LegacyGT.com

JDM Outback Bumper Install

Scooby2.5

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many times I read through this post in the past couple years, telling myself I wouldn't do it, even when I didn't have a BP yet.

Yet here I am, stupidly awaiting my JDM Outback bumper to arrive. Going to hit the junkyards here soon and strip off a sedan rear bumper beam and brackets. Then I gotta redo my exhaust to get rid of these goofy-ass turndowns.

Think you could explain what you had to move over from your stock skin to the new one using a rivet gun? Was that just for a brand new skin that comes bare and a used skin that came off of a car would already have everything necessary on it?

I don't know how many times I read through this post in the past couple years, telling myself I wouldn't do it, even when I didn't have a BP yet.

Yet here I am, stupidly awaiting my JDM Outback bumper to arrive. Going to hit the junkyards here soon and strip off a sedan rear bumper beam and brackets. Then I gotta redo my exhaust to get rid of these goofy-ass turndowns.

Think you could explain what you had to move over from your stock skin to the new one using a rivet gun? Was that just for a brand new skin that comes bare and a used skin that came off of a car would already have everything necessary on it?

Rivet gun????

Rivet gun????

If you go just the skin route you will need a pop rivet gun to move over some brackets on your stock skin. You will also use your existing clip/beam that goes accross the top lip of the skin and is used to clip the top lip to the car. The JDM one will not work[/color]

From your OP.

Yea i didn't remember that but it must be for the side or corner clips not sure.

Been a long time ago.

Its pretty easy you will see what you need once you get the sedan beam the beam mounts and the skin. Also get some of the pop it clips you use on your original bumper.

Good Luck!

• 4 months later...

I bought a used JDM bumper from HKC-Speed that already had the metal brackets riveted on. From reading this post and what HKC-Speed told me, I thought I needed brackets off a USDM bumper. I didn't want to take the brackets off my bumper so I started looking for used. No one is selling them used but luckily I found a guy on subaruoutback.org who was getting rid of a bumper. I paid him a small fee and he drilled out the rivets on his and mailed them to me. I also bought a rivet gun on Amazon because I didn't own one.

When they arrived I compared them to the JDM one and they looked exactly the same.

So you do not need the USDM brackets if your JDM bumper already has them. It will bolt right up. But you DO need a USDM Legacy sedan metal bumper frame which I was able to find for cheap at a junk yard.

IMG_2981.jpg.1d29be7cebd4fd089d0f510e12357db0.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg.047210cf7e3e6f1598968ce20e10bdc3.jpg

I also decorated my JDM bumper with a JDM Legacy "cargo step panel" from japanparts for about $150 including shipping. I chose the Legacy one over the Outback because it's stainless steel. The Outback version is made of a black plastic material. I later realized that the Legacy version is thinner than the Outback version because the JDM legacy bumper is probably only like 3" deep, haha.

Knowing that, I still think the stainless steel cargo step panel looks great even though it's not made for my JDM Outback bumper.

Sorry for the dirty car :lol:

IMG_2984.jpg.5a5237307706ddb62161b5fa8c8b65d4.jpg

• 1 year later...