LegacyGT.com

Turbo Seal questions

So I pulled a vf40 turbo off a legacy gt in the junkyard about a year ago so that I had a back up in case mine went out. There is no shaft play on it so I bought it. If I remember correctly the care it came off had 220000 miles so chances are it is a newer turbo. I took the turbo to a turbo shop to have them look at it and it got a clean bill of health. I took of the turbine housing to get a look at the inside and make sure the wheel wasn't contacting the housing, and so the shop could get a better look at it without charging me 40 dollars. When I removed it there was an red rtv like gasket material. Is that what I use to seal it back up, or is there a special o ring or sealant for the housing to seal. Thanks

I believe there is no seal required in that location.

JmP6889928 is a member who is our "go to guy" to rebuild these turbo's, PM him.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I happened to watch one of those show's, Wheeler Dealer yesterday and they were rebuilding a turbo and did not use any sealant.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

While I am on the topic of turbos, the reason I am replacing the turbo is because I have alot of oil in my intake system that I think is coming from the turbo. I have a crawford AOS so I don't think any crankcase oil is getting in from there, is there anything else that could be causing the oil or is it most likely the turbo.

Yes, most likely its the turbo. A little film of oil in the inlet to the tmic is normal, very little coating.

OH, the PCV could be coughed too. If you can get it off the block, it should rattle when you shake it.

Mine rattled on the wagon when I put the ej257 in back in May 2012, its still working fine.

When I pulled my OEM VF40 it had a bit of red silicone sealant, pretty sure that was between the CHRA and the compressor housing (?). It has been a couple years and my memory is hazy. I did use a bit of sealant when rebuilding my blown VF40 with the new CHRA from Mellett, seemed like a good idea. I doubt that red vs. copper would matter in that spot so use what you've got.

And just FYI, it's possible for a VF40 to not have any significant shaft play or any evidence of wheels contacting the housings, but still blow oil out the exhaust to the tune of a quart in 90 miles. Anytime you swap in a different turbo, whether used or new or rebuilt, watch your oil level like a hawk for a little while.

Yes, most likely its the turbo. A little film of oil in the inlet to the tmic is normal, very little coating.

OH, the PCV could be coughed too. If you can get it off the block, it should rattle when you shake it.

Mine rattled on the wagon when I put the ej257 in back in May 2012, its still working fine.

The AOS I have deleted the pcv valve. It is alot more than a little film and it pools up in the coupler between the throttle body and the topmount intercooler. If there were moving parts in the intake, they would have plenty of oil:lol:

And just FYI, it's possible for a VF40 to not have any significant shaft play or any evidence of wheels contacting the housings, but still blow oil out the exhaust to the tune of a quart in 90 miles. Anytime you swap in a different turbo, whether used or new or rebuilt, watch your oil level like a hawk for a little while.

I hope that's not the case, but hopefully it will be a little better because my oil consumption has gotten significantly worse over the past few months.