LegacyGT.com

Buying soon - questions

Hey all. I ran a 2000 OB wagon from 2012 to last summer. It was lowered on Legacy KYBs and H&R lowering springs, and had a few other minor mods. Loved it. I got to where I felt it was old enough that I should get something newer/safer for dad duties, and planned to get an 08-09 OB, but at the same time my father decided to get out of his 2012 Legacy sedan and I bought it instead. I have had it a little over a year and a half and have realized I should have said no to my father and gotten another wagon - so now I'm looking for a wagon ;)

Specifically, you guessed it, an 08-09 Outback. I'll sell the Legacy and bank the difference if things go well.

I have similar plans to the old one, and therefore some questions:

1. Lowering. I plan to do 05-09 Legacy GT Koni shocks, KYB or similar front strut donors for the inserts, and factory Legacy GT springs (instead of full-on lowering springs like my old car). Can anyone give me a good source for the LGT wagon springs other than hoping for used ones to pop up? I've heard of Annapolis Subaru but am curious about other OEM part sources.

2. Radio. I test-drove an '08 just yesterday though I don't plan to buy until February or so. It had the HK stereo and the sound was OK by me, but I'd like a newer headunit with Carplay or similar, and/or navigation, and a reverse camera. Crutchfield indicates that in a car with normal climate controls this should be no problem. I'm looking at a car or two with automatic climate though, and Crutchfield seems to think that replacing the headunit in these cars is impossible.

A cursory search tells me that running the JDM faceplate will cure this problem. I'm kinda just wanting to verify that here, and ask a good place to source one if needed - any advice appreciated.

3. Sunroof. If I have my way, I'll find a car without the huge sun/moonroof, but I'm wondering - do they have many problems? I've had several cars with moonroofs over the years and never actually had a problem; the size of this one though makes me wonder if it might leak or have operation issues. Again, any info appreciated.

4. Navigation - this is another "I don't really want it," I'd rather have the dash cubby, but should I end up with the nav I'm curious if it's any good. Can anyone tell me how it holds up against modern units? Is it even a touchscreen? How does one update the maps etc? And if it's not great, how much of a pain is it to remove and replace with the cubby?

Finally, is there anything specific I should look for while inspecting potential purchases? Trouble areas for rust, etc?

Thanks for any and all input!

Hueberger subaru (I think that's the spelling) is the go to for oe online dealer parts sales. I also like the layout of Subaru online parts. But honestly I'd just throw up a wtb. Plenty of people changing suspension out here.

Yea automatic climate controls means the jdm dash piece. It's pretty straight forward but some extra harnesses and ish. Crutchfield doesn't know what they are talking about there but that's not unexpected considering the answer. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html

I haven't read about major issues with the sunroof. Mine is fine. With the way issues are on these cars, I'd think I'd read more issues about it. I think I read once about someone's drain tube clogging. I should check mine before the next snow I guess.

Can't answer about the nav specifically. I find the cubby useful for sunglasses but I need to stop because I want to put gauges there. Most people do that or put a tablet there. But if you get a Carplay radio (which is my plan) you are gonna get better nav either way.

Oh if you read around here. The turbo models straight up blow engines. It's a common issue. If you look at a turbo model, get a compression test and get the downpipe removed to check the turbo condition. And then there's a bunch of like you should do immediately things to make sure it continues to be good.

The non turbo 2.5 leak at the head gaskets like many subarus. If you want a super reliable car (you said dad mobile) then try to find a h6 model. Apparently the main short coming is the transmission could be better. But it's apparently much better with a tune.

Don't let me steer you away from a disguised wrx dad mobile. I adore mine. I also don't have kids and could literally light a pile of money on fire.

Find a nice LGT wagon. have a real Subie performance shop look it over and your set. I always tell people that if your going to get into the boosted world of Subaru be ready. You really need to know what these car will do.

No matter what car you buy there is going to be some issues. just like said above. N/A models tend to have HG problems. turbo motor don't really blow, more of the turbo goes. I have never had a motor blow in any Subaru I have had or any other car.

Please pop the hood and check all fluids every other week, after long trips, and top off items that are low and you will be set. people just do not check under the hood these days.:mad:

The HK Radio wasn't available until 2009. It is better than stock or the non HK 2012 Legacy stereo, but it isn't going blow your mind either. As you have already figure out the 4th Gen radio is pretty limited. It would be nice to be able to have BT calling in my 2009 OB.

What are you looking to buy 2.5i, 3.0R or Turbo model?

I'm the one guy who thinks the sound from the stock radio with the sub and mid range speaks in my 2005 wagon, sounds so much better then the HK system in my Spec B.

I also feel its a better system at filling the car with sound then the 2016 or 2018 Outback 3.6R's.

XT's and GT's are great if you can find a good one that has been Tuned since early on.

IMO, don't worry about a nav system, just use Waze app on your phone. I have a Weathertech cup phone holder, works great. Even the Nav in my 09, is a waste compared to Waze.

I will say when I bought the 2005 new, I didn't want a sun roof, based on the issues with my previous two LegacyGT wagons. My 09 Spec B has not had any issues with its sunroof...knock on wood...

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for all info so far.

I'm looking for a 2.5i - might consider a 3.0R. No turbos, I've played that game before and don't want to mess with it for a daily driver. I like the look of a lowered Outback over a regular Legacy wagon, and while it's not too hard to find an Outback where I live the Leg wagons are pretty rare.

This also isn't my first rodeo with a Subaru (had my old OB for 7 years, plus most of the rest of my family runs Subarus also). I'm under the hood most weekends to look things over - thanks for the good advice though, it always bears repeating :D

Any other info gratefully received.

There was a thread a while back about a 3.0r for sale. The basic gist was nearly every problem with the 2.5 wasn't an issue with the 3.0 while giving you the power of the turbo. If you don't care about a manual and you see one of those, it seems the one to get. They also were a higher end package so you tend to get better interior and what nots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all info so far.

I'm looking for a 2.5i - might consider a 3.0R. No turbos, I've played that game before and don't want to mess with it for a daily driver. I like the look of a lowered Outback over a regular Legacy wagon, and while it's not too hard to find an Outback where I live the Leg wagons are pretty rare.

This also isn't my first rodeo with a Subaru (had my old OB for 7 years, plus most of the rest of my family runs Subarus also). I'm under the hood most weekends to look things over - thanks for the good advice though, it always bears repeating :D

Any other info gratefully received.

The 2.5i head gasket do eventually leak, ideally you can find an Outback that has had it replaced already. I am sure if you have had older Subaru EJ25 your familiar with headgasket. The 3.0R do seem to be the most reliable of the models for this generation.

I have been off and on looking for a 2009 OB 3.0R for over a year and they are really rare. The couple I have seen all had more miles than I wanted. The 2008 3.0R are much more common. (I want the black carpet that all 2009 had, all 2008 3.0R are LL Bean edition with beige interiors)

I'm interested by the statement about the 3.0 being more reliable. I'm well aware of the 2.5 headgasket issue... do the 3.0 headgaskets fare better than the 2.5? My gut says the boxer configuration would be equally hard on headgaskets regardless. I do know the 3.0 has a timing chain instead of a belt, so that must help a lot.

Honestly, even if it's more reliable, I'd be concerned about future parts availability considering that the 3.0 and the 5-speed auto trans are just way less common than the 2.5.

Here's the thread that came up recently with people claiming some areas the 3.0r is superior.

2008 Legacy 3.0R price inquiry.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=5383&share_tid=280586&url=https%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D280586&share_type=t&link_source=app

I'm not sure how much interchangeability there is in the 2.5, 3.0, and 3.6 engines. They did use the 3.0 in the generation prior and the Tribeca so there's that at least.

As far as the transmission, I thought it was the same but maybe I'm wrong. It seems that you could really bolt up any subaru trans to any subaru boxer but I could also be wrong about that as well. The transmissions really only seem to die when idiots with turbos thrash them though.

I'm interested by the statement about the 3.0 being more reliable. I'm well aware of the 2.5 headgasket issue... do the 3.0 headgaskets fare better than the 2.5? My gut says the boxer configuration would be equally hard on headgaskets regardless. I do know the 3.0 has a timing chain instead of a belt, so that must help a lot.

Honestly, even if it's more reliable, I'd be concerned about future parts availability considering that the 3.0 and the 5-speed auto trans are just way less common than the 2.5.

The head gasket issue with the 2.5i seems to be mostly due to the material of the gasket. The GT 2.5 don't have a leaking head gasket issue because they use MLS head gasket. Subaru changed the head gasket to MLS in 2010 up Legacy/Outback 2.5i. I have yet to hear about 3.0R with blown or leaking head gaskets, I am not sure about the material used. The 3.0R has a 89.2mm bore vs 99.5mm bore of the EJ25, so the additional material around the cylinder probably helps seal as well.

I still trust my 2.5i Outback and plan on driving another 3 years or so (I also did MLS headgaskets when the original headgaskets were leaking), but I do wish I had an EZ30 motor instead.

There is all the information you need for the 3.0 out there. There is lots of good info on this thread and in the Outback forums.

I love my 3.0. Thankfully I was able to test drive both a GT and 3.0 back to back and I preferred the 3.0. Not just because of the test drive but because of the reliability, in general, and compared to the GT. Mainly not having to worry about the turbo.

If your are planning on getting a 2.5i but are considering the 3.0. Just make sure you get to test drive one. If you don't mind the lower fuel mileage and running premium. You be have a smile on your face a lot more with the 3.0 then the 2.5i.