LegacyGT.com

Who's in MA?

Billy Dagwood

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Snagged some 16" alloys for $100 at local scrapyard, ordered Pirelli winter rubber from Tire Rack & chose the local pickup discount as I'm about an hour from their CT location. Went to pick em up when it had snowed 1/4 inch or so, major distress on highways and byways, felt good to be in Subaru as I drove past big Ford sedans in the ditch backwards, jackknifed tractor trailers, Nissan SUVs jammed into the guardrail!

Now for some real snow on my way to fabulous ski hills of Southern VT...

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How is the reliability of Audi to you? Any major issues with it? iirc you got is used?

Knocking on wood, it's been pretty good to me so far. It's a 2015 I picked up used in Sept 2017 with about 13.5k miles on it. It was a dealer manager's car for the first like 5k (~1 year), and then sold to someone who lived in Long Island and barely put any miles on it (~8.5k in ~2yrs). I just rolled over 37k this weekend.

The B8.5 generation (2013 to 2016, but more-so 2014 to 2016) is pretty solid. They had a bunch of issues with the B8 generation (2009 to 2012). So far it seems the B9 is doing well and I think they're doing a facelift B9.5.

I've had two recalls. One for an auxiliary heater in the dash (essentially electric space heater in the vent system that helps create heat before the car warms up) and the other for an electronic coolant pump that runs when you shut the car off to ensure the turbo cools properly. Both had warnings of potentially starting a fire in the vehicle :lol:.

Otherwise just been keeping up on maintenance. And boy is it not cheap at the dealer. I've now found a highly respected, semi-local shop who is about 25% cheaper than the dealer so I'll be using them from here on out. Oil intervals are 10k but I'm swapping to 5k now. It has so far burned around a half of a quart over a 10k OCI, on each of my first two changes. As learned with Subaru, keep it topped off.

I've already slapped on mods, but not really power stuff. Wheels, suspension, rear sway, intake (whooshy whirs, no tune required), cat back (subtle grumble), F/R caliper upgrade, and some cosmetic changes (playing around with some vinyl to accent and get rid of chrome). I bought the car Certified Pre-Owned which gives me a warranty until 100k miles or 6 year from original purchase date. I'll hit the 6 years in June 2020 before the 100k miles. At that point I'll just do a Stage 1 OTS tune, probably from APR, and call it a day. The power curve and numbers on Stage 1 are supposedly 240whp and 320wtq, peak TQ at ~2600 RPM, and that's enough to keep me happy. The car is flex fuel and supposedly those go up to 280/360 with E85, which I can find around here. Maybe tune the TCU at some point since shops are working on OTS tunes for that as well. Besides that, the only thing I really have my eyes on for future stuff would be to swap to a set of S4 seats and door cards. Maybe some more cosmetic stuff.

The aftermarket is huge and there's constantly used parts available. There's also a big aftermarket for people pulling in parts from Germany / Europe.

I just went to an event called Avantoberfest this weekend which celebrates Avants but all cars welcome. It starts on Saturday at Lime Rock Park in CT (we don't get to run the track, just gather there in the morning), and does a scenic cruise to Stratton in VT. Then on Sunday there was a drive up Mt. Equinox in VT (pretty awesome, twisty drive, with nice views at a few points along the way) and then an event BBQ at the organizers' place they rent. It's more of a rally / enthusiast gathering than a show. There are no awards or anything, but they do give people tickets to enter into raffles for free stuff. I won a Thule backpack last year. Look at the #avantoberfest or #avantoberfest2019 hashtags on instagram. My IG handle (public) is @altheaallroad if you use that.

It's been fun so far, but I understand the car is still young.

Edited by snow05gtRI

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
I haven't visited a junk yard in a decade, been using these forums for parts also recently FB Marketplace since sometimes you can find tow truck drivers trying to unload stuff from abandoned lot cars.

This may be a little gratuitous, but I was hoping to generate (eventual sticky?) a list of all the Ma$$holes on the forum. So who's here?

I'll make this alphabetical:

**now with locations! thanks Superhawk!

99 people so far

AlpineXT-------------------------Webster

Always Dirty---------------------Boston (south shore?)

Andyjo----------------------------Burlington

bama-----------------------------Wareham

Beanboy

BigBad----------------------------Stowe

BigInALegacy---------------------Fitchburg

Billy Dagwood-------------------Plymouth

Black08XT-----------------------Framingham

BlackonBlack Limited------------Canton

bman-----------------------------Waltham

BostonXT-------------------------Dorchester

bretm1---------------------------Buzzards Bay

bryan25rs------------------------Cape Cod

BuruLGT--------------------------Holliston

cartman

Coelli-----------------------------Canton

Cutback99------------------------Cambridge

dark_rex-------------------------Waltham/Boston

digitalh3lix-----------------------Medford

docsmile71-----------------------Wellesley

doogdog--------------------------South Hamilton

drifterx---------------------------Wayland/Randolph

D0WNxSH1FT--------------------Boston

DiamondGT-----------------------West Roxbury

dr. pepper------------------------Groton

Dsfa

dv8ingvector---------------------Cape Cod

dvon1981-------------------------Allston

edmundu--------------------------Northborough

EmtJay33-------------------------Framingham

FameMax-------------------------Norwell

fazzster---------------------------West Brookfield

FiftynineFleetside----------------Boston

firedawgs-------------------------Cape Cod

Fox06LegacyGT------------------Boston

fzanetti---------------------------Somerville

GetAwayDriver-------------------Norwell

gibjer-----------------------------Shrewsbury

GuyGanj--------------------------Boston

hakgwai--------------------------Watertown

hondas123

horknfbr--------------------------Wichendon

ilh---------------------------------Acton

lvethesnow-----------------------Canton

j255c-----------------------------UMass (Amherst?)

Jack ffr1846---------------------Hopkinton

JLow03---------------------------outside Worcester

Jonathan-------------------------Natick

jxjjang----------------------------Springfield

k2blt-----------------------------Barre

kuoman--------------------------Boston?

LGTFan 88-----------------------Norwell

LEGACY LIZARD-----------------Wareham?

LEGACYGT2007------------------Bridgewater

LegacyMUN2k6------------------Dunstable

LGTLuver-------------------------Cambridge

LongHiway-----------------------Framingham

Lordchilly------------------------Quincy

massdrewski---------------------somewhere on Cape Cod

mgiguere20----------------------Worcester

MRLegacyGT---------------------Newburyport

MSA AX--------------------------Peabody

muddy02-------------------------Agawam

Natheya--------------------------Dracut

nhesketh-------------------------Eastham

noam

Noel------------------------------Northborough

OffRoamin-----------------------Wilbraham

omegasupreme------------------Medford

Paradiso-------------------------Northampton

Raggededge---------------------North Attleboro

rao741---------------------------North Andover

rayu------------------------------Wellesley

redfly17--------------------------Boston

rob_m----------------------------Dracut

robinlsb---------------------------Salisbury

:Rotary_Amuse:------------------Charlton

RoyalGTLmtd---------------------Agawam

rudy------------------------------Allston

Scans (007)----------------------Leominster

schwinn--------------------------Gloucester

scoobaroo------------------------Worcester

speedeeLGT----------------------Milford

Sportwagon----------------------Marblehead

stephybiglips---------------------Leominster

SteveFromMass------------------Westminster

STi Boy---------------------------Holbrook MA

subajay---------------------------um, his girlfriend's house.

subaru key collector------------Natick

SubieAA---------------------------Boston

SuperhawkLGT-------------------Leicester

TheNwScubyKid134--------------Webster

Topher----------------------------Pittsfield

Umass94-------------------------Lancaster

unclemat-------------------------Boston

Underdog-------------------------Fitchburg

VVG-------------------------------Southy

wrx2blackGT---------------------Hanover

Beamercub-----------------------Boston

Hey guys, just moved to Mass from PA. I plan to protect my wagon from the even worse winter salt. Question, any suggestions on good pick n pull junk yards in Mass, CT, NH, RI?
There aren't many junkyards in the eastern part of Mass that actually allow you to walk the yards and pull what you want. However, between Car-part.com, these forums and the FB marketplace, I've been able to find everything I need/ want.

Scotty

I am fine with heading out west in Mass if that is what is needed. U-Pull it yards are extremely in expensive compared to CL, FB or even the Forums. Back in PA I got my entire black leather GT wagon interior swap for around $120 minus the front seats. You can't touch that kind of pricing in private sales.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I am fine with heading out west in Mass if that is what is needed. U-Pull it yards are extremely in expensive compared to CL, FB or even the Forums. Back in PA I got my entire black leather GT wagon interior swap for around $120 minus the front seats. You can't touch that kind of pricing in private sales.
Whereabouts in Mass are you? Also, on FB there is MassSubaru and MassSubaru Marketplace. I've found decent stuff there as well.

Scotty

• 1 month later...
There aren't many junkyards in the eastern part of Mass that actually allow you to walk the yards and pull what you want. However, between Car-part.com, these forums and the FB marketplace, I've been able to find everything I need/ want.

Scotty

What? There's two pick n pulls in RI, one in Worcester (Sam's), and a few in the Billerica area (Jack's and Hollands) off the top of my head.

-Justin

What? There's two pick n pulls in RI, one in Worcester (Sam's), and a few in the Billerica area (Jack's and Hollands) off the top of my head.

-Justin

What are the one's in RI?

I just went to Sam's last week. I am impressed with the organization but since all the cars rest on their frames getting anything under the car is rough.

I'll have to check out the two you mentioned near Billerica. I found another that I plan to check out called Henry's in Blackstone.

Thanks for the heads up on the other yards!

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

What are the one's in RI?

I just went to Sam's last week. I am impressed with the organization but since all the cars rest on their frames getting anything under the car is rough.

I'll have to check out the two you mentioned near Billerica. I found another that I plan to check out called Henry's in Blackstone.

Thanks for the heads up on the other yards!

The two in Rhode Island are Pick n Pull. One in Cumberland one if Johnston.

Sam's (and I'd assume most other yards do this as well) has a big stack of those OEM style scissor jacks when you first walk in that you can grab and use. Obviously, bringing your own jack (and maybe a 2x4 to rest it on) would be easier. Sam's does tend to get a bit muddy when it rains.

If you need to get something off the bottom of a car, such as suspension stuff, ask one of the forklift operators driving around and they will put the car in the air on one of the big steel crates that are laying around so that you can work under it.

-Justin