LegacyGT.com

Raw fuel smell

Hello everyone! Just picked up a 05 OBXT. Noticed when letting fresh air through climate control I notice a strong smell of fuel. I also smell it in the engine bay but I dont see any fuel leaks. Any recommendation on where to check or if there are common spots that usually leak?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Check all the rubber joints between the metal fuel lines underneath the intake manifold - they can seep. Also, pay attention to all the lines in the evap system - labelled in green in the diagram here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-2006-lgt-colored-vacuum-routing-diagram-143225.html

Any leak in the evap will, by definition, intermittently release fuel vapor into the engine bay.

You'll probably want to remove the alternator to get a good look under the manifold - even then it's sort of a pain. You can replace evap lines with the manifold in place. In fact, on a car that old you'd be well advised to proactively replace all the vacuum lines under the manifold that are hardened.

If you spot a fuel line leak, you will have to pull the manifold off unless you have exceptionally nimble hands and a lot of time to burn.

Oh, and the first advice any new owner gets is to replace the catted up-pipe with a catless one, and to remove the oil filter screens from the banjo bolts that secure oil lines which feed the turbo and AVCS solenoids. Plenty of info on where they're at if you search.

oh, and the first advice any new owner gets is to replace the catted up-pipe with a catless one, and to remove the oil filter screens from the banjo bolts that secure oil lines which feed the turbo and avcs solenoids. Plenty of info on where they're at if you search.

+100

Years ago I had to lockwire the hose ends on the fuel lines under #2 intake runner on the plastic intake manifold. I can't find the pictures now, but it was about 10 years ago.

See if the end of the fuel hose looks wet its behind the AC compressor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Found the leak! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It was under the manifold driver side on a 3-4 inch rubber hose. Tighten it up! The problem now is that it randomly seeping temperature wise when it's cold but when the car warms up it stops. Very intermittent. Clamps are as tight as I could get them. Was thinking of changing the clamps but that damn work area looks stupid tight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yea if your gonna change that stuff I'd just pull the manifold and replace all the old hoses at once. I however tried putting on new clamps in different orientations and they interfered with getting the manifold back on.

The clamps have a torque spec of like 0.9nm which is obscenely low. Idk if over tightening can damage the hose or not. I think maxcapacity did a wire tie around one of them but I may be mistaken.

Edited by Nonamedude

To me, the fact that you can't get the clamp tight enough to stop the seep implies that the lines are hardened and due for replacement. I've never not been able to get a good seal with OEM clamps and pliable lines. I'd take a weekend to pull of the manifold and get everything replaced.

While you're at it. Get the two throttle body coolant hoses and the hose from the water pipe. It's on diagram water pipe water pipe. I think all those cost me $100 at the dealer. That's new clamps all the soft fuel lines and three coolant hoses.

There's also an evap breather hose on the 08 I'm not sure if it's in the 05 with the side feeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obviously the fuel lines are assembled upside down...great Engineering.

If any of you are Engineering students...make want to learn from the mistakes of others.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

^ good idea, its not like your going to need those threads on the end of the screw. Just grab the end with the pliers, loosen it, spin it, tighten it.

obviously the fuel lines are assembled upside down...great Engineering.

If any of you are Engineering students...make want to learn from the mistakes of others.

That's exactly why I made sure to point all the screws forwards when doing the topfeed conversion. Absolutely nothing preventing them from being that way.

That's exactly why I made sure to point all the screws forwards when doing the topfeed conversion. Absolutely nothing preventing them from being that way.

All I can picture the that at the factory they assemble them upside down. Plastic intake manifold below the piping. Hence, to them the screws are facing up when they install them.

That's another thing I've noticed lately with young Engineers and Designers, here at a major Aerospace Corporation. Even Managers, they fail to see the impact of there short sightedness by only being focused in the problem at hand. Not "thinking about the outcome", what it may effect down the road.

Edited by Max Capacity

All I can picture the that at the factory they assemble them upside down. Plastic intake manifold below the piping. Hence, to them the screws are facing up when they install them.

That was my assumption as well. Makes sense in an assembly line type thinking. Intake manifold, bolt on TGV, flip upside down, attach fuel lines and injectors. The block has the little nubbins for the tgv to block gasket to stay in place, so you flip it over and attach throttle body and intake manifold in one step, easy as pie. At least that's the order for the top feeds. The side feeds have slightly different routing it looks like but with the same clamp issue I'd guess it's similar.

I wonder if they still do that on the newer vehicles or if they ever bothered to reorient them.

^ good idea, its not like your going to need those threads on the end of the screw. Just grab the end with the pliers, loosen it, spin it, tighten it.
That was my rationalization and method. Now go back and like my post!