LegacyGT.com

Front End Roar - Bearings are good

Hello everyone. My first post. We have a 2015 Legacy 2.5L AWD. The front end started roaring and got louder. Its more of a humm. The more speed the faster the humm and the louder it gets. I thought it was bearings so I replaced both of them last night and the sound is still there. It doesn't change with RPMs. I put the vehicle in neutral and the sound doesn't change. The car has 135K miles on it. Any suggestions I can check before I take it to a technician?

Thanks in advance.

wow. You have more miles than my 05! Have they carefully checked the rear wheel bearings too? It is possible that the cabin and your seating position give you a false impression that the sound comes from the front.

A method I used is to put the car on 4 jack stands and get someone to put the car in drive and slowly increase the speed. Then you walk around and carefully listen to each wheel. That's how I identified a bad wheel bearing.

Any suggestions I can check before I take it to a technician?
You said the noise doesn't change with engine rpm. Does it indeed change with road speed?

Brake squealers, perhaps? Seized brake caliper slider pins causing a pad to drag on the rotor? Axle CV joint(s) worn or binding? Badly worn tires? Front or rear differential?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I replaced the wheel bearings to no avail. The noise is still there. The noise does increase with speed. My wife took it to a mechanic this morning and he said transmission but admitted he is not a Subaru guru so I have an appointment with an import transmission specalist later in the week. From what I have been reading I am betting it is the center differential. All four tires are in good shape and are less than 6 months old.

From what I have been reading I am betting it is the center differential.

Your 2015 Legacy doesn't have a center differential. Instead, it has a multiplate transfer clutch (MTC) that's designed to provide controlled slip. If your tires are properly matched, the MTC slip should be virtually zero as you drive down a straight road.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png