAT and wants to retain paddle shifters then the guide is really good.

Thanks for the link and I apologize about the phishing piece. Lately the forum has been getting a lot of bots that join and make the same post several times and that's it.

Edited by rhino6303

I get that. I just wanted to get a resource out there with all the pinouts and diagrams. I’m currently in the middle of re-pinning the 2008+ roll connector since I got my hands on the 2008+ b68 connector which mates up to the ST1 off the roll connector.

I get that. I just wanted to get a resource out there with all the pinouts and diagrams. I’m currently in the middle of re-pinning the 2008+ roll connector since I got my hands on the 2008+ b68 connector which mates up to the ST1 off the roll connector.

That's awesome. I saw the roll connector in your pdf through iwire. I have a 5MT and will be doing this and prefer to repin and use oem connectors whenever possible so I can return to stock easily. I'll need to dig through diagrams and see if the roll pin connector change is easier than swapping wires around like these threads.

So sticking with the older roll connector will work as long as you’re just planning on doing audio controls and cruise on the steering wheel. The phone controls throw a kink because you have to sacrifice illumination to run all 3 swc wires through the roll connector.

Paddles fit if you upgrade the roll connector, combo and parking signal switch plate, turn signal switch (2005-2007 turn signal return trigger is too short for the white combo plate behind the roll connector so it doesn’t auto cancel), the column covers, and preferably the kick panel. I also picked up the 2008+ tilt lever so I can hopefully retrofit that and avoid chopping up the lower column.

Doing the 2008+ roll connector means you might have to get to a pull n pay and cut the B68 connector from a 2008+ bulkhead so you can splice it to your own 8-wire harness section just behind your stock B68. I left a few inches of wire when I cut one from a junkyard 2009 leggy so I could solder in-line joints. An easier and equally effective solder method is the solder seal connectors.

• 3 weeks later...

So has anyone successfully used the 08+ roll connector to make the phone buttons work? I'm in the middle of my steering wheel swap right now, and I would like to use all of the buttons that came on my 08 spec B wheel. My car is an 05 LGT MT.

Wondering if I could swap to an 08 roll connector and use the 08 turn signal control as well?

I think thats what youre saying Jharr92?

And if I keep the Si control button maybe i can hook that into my aftermarket stereo steering wheel control interface for one more programed button

Edited by Footie

So has anyone successfully used the 08+ roll connector to make the phone buttons work? I'm in the middle of my steering wheel swap right now, and I would like to use all of the buttons that came on my 08 spec B wheel. My car is an 05 LGT MT.

Wondering if I could swap to an 08 roll connector and use the 08 turn signal control as well?

And if I keep the Si control button maybe i can hook that into my aftermarket stereo steering wheel control interface for one more programed button

I did an 08 swap a long time ago. One issue I did come up with is the cover for the steering wheel back needed to be cut down or modded to fit properly due to the 08's having telescopic options. I had an automatic and basically read every diagram I could find to pin out everything. It was a pain. I cant remember if I used the 08 roll clock but i'm sure i did because the signal stalks had to be changed out too because the 05's got in the way. Again i swapped for paddles so you may not have this issue if your manual

I used the 2008 roll connector and turn signal switch on my 05. But I was bored during quarantine so I also swapped out the 2005 column and dash beam for the 08-09 so I could get a better column covers fit for my paddle shifters. I’m still waiting for my jdm stereo kit to come in from Japan. It’s taking forever due to the pandemic. Everything else works fine now but I can’t get audio control functionality until I get an aftermarket stereo in there to see if I can get the Bluetooth buttons to function. I’d imagine as long as the aswc-1 is fully functional that I should be able to get the Bluetooth buttons to work. And the aswc-1 allows for manual programming so if you don’t have the s-drive function you should be able to program it for something else. If you do have S-drive, I’m not sure what that wiring would look like. I know the paddle shifter wires run in parallel with the shift lever and terminated at some micro switches next to the shifter so maybe the S-drive could be tapped into the center console control in a similar fashion.

I ended up going a different route. Decided to get an 06 spec b steering wheel, and just use the maestro SW kit for my pioneer mvh1400nex (which looks fantastic in the jdm climate control unit I might add). The maestro module allows manual programming for 2 functions per button, so I'm just using the existing buttons for my Bluetooth controls.

• 3 weeks later...
I ended up going a different route. Decided to get an 06 spec b steering wheel, and just use the maestro SW kit for my pioneer mvh1400nex (which looks fantastic in the jdm climate control unit I might add). The maestro module allows manual programming for 2 functions per button, so I'm just using the existing buttons for my Bluetooth controls.

You think you could post a picture? I’ve been looking for a buttonless screen that fits well in the jdm cutout

• 1 month later...

So I got the audio controls for the 2013 STI steering wheel to work on my 2005 outback XT and threw a video on YouTube. It’s recorded on a phone so the video format is kind of weird but if anyone has questions on getting the controls to work with an aftermarket jdm double din kit and aftermarket head unit, just hit me up. The hardest part isn’t really the wiring. It’s retrofitting the dash with column, beam and 2008-2009 legacy or 2008-2014 Impreza clock spring and combo switch. The YouTube channel is JH Subaru mods and repairs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTCNAlCjSsI]Installing Steering Wheel Controls on an Older Model Subaru with Aftermarket Radio - YouTube[/ame]

So I got the audio controls for the 2013 STI steering wheel to work on my 2005 outback XT and threw a video on YouTube. It’s recorded on a phone so the video format is kind of weird but if anyone has questions on getting the controls to work with an aftermarket jdm double din kit and aftermarket head unit, just hit me up. The hardest part isn’t really the wiring. It’s retrofitting the dash with column, beam and 2008-2009 legacy or 2008-2014 Impreza clock spring and combo switch. The YouTube channel is JH Subaru mods and repairs.

Is this you? Excellent content man, I plan on undertaking this down the road. I'm waiting for Kenwood's floating displays to come out.

Edited by Enlight

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Is this you? Excellent content man, I plan on undertaking this down the road. I'm waiting for Kenwood's floating displays to come out.

That’s not me lol. I do follow that guys channel though and I love his subie content. My channel is JH Subaru repairs and mods. The camera work on mine is kind of garbage because I used my cellphone so the video is probably best watched in the phone app. I documented my wiring process and how to match wires just a little more in-depth than rp garage and also transplanted a 2008-2009 bulkhead pigtail from a pull and pay so the steering wheel harnesses behind the airbag would be plug and play into a 2008-2009 legacy clock spring also taken from the pull and pay. I also swapped in a 2008 dash beam and steering column though bc I did a paddle shifter install on my automatic and didn’t want to trim the column covers to get them to fit. That’s definitely not a requirement if you just swap out the clock spring with a 2008 but you will need to cut a pigtail from a junkyard car and solder it into the existing bulkhead wiring that runs to the old clock spring. This is what I’m talking about in the picture. This one is for a similar setup in Denver. You can see that much of the pigtail has been extended to run along the bulkhead and into various existing wires such as illumination, steering wheel control module, and ground. Then the remaining shorter wires are soldered into the existing cruise control and horn wires under the steering column. Steering wheels with resistance-controlled CC, audio controls, horn wire, and phone/BT controls (not to mention possibly a Sport sharp mode) have too many wires for the 8 pins of the 2005 clock spring I believe. 2008-2009 clock spring has 14 pins total and my setup uses 11 of those pins total. I believe the top plug consists of 3cruise wires, 4 audio control wires, and 1 horn wire, and the bottom plug is 3 phone/BT control wires. 26c566bf3f0fd1e32562f2f289d23304.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are wondering what the semi-finished product looks like. Just need to color match the panels. Considering a gloss black or the original color

a21ed2ba4dc1d918ca8878f0abf64ab1.jpg

Edited by Jharr92

• 2 weeks later...

Currently rehabbing an 06 LL Bean steering wheel to replace the wheel in my '06 outback 2 5i limited (automatic).

Car is currently wired for the AT controls at b68. My plan is to pop the AT pin terminals out of the b68 connector, then add new pin terminals to the jumper wires so they'll plug into the connector. That way I wouldn't have to cut any wires, and the connection will be nice and snug. Already popped out the shift + and - wires as a test, and the car still runs.

Measured the pins, and think I found a source for new terminals:

te.com/global-en/product-1743655-1.html

Hoping they get delivered this week so I can test them out.

Update:. The terminals were slightly shorter than stock, but snapped right into the harness, and made a solid connection. After cranking on the vampire taps at the stereo, everything functions great.

No wires cut. We'll see how it fares on the road.

Edited by eagleb

This is a great guide! Does anyone know if this guide applies to the 03-05 JDM cars, too? Mine’s an ‘03 GT with the 5-speed automatic. Edited by Piegigear
I saw that someone posted here about their 2006 JDM legacy, but I just want to be sure that there aren’t any differences with the radios.